Brake and clutch fluid reservoirs.

Correct...

If the light stays on, disconnect the wires at the reservoir cap. If the light is still on, the fault is at the parking brake handle switch. The switches grounds the light, so any place the wire chafes could be suspect.

I would think twice about using epoxy inside the reservoir, you need to confirm that it won't break down over time & contaminate the fluid. On the outside that's not such a big deal, since it on top & not likely to react with the fluid.

My clutch reservoir has similar cracks on the upper half, I realised it when I tried adding a little fluid.

The brake reservior is new, but I don't care for it or the placement..

19_0008.jpg

... so, I'd like to get one that could be repositioned in the stock location. Where it is, the level sensor sets off the "brake" warning light everytime I go over a bump, so I disconnected it for the time being.

I looked on eBay for E32, 740, etc.. reservoirs, and even used ones are more than the cost of new individual reservoirs from Ricambi (NL), so I guess I'm just gonna do that.

Got a good used reserviour (sp?) from Louis's part car last Sat, and my two new units from Ricambi (NL) arrived yesterday, so I put them in today while I had the cowl apart.

Now they're back where they belong:

X19reserviours0001.jpg

This is what the PO had installed at some point (drilled holes & routed lines through cowl):

19_0008.jpg

..caused the brake warning light & relays to click everytime I cornered over uneven road surfaces, as the hood must have been bumping the level check - drove me nuts.

Just have to plug these two holes.. time to dig through my collection of Volvo firewall plugs

X19reserviours0002.jpg

Now I can get the battery cover on with ease!!

Ok, here is mine. Came out of a 94 7series, cut tabs off and presto! (with float switch) Also a pic of the old one.

cut mounting tabs off with bandsaw

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake and cluthc reserviors

I have several of the original brake and clutch reserviors and I am getting rid of all of my X parts, so PM me if you want to go with the factory originals.

Allen

went to the pic a part today and saw 3 of the bmw setups. Not hard to locate and under 10 if you can find them.

Not good.

I wish that I could say that the repair worked. But, it didn't. After a few months, it started to peel off. Rats! I'm living with it for the time being, but if the crack gets below the seam, I'll have to replace the reservoir. Or, try and solder it back together.

Don

Give the bmw trick a try - works great for me and looks like it has always been there(and you retain the float switch, as long as you don't forget to get it and connector when at the JY).

I wish that I could say that the repair worked. But, it didn't. After a few months, it started to peel off. Rats! I'm living with it for the time being, but if the crack gets below the seam, I'll have to replace the reservoir. Or, try and solder it back together.

That's too bad - I have one that's leaking at the bottom now, and I really hate scrapping an increasingly hard to find part over a near-invisible pinhole.

For now I've wrapped the entire reservoir in aluminum foil, which at least keeps the seepage under control.

Back