'74 Restoration

I'm not a purist nor do I believe in trailer queens. I flog my '85 regularly. The older I get, the more I except the fact that things don't stay pretty forever. My biggest problem is finding time to drive them all. This on and my 850 will likely need to be sold off.

Impressive and looks great. Will you drive it or will it be a trailer queen?

I'm not a purist nor do I believe in trailer queens. I flog my '85 regularly. The older I get, the more I except the fact that things don't stay pretty forever. My biggest problem is finding time to drive them all. This on and my 850 will likely need to be sold off.
Outstanding!
I am willing to help with the driving if you need help!

I didn't see this until now... WOW Mark...

Absolutely amazing work.

So are you saying you are gonna sell the 850 and WHICH X1/9?

I believe exactly what you said about "drivers and queens"... but a restoration like this one would be better placed in a museum. I'd hate to see it get dusty!

Most likely the 850 and this '74 X1/9. Will have to decide after it's finished. Hard to justify having two yellow X1/9s. Maybe I should just repaint the '85 :wacko:

Absolutely amazing work.

So are you saying you are gonna sell the 850 and WHICH X1/9?

I believe exactly what you said about "drivers and queens"... but a restoration like this one would be better placed in a museum. I'd hate to see it get dusty!

Thanks guys for the high fives. I get a personal satisfaction from saving these cars. This car would have surely gone to the dump if my friend Sean hadn't spotted it languishing under an oak tree in an elderly man's yard.

Mark, I don't even have the words, absolutely outstanding in every way. I am also restoring an 82 yellow beauty and will now strive even harder to at least shadow yours. My hat is off to you sir. :)

Hey Mark! Doing pretty good. Been busy with the engineering career since moving out here so the cars haven't progressed as fast as I'd like but such is life. My shop keeps improving at least :) . I generally like it out here but still miss a lot of CA and would gladly take the Sacramento valley heat over the humidity out here.

Almost finished

Just need to do the seats and a few details. Spent the past couple weeks doing the carpet and restoring as much of the original interior as possible.

I'm not very good at photo documenting. I get too dirty to stop and take many pictures, but here's one I took after I drug it home:

It was in amazing condition considering it sat outside (TTBOMK) since 1979.

I'd love to see your starting point.....

I just NOW came to this conclusion...

The ONLY thing I can find that STOPS me from thinking this is a 100% Brand New car and ANNOUNCES its "restoration" are the discolored plastics.

That is, the clips and hoses and reservoirs... maybe the regulator cover. Restoring or replacing all those would be a bunch of work, especially at this point but I just gotta say it.

I'm not putting this down or Mark down in any way... its just the resolution I came to as to what was the difference between a new car or "museum piece" and a "1000 Point Restoration".

In any case... WELL DONE, OUTSTANDING! And I am afraid if it were mine I'd do the obscene and place it in a glass case!

Back