70s muscle cars V electrics

In the not so terribly distant future when all cars are full electric and gasoline is a controlled substance, the price of gas powered cars will drop to scrap value except for the few that are kept in museums and personal home dens (after knocking down a wall to get it in.

That is, until cold fusion is viable and something the size of a shoe box will power any car.....for nothing.

Hey, it's either I practice my pessimism or go outside in cold weather and shovel snow......again.

And the car will fold up into a handy case, so no parking fees either.

In the not so terribly distant future when all cars are full electric and gasoline is a controlled substance, the price of gas powered cars will drop to scrap value except for the few that are kept in museums and personal home dens (after knocking down a wall to get it in.

That is, until cold fusion is viable and something the size of a shoe box will power any car.....for nothing.

Hey, it's either I practice my pessimism or go outside in cold weather and shovel snow......again.
This sounds very much like "Red Barchetta" from RUSH.

When I was in high school I could not afford to own a car so it was the family wagon for me.
In my senior year met a girl that was a bit crazy and wanted to go with me but I tried to stay away from her.
One day she showed up in a 440 Dodge and let me drive it, she said it was her boyfriends.
Of course I drove it like I stole it.
I think that was the fastest car I ever drove.
After my stint in the navy I had a few nice cars, some pretty fast and some not so.
As an artist I have always put looks before speed to a degree.
When I got 63 Renault Caravel I did a fair job of combining the two but the big payoff was going around corners fast and acceleration was secondary.
That worked out because I was introduced to the wonderful world of Fiats.
Things like side drafts, cams and headers never seemed to make big difference but they sure could corner.
My last Fiat is the X19 I have had since 1995.
Developed an interest in electrics in the 80's so at the end of Dec. 99 I converted my 84 X to electric.
While it is not a barn burner it is about 3.5 seconds faster than a stock X19.
I still corners good and that is where the fun is.
Stick it in third and take it into a turn.
Coming out there is no lag, just hit the accelerator and feel the pull.
Having driven the same car with two different power sources I will tell you what I like and dislike about both.
ICE like; Had more rang, Fun shifting gears, loud exhaust.
Dislike; loud exhaust.
Electric like; no shifting needed, can feel the extra torque, not having to stop a gas stations, quiet.
Dislike; Uh.

Since their value is in a large part based on nostalgia, I would expect the prices of these cars to soon drop (if not already) as the people interested in them are dying off.
I thought the same thing about Harleys LONG before they finally started to drop off the market. Frankly I also though the muscle car thing would have died out long before now, so my views are obviously wrong again.

Going way off topic, but regarding electric vehicles. Like @carl I was very bored one night and watching some odd TV programs. A couple were featuring some racing series with electric vehicles. I was amazed how few of them completed a race. Apparently electric race cars are not at all reliable (yet). Really not relevant but it was obvious to me.

And another non-relevant point of interest with electric vehicles. Our local electric company has been jacking up their rates significantly in the last couple of years. Last year they had a total of 60% increase. More is already approved for this year. I wonder how much of that is due to the predicted increase in electricity demand as EVs become more common.

Last edited:
The difference is in the experience. Those of us of a certain age that grew up around over cammed, over carbureted, open header, ground pounding big blocks, hemis, side oilers, or insert your favorite here, find that a mash up of a cordless drill and a laptop does not a visceral experience make regardless of how quick their 0-60 time might be.
I guess that is the reason for those fake engine sound effects on electric cars? There's something I really don't get. :rolleyes:

1705714873513.jpeg

I guess that is the reason for those fake engine sound effects on electric cars? There's something I really don't get. :rolleyes:
They were actually added because people driving didn't like the silence (too creepy) and pedestrians couldn't hear the cars. In fact, companies added a slow "creep" to electrics in the 90s because people were used to their car slowing moving forward if they took their foot off the brake. Ever wonder why your phone camera sounds like an SLR when you snap a pic? same thing.

There's nothing wrong with electric cars, but today, they have limitations. Maybe, maybe, some day the limitations will be addressed successfully?
Until then ICE vehicles will be used, they simply have too many advantages. Frankly, we wouldn't be having this discussion if the politicians had not given the "electric solution" huge advantages (your tax dollars).
Let the market make the choices. If electrics work for you, and you're willing to forgo subsidies, go for it. If electrics (that are available today) don't work for you, well that's your choice.
Kinda related question: When will the infrastructure be in place to allow everyone - on earth - to charge their electric cars?

I was walking shop dog a month ago and was standing on the sidewalk while she investigated something interesting at the base of a mailbox. We then started walking past a guy's driveway and I almost got run over by the guy's electric car backing out. Scared the crap out of me (and the driver too I think as he was arm waving at me in a very agitated manner. Totally my fault for not watching where we were going but it still was very creepy.

I see a lot of electric cars with a strange sound, kind of like a power steering pump going bad. Is that a built in noise machine?

Is anyone keeping their phone in the rolled up sleeve on his white T shirt instead of a pack of cigarettes?
The best thing about an electric is the crazy quiet inside the cabin. So for long, seven, eight hour drives, they’d be perfect. But catch 22, since the constant time lost from recharging on a long trip could offset the benefit of comfy quiet.

electric cars with a strange sound, kind of like a power steering pump going bad. Is that a built in noise machine?
Yes. My daugter has an electric Kia, and it makes a kind of not quite 'white noise' whirring at around-town speeds, volume being speed dependent.
I don't know if it makes the sound on the highway.
Distinctly electronic sound, to my ear. It could have been made a more mechanical sound, but obviously they didn't want it to sound like an i.c. car.

My Son asked me to go and test drive a Tesla for his 18th my god what an experience just amazing but being the old fossil l am it made me go back in time and buy the car that gave me my youth back the smell of petrol and weird wet mould makes me smile but maybe we will have to convert to electric hopefully not in my lifetime

I have a feeling that folks in their 60s and older are not the target audience for electric cars.

In an alternative universe where the EPA never existed and the Japanese decided not to enter the US market, what would modern US built cars be like. Would they still be huge sedans with a carbureted motor?

I think it would depend on the price of fuel & state of the economy. The quest for "profitably made" (aka cheaper) would have the greatest impact.

what would modern US built cars be like. Would they still be huge sedans with a carbureted motor?
No alternate universe required, just take a short drive. Those giant trucks and SUVs that can't navigate through a drive-thru without backing up are America's new darling. They are not carbureted, and not a sedan, but it's clear the average American has always loved big and little seems to be changing, except for the Japanese - take a look at the size of a Tundra. Even they had to make some size alterations in this market.

No alternate universe required, just take a short drive. Those giant trucks and SUVs that can't navigate through a drive-thru without backing up are America's new darling. They are not carbureted, and not a sedan, but it's clear the average American has always loved big and little seems to be changing, except for the Japanese - take a look at the size of a Tundra. Even they had to make some size alterations in this market.
For the most part, consumers buy what they are told to buy. Since North America car companies have difficulty competing with Asian companies they have decided to focus on large SUVs and trucks where the profit margins are higher, and this is where they focus their marketing energy.

Makes total sense, why build cars in volume no one wants to buy....you know....like Fiat 500s.
My wife made it clear that her next car (currently have a Kia Optima) will be a car. No desire for an SUV. Us folks in our 70s are not the current volume buyers. I find it funny that all the 30 and 40 something "kids" make it quite clear they want nothing to do with a minivan but will then go out and buy a three row SUV without four wheel drive.....just a minivan sitting higher.

I don't know what the 20 something young parents are buying.

Back