Making a diffuser

Bjorn Nilson

True Classic
Juli was rainy, August was rainy, and soon time for Berta to hybirnate again, but I've promised myself to do at least one improvement on the car every season. During the week I started to fabricate a diffuser to match the Carbon fiber front splitter and rear wing. Completely useless but will hopefully look nice when ready. I Folded a 3mm alu plate and made fins out of plywood. All to be covered in Carbon Fiber. First time I tried welding in Aluminium with my Parweld welding machine. Not as difficult as expected.
IMG_20230909_145816.jpg
IMG_20230909_145702.jpg

I will replace the standard grill with fins and a aluminium mesh.

If I ever decide to build my other (ratty) X into a "Outlaw" - something of a track car for the street, I plan on making a diffuser for it. Although in my case there is a practical reason for doing that. The car has severe rust in some rather odd places; all of the usual places and important structural aspects are rust free and solid, but other areas are completely rotted out. One such place was the entire rear panel below the trunk floor - all the way across to both fenders. So I just cut it off. Sort of like this early K20 swapped X I saw many years ago:
5605782 - Copy.jpg

That got me thinking about using a diffuser to help fill the void. So I gathered some pics of various ones for ideas. Here's a couple:

Fiat-X19-with-an-Alfa-Romeo-156-D2-Inline-Four-03 - Copy.jpg

Aventador-SV-rear-_3356600b.jpg

026.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for the idea I might steal it! I'll change it a little....
You used prepreg carbon? Is that difficult to work with?

Back