Attaching front license plate bracket on '74

kareembadr

Daily Driver
Has anyone installed these front license plate brackets from Midwest Bayless?

The description says "they are fitted to the pinch weld, or fitted between grille and nose, fastened to studs behind the grille."

How is that done exactly? "Fitted to" is a little vague. Anyone able to snap a quick photo of how their bracket is attached?

Thanks!

I think he's asking how/where are they attached. It just shows them from the outside.
yeah, and he is quite right to ask! Just went out and poked around that area on my 78s. My assumption was that these brkts would use an existing bolt or screw location but I now think they need to have holes drilled and bolts added - not a good solution.

Not a answer to your question, sorry. But a couple of thoughts about mounting a front license plate on the X.

I'd suggest not mounting it in the middle in front of the grill like those linked brackets do. The X's cooling system needs every bit of airflow through the radiator without the plate obstructing things.

Also, I'd consider a more custom mount. Perhaps something easily removable for when you want to show the car with a cleaner look at the nose. This will also allow it to be mounted in a more desirable location, like off to one side and low down. Maybe something that slips into a small mount under the nose:
imageproc.jpg

My assumption was that these brkts would use an existing bolt or screw location
That's what I assumed also. I thought maybe the screw tabs that hold the grill to the body, but I was only guessing. I've customized the nose on my cars and no longer have a stock grill, and I could not remember how they mounted.

That's what I assumed also. I thought maybe the screw tabs that hold the grill to the body, but I was only guessing. I've customized the nose on my cars and no longer have a stock grill, and I could not remember how they mounted.
Those tabs match the angle of the grill and the brkts have horizontal tabs so I can't see any OEM relevant mounting points for them.

A lot easier in Europe and Australia. We can get legal "Euro" style plates as an option. These are 15 inches wide but only 4 inches deep where as a standard US plate is 12 wide by 6 deep. Still no really good solutions.

yeah, and he is quite right to ask! Just went out and poked around that area on my 78s. My assumption was that these brkts would use an existing bolt or screw location but I now think they need to have holes drilled and bolts added - not a good solution.
That’s exactly what I was afraid would be the answer. Not about take a drill to the car for a license plate…

My 74 came with a front license plate bracket that expanded in that horizontal channel that goes across the nose of the X. I think that there was a bolt that when tightened expanded the bracket in the channel. Pretty sure I've still got it but have not looked at it in almost 50 years. I removed the front plate as soon as I got the car home from the dealer.

Back