INDEX ------------------- DF ------------------- WF ------------------- EF ------------------- FSW ------------------- OTHER ------------------- Memorials ------------------- NFC

Forums IndexDiscussion ForumWorkshop Forum  Events ForumFor Sale & Wanted ForumOther Model ForumsMemorials ForumNon-Fiat Content

Go Back   Xweb Forums > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum "X1/9 and Fiat-related General": Posts may be moved to the appropriate forum. Inappropriate posts or Flames are subject to moderation or deletion.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 8 2010, 5:51 pm
Automotive Engineer

Spray on chrome

You can now do that Lido conversion that you always wanted to!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segmen...ray-on-chrome/

PV
Old Jul 8 2010, 6:47 pm
Waiting for Godot...

The web site is a little weak!

http://www.chrome-solutions.de/

I guess it must be pretty new at this point.

. .
---- 1978 ---- ---- 1985
1500 w/FI in both cars
4-speed in 78, 5spd in 85
MWB Perf Head & 35/75 Cam in both cars
MWB Lightened flywheel in 78
Vick's Header in both cars
Old Jul 8 2010, 7:10 pm
Jase

hmm... maybe I should spray this stuff on my targa, oughtta reflect some of the heat from the sun.
Old Jul 9 2010, 12:14 am
Tony Natoli

Wow, Paul... I could hardly believe my eyes...

... when he just kinda soaks the part with the second stage!

Can't wait for the "rattle-can" version!

HA!

Tony
"Black-Tooth and me since 1983"
Old Jul 9 2010, 3:23 am
Daily Driver

hmmm

i can feel a full chrome car coming on.

cheers
pete
Old Jul 9 2010, 6:17 am
Daily Driver

Whole car

Can I do my whole car in that stuff ? What an awesome process - totally surprised by the quantity of solution being sprayed on, and yet no runs !
Old Jul 9 2010, 8:11 am
Luckless Pedestrian

Cool process... curious how durable it is.
Old Jul 9 2010, 9:10 am
Eddie Flexter

Hmmm....

It looks like NICKEL/SILVER plating. Neat process getting it to stick to paint. Durability will be a problem. And eventually it will turn black, even under the clear coat. But you can always do it again!

This would be best for all that chromed plastic stuff in the interiors of 60's American cars. It's worth it for that alone!
Old Jul 9 2010, 9:12 am
Tony Natoli

Good point Jim... Initially, it would be as...

... durable as ANY clearcoat over conventional paint... but then ya got the REFLECTIVE factor of the "chrome" layer heating the clearcoat from the underside also if this was sitting in the "warm California sun..."

I wonder if they have time tested this in a lab with extreme heat and cold. I understand they can test stuff for several years in a week's time now and get an good idea... I think I saw something like this on the Discovery channel...

Tony
"Black-Tooth and me since 1983"
Old Jul 9 2010, 9:53 am
Luckless Pedestrian

In the video they made a few statements that the process was very much like how mirrors are made... if that's the case then it is a silver plating type process... probably using silver nitrate in solution. Although how they get the silver to precipitate out while being sprayed and stick well to paint is a mystery to me.

If so, I'm guessing the finished product would be very susceptible to tarnishing if exposed to the elements... even with the clear-coat.
Old Jul 9 2010, 10:18 am
True Classic

I'm curious why..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
If so, I'm guessing the finished product would be very susceptible to tarnishing if exposed to the elements... even with the clear-coat.
mirrors don't seem to have this problem then. How is the tarnishing controlled in that case?

Pete

87 X1/9, K20 engine/trans, Haltech engine management, Scirocco radiator, coil-overs, PBS brakes, 15 inch wheels & tires, 4x98 to 4x100 adapters

76 Scorpion, 2.0 engine, FI, Euro bumpers, custom headlights & taillights, custom Griffin radiator, coil-overs, PBS brakes, 15 inch wheels & tires, custom spacers with wobble nuts, DB top, 037 hood
Old Jul 9 2010, 11:42 am
Luckless Pedestrian

Unlike a mirror where the "silvering" is on the back side and then heavily overcoated... car parts would have the silvering on the side that will have the most use and exposure... should the clearcoat get chipped, scratched or worn the silver would be exposed to the environment... ...and quickly tarnish.

Mind you, this is all guess work on my part... I have no real clue as to what their process is.

...and if you were just using this process to restore interior parts on your trailer queen, then the durability question would be moot.
Old Jul 9 2010, 12:07 pm
Groovy

my understanding

And I may be wrong, but I believe the concerns about the wear or longevity of this spray on chrome is a good concern and one that the guy in the video had. This is not the first time I have seen this stuff or the guy Jay had on the video. This is not his product invention, but he "made it better". My understanding was that he did not like the undercoat and the clear coat and modified the mixture or materials sprayed to make it adhere better to the paint undercoat and be protected better by the overcoat. The overcoat will still wear and supposedly you can just sand it down and do it again, where as with chrome, if it gets scratched or pitted again, you have to spend loads of money to have it re-chromed again. This process looks just as good, I think it would be easier to care for than real chrome, and inexpensive to apply over and over again compared to chroming. I also like the fact that you can tint the clear coat to give your "chrome" some zing.
Old Jul 9 2010, 1:15 pm
el moco

car chromed

Remember I saw this kind of hole chrome cars a couple years ago

should be same process I think

Ricardo
X19/79
www.trazia.com/x19
Old Jul 9 2010, 3:35 pm
Daily Driver

Who will be the 1st here with a chrome X? Someone should do a photoshop!
Old Jul 9 2010, 3:51 pm
Jase

I imagine any imperfections would be super apparent.
Old Jul 9 2010, 4:02 pm
Groovy

I seem to remember

an episode of Top Gear where they made Geoff, the home made electric car (with the diesle generator to charge the batteries) and the hood was so bright they all got blinded by the reflection as they test drove it the first time........... A chrome car would be blinding I think...
Old Jul 10 2010, 12:59 pm
Herzel Frenkel

It seems interesting

any idea where can I get hold of such a system ?
Old Jul 10 2010, 1:56 pm
True Classic

One of the comments has the following...

"try emailing him at DirkBuck1*aol.com he might be slow to respond".
Old Jul 10 2010, 8:40 pm
True Classic

My spray on Chromed parts...

This is exactly the same process that I paid to have done by a local Chroming shop called "Chrome Craft" and they explained the process to me which sounded exactly the same as the one in Jay Leno's video. As you can see in the photos they did my plastic parts (timing belt cover, coolant overflow bottle and did parts that would be exposed to high heat (cam box cover) and I've driven on 400miles since I installed the parts and everything still looks exactly the same with no change in the final chrome appearance at all. Now I had no idea that you could do this process yourself at home or I would have looked into that as an option as I paid $400.00 for all the parts seen in the photo to be done.

'PeteX1/9

P.S The final photo is of a dump truck that I drove beside this past spring on a local highway that had been Chromed and looked amazing.

Closed Thread

INDEX ------------- DF ------------- WF ------------- EF ------------- FSW ------------- Other ------------- Memorials ------------- NFC

Forums IndexDiscussion ForumWorkshop Forum Events ForumFor Sale & Wanted ForumOther Model ForumsMemorials ForumNon-Fiat Content