CROMODORA DAYTONA vs CAMPAGNOLO BERTONE DESIGN

I made this comparation between my current set of
CROMODORA DAYTONAS CD87 6.5x13” 4x98mm and my new set of CAMPAGNOLO BERTONE DESIGN, two 6x13” 4x98mm and two 6.5x14” 4x98mm.

CROMODORA DAYTONAS front and rear tires SUMITOMO HTR200 175-50-13 and 185-60-13
wheelsa.jpg

CAMPAGNOLO BERTONE DESIGN front SUMITOMO HTR200 175-50-13 and rear FEDERAL 185-55-14
wheelsc.jpg

When I got the campys they had
Tires front yokohama AVS 185-60-13-80V
Tires rear yokohama AVS 195-60-14-86V
wheelsb.jpg

But I didn't really like how it looked. Before to replace the tires I compare wheels and tires and got measures.

CROMODORA sumitomo HTR200 175-50-13 vs CAMPAGNOLO yokohama AVS 185-60-13-80V
compa13.jpg

CROMODORA sumitomo HTR200 185-60-13 vs CAMPAGNOLO yokohama AVS 195-60-14-86V
compa14.jpg

For this new set I used a SUMITOMO HTR 200 175-50-13 front and FEDERAL 185-55-14 rear
campyset.jpg

and compare:

CROMODORA 6.5 x 13 vs CAMPAGNOLO 6 x 13
compb13.jpg

CROMODORA 6.5 x 13 vs CAMPAGNOLO 6.5 x 14
compb14.jpg

left-CROMODORA 6.5 x 13 vs right-CAMPAGNOLO 6 x 13
compc13.jpg

left-CROMODORA 6.5 x 13 vs right-CAMPAGNOLO 6.5 x 14
compc14.jpg

I really like it!
sidey.jpg

side2eb.jpg

side3u.jpg

sidea13.jpg

sidea14.jpg

(But personally… I still love my CROMODORA DAYTONAS)

THANKS FOR WATCHING.

Not a fair comparison. Your car is so nice it makes any wheel look nice, as long as it is period correct and Italian.

Both look nice but the Campys are the clear choice. You should just pack up the Daytonas and ship them to me to get them out of your way. My check for $200 is in the mail.

///Mike
(who does prefer the Daytonas on your car, but still likes the Campys a lot the way you present them)

Hi Ricardo,

I seem to remember reading probably on XWeb that while the Daytonas have a timeless classic look standing still, they have an even more fascinating and appealing look at speed.

I think an interesting study would be to (somehow) take a video of and compare the two wheel styles at speed.

Wheels make the car

Wheels sure make a difference. I notice that you painted the rockers black. How about a little photo shop and show us side by side with and without the black rockers?
I also would like to pull the side markers to clean up the side. I think the lines are cluttered with the side markers, air vent, and side vent. The car is so small that this stuff interupts the basic lines. If I ever need to do more paintwork I am going to fill in the side markers and recess lights in the bumper.

Thanks for posting.
Bob

Nice shoes!!!

Can't go wrong either way...Now for yur next project get some CD30s to show off yur calipers & rotors. :D

Suggestions

Hi Ricardo,

both wheels are beautiful! I love both of them, probably the Campys a little more.

I agree that black rockers are not a good idea on the X1/9. They make the car look tall, not low.
Also, when taking a pic of the X1/9 from the side, it is important to move far away and use a zoom lens. If you are fairly close, the car pic will have a slight fish-eye effect. Everything in the middle of the car is really too big, and the front and rear of the car are too small.
Your pics are a little like that. For that reason, the car in the pics doesn't look like it does in real life and it is hard to say which wheels look better (at least for me).

Example of extreme fish-eye:

Example of camera far away:

Another thought: 175/50 is such a small tire, that it is hard to get it to look right on an X. A car needs to be VERY low for this small tire to look right (to me - others may have different preferences).
But if you use that size tire, I would love to see it combined with a 195/45-14 rear tire. This would essentially be the same sidewall height and may be a good match. But for this tire also, the car needs to be very low...

Daytonas at speed!!

Hi Ricardo,

I seem to remember reading probably on XWeb that while the Daytonas have a timeless classic look standing still, they have an even more fascinating and appealing look at speed.

I think an interesting study would be to (somehow) take a video of and compare the two wheel styles at speed.

OK.. its not a video, but I bet I was doing at least 65mph when TomD took this pic.
pic28.jpg

And I have that d*mn black rocker problem too. :)

Keep the Daytonas on your X

I made this comparation between my current set of
CROMODORA DAYTONAS CD87 6.5x13” 4x98mm and my new set of CAMPAGNOLO BERTONE DESIGN, two 6x13” 4x98mm and two 6.5x14” 4x98mm.

:bla: ;)

(But personally… I still love my CROMODORA DAYTONAS)

THANKS FOR WATCHING.

Hi Ricardo,

I am not a big fan of those Campys. You put out a lot of effort to do this comparison, but I think your final statement in parenthesis tells you all you need to know.

Stick with the Daytonas. They look great on any X. :clap:

Love the Daytona's but those Campy's look pretty fine as well as you really do not see them that much.

I think the Campis look very exotic. Almost look like they came off of a Dino. I vote Campi for car shows and Daytonas for drivers.. And you keep both sets... Thats what you wanted to hear any way right??:grin:

here is the photoshop pic

Wheels sure make a difference. I notice that you painted the rockers black. How about a little photo shop and show us side by side with and without the black rockers?
I also would like to pull the side markers to clean up the side. I think the lines are cluttered with the side markers, air vent, and side vent. The car is so small that this stuff interupts the basic lines. If I ever need to do more paintwork I am going to fill in the side markers and recess lights in the bumper.

Thanks for posting.
Bob

Hi Bob

Since ever I use the black rockers, it's just a different tastes. Before to paint it 10 years ago I made a test just covered with black plastic and see around on many angles and finally I decided to paint on black, On my own opinion it makes match with all black trims and I very happy how it looks, I never tought if it looks tall or low.

original
wheelsc.jpg

this is the Ulix car with side rockers on yellow ( i forgot to make one pic with just the rockers painted on yellow when I worked on the picture Ulix car is almost same like mine and good for this sample)
ulixx.jpg

and here is all covered side lights and scoop
x19test.jpg

Nice Job

How about yellow on the sail panel vent also? I have seen cars with the side engine vent painted and did not like it. The paint looked cheap. Maybe it jsut was a poor paint job. I should get a spare vent and try painting it. I think the original side lights ( Ulix car) look better on the yellow car, as they do not clash as much with lines of the car. Almost as good as no lights. Ulix's car looks to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower also.
Anyway it looks like you have two very nice sets of wheels. Congrats!
IMG_1142.jpg

Bob

ps, lets stagger our timing when we sell our old wheels so as to not flood the market.

ENOUGH! There is ONLY one wheel that works...

... and that's a set of Compomotives... 1370 and 1390s front and rear... respectively. Might as well run some Hoosier Slicks all around while yur at it too!

Install a Dallara Kit first though...

We'll be wanting to see progress fotos also Ricardo...

TGA1390_l.jpg

daytonas

got to be the daytonas,clean lines timeless style, just like the rest of your wonderful car!

only my opinion.

cheers
pete

I like the Daytonas best, but I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you prefer the Campy's :grin:

I also prefer the black rockers - I just did mine recently. I think it makes the car look more slender.

Back