Fuel vapor separator

tfphoenix

King Phoenix
fiat-fuel-vapor-separator.jpg

What does it do exatcly. Is is different from a vent valve? And why are there 2? Thanks!

F/V separators

What does it do exatcly. Is is different from a vent valve? And why are there 2? Thanks!

yes, they are different from the vent valve. The tank vent lines can carry a mixture of liquid fuel and vapor, they separate the liquid from the vapor, and then the the vapor is carried to the vent valve. The vent valve does three things:
1) Lets air flow backwards through the separators to the tank so it never develops negative pressure.
2) Routes the fuel vapors to the charcoal canister.
3) Vents the fuel pressure straight to the air if it ever gets high enough to be dangerous.

No idea why there are two...

I see.

Well that kills my idea of using a vent valve from a Mercedes. My vapor separator is yellowish, and ugly so I wanted to replace it. But oh well. Thanks for the info!

Heh well I tried to paint it. I used black rubberized undercoating cause I just wanted it to blend in but after it dried a few days I found it didn't adhere. Now it's uglier than before. I might order another used, yellow one lol.

Prettier ones

On earlier cars they are metal, not plastic and clean up pretty well.

Both Krylon and Valspar have recently come out with paint product lines that are specifically designed to adhere nicely to some plastics.

Why not pick up a can at a local store and try it out? There are a million different kinds of "plastic" out there so ya never know till ya try.

If it doesn't stick (as I found out when I tried to brighten up my yellow cam belt covers), just bring it back with receipt and get a refund.

Back