1970 Abarth Scorpione 1300 sold

Greg (in Conn)

Bertone curator - X driver
close to me in NY. Was asking $5000 on CL but jumped up to $8000 when got hammered with calls... sold it 2 days later.

Finding parts must be impossible. Anyone ever drive one ?

Found this write up on the web...

Abarth's cute 1300 Scorpion
The Scorpion is a well-designed little unit which seems to run extremely well. But at 8 mpg we think you'd want a little more push than this, and your own petrol tanker.

A few months ago Carlo Abarth enlarged his already wide range of sports cars and GTs with a new model, the 1300 Scorpion. Why he attractive vehicle will be clear if you drive it. The smart body is a creation of Francis Lombardi, a young Italian car couturier. The Scorpion attire was his crucial test, which he stood gloriously . . . or not?

There are available two mechanical versions, the 1300 Scorpion and the 1300 Scorpion S. Both have the same engine, the 1300 cc unit which gives 75 bhp at 6000 rpm, and is based on the Fiat 124. The original 1197 cc unit was increased to 1280.41 cc by boring the cylinders from 73 mm to 75.5 mm. The stroke, unchanged, remained at 71.5mm, while the compression ratio was upped to 10.5: 1.

The remaining engine features were also unchanged. It still has overhead valves with a sidemounted, chain-driven camshaft, aluminium cylinder head, five bearing crankshaft, and a horizontal twin-choke carburettor, model Solex C 32/PHH 6. Bearing in mind that the 124s twincam engine is based on the 124 pushrod unit, these relatively mild modifications don't encroach much on the large reserves of mechanical strength. By using a special bell housing, the engine is coupled to a Fiat 850 gearbox, with the following ratios: 1. 3.636: 1 -2. 2.055: 1 -3. 1.409: l -4. 0.963: 1 Rev. 3.615: l; with the rear axle ratio of 3.88 to an one.

The body is fully integral with independently sprung wheels on the four corners. The 'S'-version has Abarth suspension with coil springs and wishbones and standard mounted stabilisers. The other version has the original 850 suspension with a semi-elliptic front spring and rear suspension by wishbones and coil springs again. Another difference between the 'S'and the normal version are the brakes: the former has Girling disc brakes on all four wheels while the normal version is fitted with Fiat-Bendix disc brakes at front and drum brakes on the rear wheels.

It is hard to discover the engine location at first sight: the Scorpion could be mid-or even front-engined. In fact, the engine/gearbox is mounted in the rear. The car is incredibly low, but it has more inner space for its size than any other car. Getting inside is rather problematical, but once you're there you'll acclimatise quite soon. Not so astonishing, because Francis Lombardi has done everything to make the interior as comfortable as possible. The seats are a little thin-cushioned, but you won't even notice this, because driving a Scorpion is fascination!

Another first is the instrument panel. Fiat rocker switches work the various electrical stuff like lights, wipers, etc. The usual batch of gauges and meters is mounted.

The clear body lines makes the Scorpion a smart little vehicle. Particularly interesting is the sharp-edged nose with the small air-inlet without grille. Rather dull are the headlights which when switched on, rise above the hood, making the car look like a space-freak. The beltline is slightly bent. With the larger windscreen and the backlight, this makes a very attractive greenhouse in spite of the rather large blind quarter. The back panel is depressed, containing the number plate and combined rear and brake lights. Bumpers are not mounted. Air intakes are in the rear decklid and in the side panels just behind the windows.

Driving a Scorpion is unforgettable. The neat unit little engine makes a crisp thrum at high revs, though it's not unduly raucous. The engine is hinged at five points, almost totally isolating the vibration. The acceleration is quite vivid despite the modest horsenower: To 63 mDh within 12 sec. Not bad for such-a vehicle. The iop speed is also unique: 112 mph.

This equals the performances of some legendary sportscars, or even improves on them. The average fuel consumption was about eight mpg.

The Abarth Scorpion handles very well. The engine pulls strongly from low to top revs without using the gearbox. The steering is quick, but not as precise as a good rack-and-pinion linkage.

The roadholding is excellent within certain limits for the normal version. The 'S'type, however, doesn't give any troubles at any-speed or road conditions and the car remains pancake flat. . Though the Scorpion is a rear-engined car, the side-wind twitchiness is reduced to a minimum. The brakes, though very hard to handle, are excellent.

That's about all there is to tell about the Abarth 1300 Scorpion and Scorpion 'S': both are excellent vehicles with outstanding capacities. If you still don't understand why the car was named 'Scorpion', just drive it ...

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg

a4.jpg
a6.jpg
a23.jpg

a12.jpg

See if you can network with the seller to find out who the new owners is.. I would love to buy that off of him....:eyepop:

You got it

Just sent him a message. Ever seen one before? Not much on YouTube...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzntqhLINHo"]YouTube- Fiat Abarth 1300 Scorpione[/ame]

just one...

on France and Italy show 08, but i'm not sure if this is badged and prepared for abarth or has a different name of 1300 abarth as you said.
(on the carter shows ABARTH)

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79
www.trazia.com/x19

Last edited:
That green one is just a rebodied 850... I remember talking to the owner for about an hour...

Its too bad Ricardo didnt get any photos of the back of my shirt that day.. It said "Official Fright Pig Inspector" on it...LOl....Im the one with the blue hat and Horns....

Easily my favorite car at the 08 BFI, Its an OTAS Torino. 72 were made according to the owner, as Jjay said they are based on the 850.
l_8aa04cd2582145aeb3c796b677d28439.jpg

l_8acd427ebe86491ba073d9c443f176ed.jpg

l_174b21bf14614f01a70a52232adbc68d.jpg

l_f8c56991c49541108124f8c2cbea947d.jpg

O.T.A.S, Had one, would not buy another

That is an OTAS, or Officina Transformazione Automobili Sportive by Lombardi. Just another Italian coadchbuilder that re-bodied the 850. As a 8 time 850 owner I too had one. It was silver, I drove it few times and parked. Drove like an 850 but with poor visibility. the Scorpione version was a souped up car that still did not get it done like an stock X19. That version of the 124 motor was a step back in technology and just added weight. As in all of the coachbuilder cars, very rust prone as they were not built to last. Here is a link to more info.
http://home.planet.nl/~fredr079/otas/ot0001en.html

Bob

I almost bought one in 1989

I had a chance to buy a red OTAS in pieces with the motor rebuilt from a Fiat salvage yard in Berkeley CA. If I remember right the guy wanted about $3,000 dollars. Instead I bought my first X1/9, a '74, which I sold a few years later. Wish I still had the '74 but as they say,hindsight is 20/20.:mallet::wall:
Rolf

I was busy buying another mid-engined car and missed this completely

Abarth 1970 Scorpione 1300

Abarth 1970 Scorpione 1300 - $5000 (Up state Ny (Warwick)). Date: 2009-12-14, 12:19PM EST Reply to: sale-8wehn-1509577537*craigslist.org ...
newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/1509577537.html

A couple of these have been on ebay in the past few years but this one looks better overall. I probably still have the original road test article in one of four French car magazines some one gave me when I was a kid back in 1970.

I ended up buying a 1977 Matra-Simca Bagheera (mid-engine 4 cylinder with twin weber 44dcnf carbs) that needs some TLC.

An OTAS & an Abarth Scorpione are not the same car. They may look the same, and they were both built by Lombardi on the 850 chassis at about the same time, but no body panels will interchange.

The OTAS in it's many variations is a Fiat 850. Depending upon the importer there are even more variations, out here on the West Coast Rich motors brought them in and once you know the cars a Rich Motors car is easy to spot. Most overheated on the way home when new.

The Abarth does use a motor that is based upon the 124 Berlina, but Abarth did a few things. It's basically a rebodied 1300/124. The basic version, which is more than likely what was being offered, ran 850 suspension. The SS version was the only 850 chassis that Abarth put the fully independent suspension as used in the very last Berlina Corsas under. An extremely impressive car. I think only three (please correct me) made it to North America.

I agree about the rust, the one I had was so bad I sold it quick.

See if you can network with the seller to find out who the new owners is.. I would love to buy that off of him....:eyepop:

JJ,
Spoke with the guy on the phone today, he asked me to forward you his contact info.

jveviking*comcast.net
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 1:52:46 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: QUSTIONS ABOUT 1970 ABARTH 1300 SCORPIONE PRODUCTION ?

#AOLMsgPart_3_d936087d-6498-441c-821e-f0d5388cfee2 td{color: black;} #AOLMsgPart_3_d936087d-6498-441c-821e-f0d5388cfee2 p { margin: 0; }
HI AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS,

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1970 ABARTH 1300 SCORPIONE AS A BARN FIND FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNERS AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD PERHAPS HELP ME FIND OUT SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CAR. THE SELLER SAID THAT THERE WERE ONLY 12 EXPORTED TO THE UNITED STATES.

I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME HELP HERE IN TERMS OF VALUE FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES AND PARTS INTERCHANGE INFORMATION. WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO HELP ME?

THE CAR IS IN VERY GOOD UN-RESTORED CONDITION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A REPAINT BACK IN THE MID 80'S AND SOME MINOR [ VERY MINOR RUST BUBBLING ON THE FRONT COWLING].

TIPO# : 104 N
TELAIO # : 1341743 181
MOTORE # : 0655852 204

UNDER THE HOOD: S 53

SINCERELY,

JON ERIKSSON
17 ROCKY POINT DRIVE
BOW, NH 03304
TEL. #: 603-226-0107

HAHAHA... This gentleman...

... really could use some "enlightening" when it comes to automotive history and spelling... HA!

But for some reason, I think it would all fall upon deaf ears...

Back