24 Hours of LeMons, Day Two

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
We finished about 17th overall, second place in class L2 behind "Hurling Moss, BMW 2002" (car# 71). The LeMons folks have figured out the X is not slow and tends to survive to the end of LeMons races.

We were still dealing with chattering under breaking until mid-afternoon when we HAD to change the brake pads. The hope was those pads would last until the end of this race, but they did not.This cause a 18 minute pits stop to change both set of front pads, check the engine (which was down on power, likely due to a broke header tube and failing piston), change drivers, re-fuel and get the car back out on the track. We knew this would be the last race on this engine due to the amount of track time on it. It's survival is also a tribute to the toughness designed into this engine by Aurelio Lampredi and others who worked with him at FIAT on this engine.

This engine started out with about 80,000 miles on the clock.. then taken apart to make sure all was well, then put back together pretty much stock, did about 10 track days of testing, the first LeMons race where it over heated and loss a head gasket which was replaced and finished the race, then got motorcycle carbs which upped the power, some more track day testing, then completed a LeMons race at Button Willow (top twenty again), and finally finished this LeMons race.. If there is any doubut of the durability, reliability and toughness of this engine, our LeMons racing endeavor is proof of just how capable this little engine really is and why FIAT kept this design in production with all it's variation for so long..

All the fellow LeMons racers who have been around this X1/9 I spoke with has been totally impressed and surprised with the performance of this x1/9.

Might we have done better if the transponder did not cause problems early on, no problems with brakes or etc??? In many ways, it does not matter..we all had great fun doing this. The drivers did a SUPERB job out there on track staying out of trouble. The new paint even saved us once when we got black flagged for making contact, but when we appeared at the penalty area not a scratch was found. The judges comments were, "unless you fixed the body work between the track exit and here, there is no contact, back on the track."

We came out of this LeMons race without a scratch on the new paint.. that says much indeed about our drivers..

Just how fast is this X at LeMons?

Here is a real time shot of the timing board mid-Sunday afternoon:
resultsafterdayone.jpg

We were running 14th overall, best lap time of 2:25:xx (car number 68). EyeSore Racing's (some of my favorite LeMons racing folks) turbo Miata which won second place overall and a Porsche 928 that was prepped by a pro-race shop with one of the best Pro Porsche drivers did a a 2:19:xx.. While the Miata went on to take second place overall, the Porsche 928's engine seized on day two. Or, we are about 6 seconds slower than some of the fastest cars at LeMons..

Here the car list from 2009 ThunderHill. It's really the "People's Curse" ballot.
pcurseballot.jpg

We are planning to return to another LeMons race at Sears Point Race way in March.. with much work to do before then.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of the race, we drove the X back on the trailer:
img4563.jpg

These two "really got into it" and ended up with the V8 volvo on it's roof. This is the other car run by "Evil Genius" racing who also ran the Porsche 928.. they won at Button willow, but both their cars failed to finish this LeMons.
img4561g.jpg

img4552c.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviZvh-xZMY"]YouTube- V8olvo Rolls at 24 Hours of LeMons Arse-Freeze-a-Palooza[/ame]

Steven, one of our "radio jockeys" and great helping hands:
img4547y.jpg

Our X on track, heading into turn?
img4535z.jpg

TR7, post contact with the V8 volvo, they managed to get it back on track until something else died. This is a Buick V6 powered TR7 that had serious rear brake lock-up problems. Not the penalty on the fender "Amazing! we hav ethe worst car and the worst drivers." one hundred times written on the car as a penality..
img4529.jpg

Failed weld on the roll cage of that MGB... folks, don't fool aroung with safety in race cars.. your driver's life depends on what is put in the car and should be held to the highest standard.
img4486n.jpg

Front brake pads from a FORD mustang.. worn down past the backing, into the piston, fried the brake caliper too:
img4526j.jpg

The cause of our 18 minute pit stop, front brake pads down to the backing:
img4523.jpg

Chris & me, changing front brake pads, other members of our crew did the other side:
img4517n.jpg

Diane and me trying to figure out how to keep the X engine alive for the remainder of this LeMons:
img4511e.jpg

Across the way, the Porsche 928 with a sized engine. Two of their drivers where Mark Anderson, Mark Kibort. Two of the most experienced pro 928 drivers out there.
img4503.jpg

The "Bird" went Off Roading:
img4492r.jpg

Another "Off Roading" BMW, this one had a M3 engine stuffed into it.. fast, yes, but that is not the only thing that matters:
img4482v.jpg

This Porsche 944 was born as a race car, these folks believed the car would take them to a win.. The nudged Pel (one of our drivers off the track) then suffered a broken front suspension part which caused them to crash.. Karma? Here they got a penalty for passing under a yellow flag... "Hot Rod Porsche Drives Should Not Pass Under Yellow"..
img4461d.jpg

The difficult way to build a mid-engine car, Angry Hamster. While their team of real engineers and great fab shop proved nice, I believe they under estimated what really happens at a LeMons race. The shop brewed motorcycle to RX7 rear axle failed. Then the started bolts came un-done, over heated and that was it:
img4455c.jpg

Hurling Moss, BMW z00z, Class L2 winner, the car we were chasing. The car was well driven, stayed out of trouble and it did not break:
img4445.jpg

Our X at the starting line up day two:
img4439d.jpg

How our morning on day two started:
img4417.jpg

This X has altered the perception of what this car is capable of for those who follow LeMons...

LeMons racing has also proven to be a good indicator of what stock street cars have what it takes to be a endurance racer and which cars sell on marketing, advertising and other things far from the reality of what has been designed and put into them..

Bernice

Congrats to the whole team Bernice

Another great showing. 17th overall is pretty impressive IMHO.

Thanks for the update and all the pics! :)

17th overall out of 158 cars entered.. some team were serious Pro-teams, Like "Evil Genius" racing totally focused on winning anyway possible and others were garage brew totally focused on having FUN..

LeMons racing has room for both.. which makes it special in the world of motorsports.

Also keep in mind, this X is running an engine with 1500cc against similar performing cars with much larger engine displacement. This X is capable of "pulling" more than a few V8 powered Detroit cars on track...

Another great showing. 17th overall is pretty impressive IMHO.

Thanks for the update and all the pics! :)

I had a great time crewing for this event...

so much so, I'm thinking seriously about preparing an Italian car and driving it next year. The 2010 LeMons schedule can be found here:

http://24hoursoflemons.com/events/

I'd like to run the following events:

Infineon Raceway at Sonoma, CA -- March 6-7
Reno-Fernley Raceway at Fernley, NV -- May 8-9
Thunderhill Raceway Park at Willows, CA -- August 7-8
Buttonwillow Raceway at Buttonwillow, CA -- December 4-5

The operators of Reno-Fernley recently lost their lease, so that race is in limbo. Hopefully, another operator will negotiate a lease.

You're all welcome to join us.

Regards,

I enjoyed reading your daily race reports and photos the last two days.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post.
Unbelievable it's almost stock, and survived...what kind of rpm's was the engine doing most of the time?
Makes me a little more proud owing one of these little Fiats.

Take apart this X and one would find the vast majority of parts are stock parts that built this car in the early 80's..

Since this X was turned into a race car, the engine typically does not run under 4,000 RPM... typically the engine is run between 5,000 to 8,500 RPM (except for one of our drivers who likes to "bounce" the tach needle once pegged on the 8,000 RPM stop) hour after hour. Few as delivered production car engines designed in the mid-60's can endure this treatment hour after hour and not grenade.

Every X owner should be proud of what they own and value what this car offers more than what the media wants them to believe..

I enjoyed reading your daily race reports and photos the last two days.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post.
Unbelievable it's almost stock, and survived...what kind of rpm's was the engine doing most of the time?
Makes me a little more proud owing one of these little Fiats.

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE! CONGRATULATIONS!

And indeed you make us all proud...

#68 LOOKS as good as it GOES this year also!

Last edited:
Great stuff

My hot rod neighbours at my shop got back from LeMons about 1am this morning while I was burning the midnight oil switching wiring looms between my 87's.
They ran a 300Z, (huge wing and bunnys humping on the roof) he was absolutely stunned :eyepop: at the speed and resilience of the X. He just kept saying "It ran the whole time and never broke..." like he had just learned the world was round.
Well done!!!

HAHAHA... Glen...

I guess there will be no more "living wih you" around that shop for those guys!

Do give us a GLIMPSE of what you are up to with those cars every now and then...

Takes time to develop

Is the 3rd race for this car - going on 2 years now.

Me, Bernice and the team have spent unreasonable number of hours, weekends, holidays, testing and developing this thing.

There were other teams there who made tons of mods, but had never even as much as done a test-run of their rigs prior to entering the race. Those guys generally didn't do well.

It's easy to underestimate (even myself) what goes into making a car run like this. Bernice has been a great asset/"spirit-guide" in this respect. We fight a lot, but in the end, the finished product ticks all the right boxes and just plain works.

Datsun/Nissan 'Z' cars have not done well at LeMons.. Every 'Z' car I looked at during this LeMons has over heated & popped a head gasket, spit con rods, vaporized the clutch or etc..

At button willow, a pro-race team & shop appeared at LeMons complete with a 6 figure race center and two 'Z' cars. They were running as high as 8th until the thermostat stuck causing the cylinder head to crack. Their other car, spit con rod.. The team tried to make one running car from two broken cars.. similar thing happened at this LeMons when two brother running two 280ZX, one spit a con rod, the other loss a head gasket, they also tried to take two broken cars to make one running car..

There is an article about Datsun/Nissan 'Z' cars at LeMons on Jalopnik:
http://jalopnik.com/5302378/why-dont-datsun-zs-dominate-the-24-hours-of-lemons

I suspect, the 'Z' car is one of those cars where marketing, public image and good enough performance on the street has convinced their owners and fans these are great race worthy cars (second to Triumph, Datsun/Nissan followed British Leyland's lead of promotion via racing and winning in SCCA)...until stock cars are put into endurance race duty where all their hidden failings and cost saving for production appear as failures..

My hot rod neighbours at my shop got back from LeMons about 1am this morning while I was burning the midnight oil switching wiring looms between my 87's.
They ran a 300Z, (huge wing and bunnys humping on the roof) he was absolutely stunned :eyepop: at the speed and resilience of the X. He just kept saying "It ran the whole time and never broke..." like he had just learned the world was round.
Well done!!!

Back