Philippine X1/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

deocon1

True Classic
Hi everybody!

I am a 48 year old retiree from the Philippines.

I have a 19 year old son who is a special child. He wants to learn how to drive so I showed him a 76 X1/9.

He fell in love with the X1/9 the first time he saw it. So I bought it for him.
PICT0411.jpg

I show him a photo of a Dellara racer in the net and he wants his car to be like it.

We towed the car on December 22, 08. Put it in the corner of the garage until January 5, 09.

The first step of transformation is to fabricate the aerofoil(spoiler). Everything will be done in metal sheet because we do not have access to Dellara kits here in the Philippines. I chose metal over fiberglass because of the bad roads (pot holes) here.

The spoiler being measured.
PICT0410.jpg

And being mounted to the rear bonnet.
PICT0416.jpg

PICT0422.jpg

PICT0415.jpg

Welcome to Xweb deocon1 !!

Glad to have you with us. Nice job on the spoiler and keep posting pics as you move along on the project. We love pictures here at Xweb. :)

Yes welcome!

It always makes me smile when we meet someone new here from a place we haven't heard from very much before... Pretty cool to know there's at least one live X in the Phillipines too! I have to say, a racer might balk at the weight of metal, but, that is a very impressive looking Dallara replica spoiler especially for being home made.. good work, and welcome to Xweb! :cool:

What make is that pale blue car

beyond the X in that first picture? Looks like a big flare over the front wheel, but I can't tell what kind of car it is. :)

Mabuhay Pare!

Which island do you live? My family originates from Luzon - Agoo, La Union specifically. Nice to find you here! I would not have ever expected to see an X1/9 in the Philippines, but this is so cool!

Thanks everybody for the welcome!

Mac,
There could be just about 10 X1/9 left int entire Philippines. This one was brought here by an Airman from former American Air base called Clark. The main air foil has been made from #26 sheets which makes it really light. Albeit the base is from 1/2" pipe and #16 sheet for strength.

Jim,
Mac is right, it is a 72 AMX. One of Musclecars.

Socal,
Nice to hear a person with Filipino blood in the forum. Seems like family here. I am from the island of Luzon. Bocaue Bulacan to exact. Just 27 km north of Manila, while Agoo is about 240 Km north of Manila.

due to some other thingsn the X was set aside until the Feb 2.

The first thing done was to lay out the spoiler in 1/2" pipe.
PICT0461.jpg

Then the outline of the flares in 1/4" round bar.
PICT0462.jpg

Then the out line was mocked-up in packing tapes.
PICT0467.jpg

PICT0466.jpg

WOW

So you are next going to fabricate custom body panels?? That is going to be a very cool car when you finish... and one of a kind, even here - Glad you joined to share your X story with us! :cool: You might want to discuss some of your modifications in the 'workshop' forum section as you go, I am sure the wrenchers would love to watch you work and help out if you ever need input etc :)

Hi MAC,

Yes all will be in sheet metal. Though my procedure is antiquated in this world of automation and CNC machines.

Frame of the spoiler and fender flares when was completed first week of Feb.
PICT0471.jpg

Two grilles mocked-up.
PICT0472.jpg

Front valence sawed-off.
PICT0477.jpg

Thats called "Craftmanship at its best" gentlemans!!!!

Please keep us posted on every step of this creation.Also don`t forget to post pics of your special son with the car.I do have a special nephew myself.........thanks for sharing,.......

Karfrik,

Thanks for reminding me to post the photo of my son Carlo. He was born on May 22, 1990. That makes him 19 years old come May. I love my son very much.

He is posing besides my 72 Corvette. He only rides with me. he hopes to drive it someday.

While mocking-up the spoiler and the valence, I run into a problem. The highlighted portion of the photo is very difficult to shape in metal.
PICT0477-1.jpg

So, i thought of mocking up the portion with cardboard. I tried eliminating the corner with an air scoop.
PICT0481.jpg

Another view
PICT0482.jpg

From the corner.
PICT0479.jpg

Once satisfied with the look of the spoiler and valence, I moved to the fender.
PICT0476.jpg

I tried to do some innovation. I mocked-up the fender with air vent. This will release the air pressure build up inside the fender. And it looks good.
PICT0486.jpg

Another view,
PICT0485.jpg

PICT0484.jpg

Moved to WF

I went ahead and moved this thread to the workshop section, I'm feeling like I'm in body shop class here :D

This is a fascinating and impressive handcrafted project, so how far along is it right now?

Man this is going be great....

How did you do it with the wheels. (spacer) :eyepop:
If i look to this picture, did you have created this self?

2522009161718.png

keep them coming those pictures... :)

Move it back Mac... too much "personal stuff" here to be in the tech forum...

HA!

On a serious note... I believe this post illustrates MY point perfectly that we are all about the PEOPLE and the CAR and why is it that they need to be put in separate categories?

You have ENOUGH to do than to be bothered with this...

I think the Tech section would be a great place to put the BEST OF technical stuff... eliminate the AAU and let the chips fall in the Discussion forum. Talk about Luddite-ism!!!

Later, my friend!

Welcome Deocon... any kin of Rudy's is a friend of mine...

It is quite obvious ya have lots of time on your hands with retirement and all... and I congratulate you.

I do hope your son has his hands into this project as well... as it would be a great skill to pass on. He'd also reap some personal satisfaction, and know how much work it takes to achieve what it is you're trying to do.

It'll also teach him to drive with caution after he smashes it up the FIRST TIME... and he will. I'd humbly suggest you give him the Merc to train with before sacrificing the X1/9! HA!

Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses... and remember... If yur gonna make it look this aggressive... ya better have the "stuff" under the hood to back it up!

Welcome to the addiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back