FS: Amco NOS Tonneau Covers

bg82x

Bob Grasch
I have been trying to collect all of the Amco X1/9 accessories for years. Until recently I have personally never seen any of the Tonneau covers for sale anywhere. I recently have come across several brand new in the box unopened Amco X1/9 Tonneau covers. Since I do not need them all I have 7 available for sale. They seem to be very durable and well made. Asking $175 each plus shipping to Xweb members before listing them on EBay. You would receive one that has never been opened. Any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!

AMCO_stuff_99hi012_zpsffe8bca7.jpg

PB170001_zpsb144311d.jpg

PB170002_zps5bcc445a.jpg

PB170003_zps5419217e.jpg

PB170004_zps7cc52268.jpg

May have spoken too soon...

Did I notice that drilling is required to install a bunch of grommets? If so, I may want to rethink my decision. Can you provide some additional details on installation?

Tonneau cover

Bob, how does the cover attach to the car? Is it necessary to install snaps on the targa bar and the windshield? Thanks, Rick

Yes, drilling is required....

The instructions call to drill a #32 (.116) hole then the snap studs screw in. They mount to the windshield frame and the targa bar. I have not decided if I would actually drill and mount the snaps on my car or not. Or if this product will end up on the shelves with the rest of my X1/9 memorabilia collection. When it comes to these rare items I have a hard time saying no.

If it was a little cheaper (my X1/9 hobby has a more elaborate budget than I do), I might consider getting one merely to have on display when I show the car.

I'd never add the snaps to my car. It would seriously affect the drag coefficient of the car. :eyepop:

Larry
'79 X1/9

Open to offers as well

I'm always open to offers. Send me an offer if you are interested.

Windshield snaps for Tonneau Cover

The '83X I bought locally and have been restoring came with one of these tonneau covers. Until now, I didn't realize it was a commercially available option - I thought it was a PO added "one-off". Frankly, I had completely forgotten about the Amco line of accessories. I had one for the very first 1974 X1/9's imported to the US (I was told it was the 3rd one) and drove it for 12 years before it rusted out. Over those years, I added several Amco accessories but don't remember ever seeing the tonneau.

In any event, here's my take on it: The grommet snaps on the roll bar are fairly unobtrusive but the ones on the front of the windshield frame are quite noticeable. I can take a picture if anyone cares to see exactly what they look.

I can attest to the quality of the fabric they used. Its quite well made and should last a long time. However, the one that came with my car seems to have shrunk a bit over time and since the fabric is pretty substantial, it doesn't offer much stretch, making it very hard to actually snap into place. While this may be a good thing (it probably won't flap in the wind at high speeds), it does make mine very hard to get in place. Frankly, its much easier to pop out the top and put it on.

Since this car had a LOT of windshield frame rust I was afraid to pull too hard lest I fold the whole windshield frame into the passenger compartment! Now that I've addressed the rust and strengthened the frame, I'll try again soon!

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is; when would I actually use a tonneau? If you can get past the look of the grommets, it certainly has value as a unique and kind of cool thing but if you are caught in a quick downpour, that top is probably a faster option.

Ed

5 Still available....

Don't miss your chance to get one. Who knows if they will ever come around again.

<Bump> Only a couple left.......

Maybe the last chance to add one of these hard to find collectibles to your collection. Any questions please let me know.

Back