K20 X1/9 for sale

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
Regretfully, I have decided to sell my 1977 X1/9. I am doing so to thin the herd and focus upon my 850 Spider.

This X1/9 is really special, by far the best I have ever owned. And it is priced that way. This car has had the full Midwest Bayless K20 conversion (their # 6 I think) including:

• 2005 Honda K20a from an Acura RSX Type S (engine estimated at 60K miles)
• 6 speed Honda transmission
• Hondata Computer-bringing HP up to 240+
• Koni Coilovers
• Whoa brakes
• Vicks Racing Radiator
• 16 Rota Shakotan Wheels from Allison Automotive
• Yokohama S-drives for ties (5 K miles)
• Air Conditioning*
• New 1974 corn row carpet
• New clutch/pedal assembly
• Hertz/Kenwood/ JL Audio system: GPS,

• AM/FM/Bluetooth/DVD/CD 300 watt with subwoofer
    • Custom truck exhaust fab’ed by Midwest
    • New vinyl and leather interior redone in 2012 to match paint
    • Center console, leather Henk visors
    • High intensity lights with Bob Brown insertable wiring harness.
    • All new and very bright dash gauges
    • Comes with Two tops, one black and one yellow
    • Frunk is carpeted
    • Momo matching steering wheel

Car is bumperless and has one of the finest “finished look” front and rear of any X I’ve seen. However there are some issues, one of which I am working on now and will be resolved Saturday:
    • AC pipe to condenser is broken, having it redone this weekend, and AC will be recharged
    • Front Trunk and rear trunk are not painted yellow. They are coated with an industrial gray paint to prevent damage, but it is a little ugly 
    • Windshield washer doesn’t work well. Works intermittently. Wipers are great
    • With K20 conversion, rear window defroster not functional (part of design)

I’ve invested close to $ 40K into what was already a $ 4,500 car, but realize that you just don’t get it all back on a sale. I understand I’m going to take a beating on this.

I‘m going to advertise the car locally starting tonight for $ 29,500 and would give any Xweb members a $3000 discount off of that, or $ 26,500. I’d much prefer the car goes to someone on the board. I’ll work with anyone on shipping too, though that would be at the buyer’s expense.

I’ve attached some of the fine photos Matt took when car was completed, and am happy to answer any questions you might have (contact me through Xweb initially please) or send more photos.

I can assure you the car runs just great, and that except for what I’ve detailed above, there are no issues with it at all. I plan on staying around XWeB forever, so I better be telling you the truth 

=======================================================================
    Weird, NOT ONE of the photos made it to the post. Please go HERE for photos:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22130/

And pictures and writeup of the entertainment/GPS system:
    http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/12142/

Last edited by a moderator:
Say it ain't so, Jim!

I've never driven an 850 but it would have to be a hell of a car to come anywhere near my K20 X. Good luck with the sale.

Pete

Wow -- I recall reading previous updates on your car Jim and she's both beauty and beast :) I can't believe you're selling :( Would love to buy her but too rich for my blood -- good luck with the sale!

(BTW no photos attached)

Regretfully, I have decided to sell my 1977 X1/9. I am doing so to thin the herd and focus upon my 850 Spider.

This X1/9 is really special, by far the best I have ever owned. And it is priced that way. This car has had the full Midwest Bayless K20 conversion (their # 6 I think) including:

• 2005 Honda K20a from an Acura RSX Type S
(engine estimated at 60K miles)
• 6 speed Honda transmission
• Hondata Computer-bringing HP up to 240+
• Koni Coilovers
• Whoa brakes
• Vicks Racing Radiator
• 15 inch Rota Shakotan Wheels from Allison Automotive
• Yokohama S-drives for ties (5 K miles)
• Air Conditioning*
• New 1974 corn row carpet
• New clutch/pedal assembly
• Hertz/Kenwood/ JL Audio system with motorized screen Garmin GPS,AM/FM/Bluetooth/DVD/CD
300 watt with subwoofer
• Custom truck exhaust fab’ed by Midwest
• New vinyl and leather interior redone in 2012 to match paint
• Center console, leather Henk visors
• High intensity lights with Bob Brown insertable wiring harness.
• All new and very bright dash gauges
• Comes with Two tops, one black and one yellow
• Frunk is carpeted
front sway bay
• Momo matching steering wheel

You can see my post on the stereo system at this link, lots of photos too.http://www.xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/12142&highlight=entertainment

Car is bumperless and has one of the finest “finished look” front and rear of any X I’ve seen. However there are some issues, one of which I am working on now and will be resolved Saturday:
• AC pipe to condenser is currently broken, having it redone this weekend, and AC will be recharged and cold
• Front Trunk and rear trunk are not painted yellow. They are coated with an industrial gray paint to prevent damage, but it is a little ugly 
• Windshield washer doesn’t work well. Works intermittently. Wipers are great
• With K20 conversion, rear window defroster not functional (part of design)

I’ve invested close to $ 40K into what was already a $ 4,500 car, but realize that you just don’t get it all back on a sale. I understand I’m going to take a beating on this.

I‘m going to advertise the car locally starting tonight for $ 29,500 and would give any Xweb members a $3000 discount off of that, or $ 26,500. I’d much prefer the car goes to someone on the board. I’ll work with anyone on shipping too, though that would be at the buyer’s expense.

I’ve attached some of the fine photos Matt took when car was completed, and am happy to answer any questions you might have (contact me through Xweb initially please) or send more photos.

Matt's thread btw is here with great photos: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22130/

I can assure you the car runs just great, and that except for what I’ve detailed above, there are no issues with it at all. I plan on staying around XWeB forever, so I better be telling you the truth :)

JM-e.jpg

JM-b.jpg

JM-a.jpg

JM-c.jpg

JM-d.jpg

JM-f.jpg

JM-g.jpg

JM-h.jpg

JM-i.jpg

JM-j.jpg

JM-l.jpg

JM-m.jpg

JM-k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!

That could NOT have been an easy decision!!!

Regardless, Best Of Luck with the sale:)

PS--Not sure how you get stuff on the "Bring a Trailer" web site, but if any car ever deserved to get on, yours is it!

Just when I join the club, someone leaves it :(

Hope you come to your senses and keep that beauty. BTW - I used MANY of the pics of the install to work out how to do mine so thank you!

Can only imagine you will regret this

but I do have a question - where/how did you get a 'new cornrow '74 carpet'?

Saw it at the MWB open house

Bummer Jim. No way I can afford it, but I really liked looking at it. :)

I will just remind myself that I could never get it licensed in MO anyway due to the debumpering. I had to hang so 77 bumpers on my 85 to get it thru inspection last year.

Good luck with the sale.

Awesome car,
Never thought about a Acura motor in a "X"

What is your plan on your 850? Any pictures you can share?

Big difference in a 850 and a x1/9 chassis……..

Hey Jim, If I tell ya how to fix ...

...the rear window defroster, maybe you'll keep the car. :excited:

I agree with Pete....

...so it ain't so. But I would add, that your price is too low and bringing the price of mine down.........is that selfish? I know what these things cost, someone would get a very good deal at that price.......even the higher price......let alone how rare this car is with a K20 conversion. Plus, this car was built by Jonathan Pack, a guy who has some serious skills as a welder/fabricator, so you know it was built right.

All I know, is that the first person to test drive it, will buy it.

Gerald

Jim,

I'm sad to see you selling the X1/9. Seeing those old pics makes me kinda miss building these cars. I always did put my best effort into building something the owner could be proud of, and I hope the new owner is just as proud as you are.

If anybody has technical questions about the car, I would be happy to answer.

And Jim, if you need anything from me, you can reach me at my gmail address.

JIM... Don't make me come out there and slap ya...

Whatzamatter for you anyway???

How could anyone who wanted all this stuff and keep a car so beautiful, and so many go-fast upgrades... wanna sink in an equally beautiful, but slow and humble little 850?

You SAID it was to focus on the 850... so I'll take you for your word. If its a personal or money issue... I'll respect your privacy and leave you alone.

More to come if it isn't!

thanks Jon!

I really appreciate hearing from you. Hope things are well for you! See any of the DVD's yet? :)

For those that don't know, "Longitudinal" is Jonathan Pack, the excellent mechanic and artist that, along with Matt Brannon and team, built my car and several of the other K20's.

I really appreciate hearing from you. Hope things are well for you! See any of the DVD's yet? :)

For those that don't know, "Longitudinal" is Jonathan Pack, the excellent mechanic and artist that, along with Matt Brannon and team, built my car and several of the other K20's.

Second that and Jonathan IS responsive when you need some oddball K20-x19 answer :clap:

Jim,

No way in hell you can sell your X. You promised me a good drive around Cape Cod next time I head east to visit my daughter in Quincy.

I think Tony and I both need to come out and slap you around until you return to your senses. We might also need a hit man from Utica.:devil:

Another idea is to sell it to Bob Brown so he can make it the next trailer queen. Obviously, you two will need an agreement that if you have seller's remorse at some point, he's gotta sell it back to you.

I know this had to be an agonizing decision for you.

Mike

Sad to hear you are selling it. Sounds like many here have already tried to talk you out of it.

Will be great if you can get additional exposure for this vehicle. It is very special and unique. The price you are asking is less than what it would cost for someone to build their own. But as with many vehicles which are improved and modified at substantial cost, it's difficult to find a buyer who appreciates the specific modifications and is willing to pay a lot for them (again -- even though your asking price is far less than the cost to make them).

I'm probably stating the obvious here... But hopefully you will get sufficient exposure (bringatrailer?) to deliver the RIGHT buyer who appreciates what you've done here and is able and willing to pay for the value!

Back