1980 Fiat X 1/9, FFO Class Winner

halojm

True Classic
Not just once, but both times I entered it, at the 2010 FFO in Asheville, NC and the 2013 FFO in Long Island, NY. Unfortunately, I am losing my garage storage for this beauty and I refuse to leave it out in the elements. Now, in deference to Bob Brown, this is no Queen, but, as the many who have seen this car can attest, it’s a beautiful, well sorted, powerful X with low miles. The specifics follow:

-1980 Fiat X 1/9, 34,400 original miles, second owner, rust-free body.

-Completely renovated body, updated with early spoiler and Euro bumpers, finished in correct Bordeaux color.

-Seats custom reupholstered with correct pattern in bright white/black pattern to match upgraded interior. Perfect dash with updated 140mph speedo and working glove box door. Good carpets and custom embroidered floor mats. All new door and targa top moldings. Custom space saver spare.

-Completely rebuilt, high performance engine with decked block, new pistons, rings and bearings. Ported/polished shaved Euro head, performance Euro cam degreed with adjustable cam sprocket, ported and polished Euro intake and exhaust manifolds, aluminum crankshaft pulley, new water pump, custom stainless steel exhaust, new motor mounts, and a properly jetted 34 DATR carb. Custom cold air induction system plumbed from the left side air intake into a modified air cleaner assembly. The whole setup put out 104hp on the dyno, but is brutally dependable, driving to both FFOs as well as many local shows.

-Completely rebuilt trans with all needed gears/synchros/bearings/shifter forks replaced. Upgraded with 3:58 ratio Strada ring and pinion for highway cruising. Lightened flywheel with new clutch, new clutch master and slave cylinders with new slave cylinder hydraulic hose. Refurbished CD-91 wheels with good Sumitomo 185 60 tires.

-Completely rebuilt brake system with new rotors, calipers, brake hoses, emergency brake cables, and master cylinder.

-Completely rebuilt suspension with new KYB struts, FAZA front and rear lowering springs, new upper strut mounts, new wheel bearings and front sway bar. Eccentric strut mounting bolts with correct autocross alignment.

-Completely replaced cooling system with updated 3 core radiator, dual cooling fans with override fan switch, new water pump, thermostat, and hoses. (It NEVER overheats – even when stuck in downtown Manhattan traffic when I got lost driving to last year’s FFO.)

-All electronics work correctly, GM alternator mod, brown wire mod, and custom cruise control installation.

So that’s all I can remember I’ve done to the X, but I’m sure there is a lot I’ve forgotten that you can read about in my many posts. As I said, it’s not a Queen like Bob Brown’s beauty, but it is a gorgeous, very fast, nimble X that drives extremely well and is at home both at the racetrack (it won G Prepared at the local AutoCross in 2009) and on the highway (I drove it 10 hours down to FFO 2010 in Asheville, NC). Many on this forum have seen the X and can vouch for it, but I live 15 minutes from Philadelphia Airport so you could fly in and drive it back. If you want a well sorted, beautiful X that you can win at shows or at the racetrack, this is the one. Enjoy the photos. Now on Bring a Trailer at http://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/15/34k-mile-1980-fiat-x19/
$11,500 OBO

FFO 2010 Class Winner

FFO 2013 Class Winner

G Prepared Class Winner

Last edited:
No Need To Sell....

I'm in southern Ontario and am willing to store it for free. You're welcome to come anytime and take it for a drive:)

All jokes aside...

That is one BEAUTIFUL X1/9. You have done a great job and I think the price is quite reasonable. There is no way I can get my X anywhere near as nice for $10k and I paid a lot more than $1,500 for mine. I wish I could say I was on my way to pick it up. It's a great car. I love the engine detail. Would love to have my engine look like that. Good job.

Last edited:
One question....

If you don't mind. Would you have any pictures of your custom exhaust setup? I really like the two pipes coming out the middle. I'm about to redo my own exhaust and I think this would be a great thing to do. Just wondering how you've made it all work underneath. Any details on the exhaust would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Pictures of custom cold air intake?

I would love to see what you did in regards to your custom cold air intake. Your car is beautiful! It gives me encouragement for the work that I plan to do on my 1980 X1/9.

Where did your find the best place to source the parts from Europe? I would like to get the European (or 1974 USA version) exhaust manifold.

All the best to finding a good home for your wonderful X1/9.

George

Cold Air Intake

I don't have any detailed pictures of it, but here's what I did:
-Remove left side air vent (I removed both to get a bit more air into the engine compartment)
-Carefully cut the grating out of the side air vents, leaving the vertical "slats" intact (I used a air die grinder with a pencil tip)
-Put new dense foam sealing tape on the backs of the side air vents where they press up against the inner air ducting (I just figured it would force all of the cold air where I wanted it to go)
-Get a spare 1980 air cleaner housing (I got mine from Midwest Bayless)
-Cut off all of the air inlet snorkel except the last inch near the air cleaner housing main body
-Go to an auto parts speed shop and get 3feet of 3inch moldable air induction hose
-Shape the hose to go from the 1inch remaining piece of the snorkel (you'll have to heat the hose end slightly into an oval shape to get it on) to the inner air duct on the left side
-Seal up the joints with wide electrical tape and it looks like it belongs there

I'll post photos of the finished product when I pull the X out again.

Dave

On it's way to its new home in California!

Here it is on the enclosed car carrier under its car cover because there's an old Chevelle SS above it that might leak oil.

Dave

that custom exhaust Dave did is fabulous!

IMG_0569-1.jpg

Back