1981 Fiat X1/9

1981 Fiat X1/9

This is not the normal level of car that we advertise, but is a true survivor with a lot of inherent value that we’d like to see land in the hands of an accomplished, or first-time FIAT enthusiast.

X19-1981-BROWN-A.jpg

While the color and cosmetic condition of this car has a lot to be desired, it is a solid, functioning daily driver that has a lot going for it inside and out. The body problems are cosmetic, not structural. The motor, transaxle, suspension and interior are where this car shines, at 80-95 points per item even with its high miles.

X19-1981-BROWN-B.jpg

This car is worthy of the cosmetic body work required for saving. As these cars get harder to find, we’ve seen enthusiasts world-wide successfully restore non-running, non-driving Fiat X1/9s whose starting condition we, as a company, would identify as “salvage only”.

While the part-out value is likely twice our asking price for the entire car, I can’t bear to disassemble a vehicle that functions so well.

X19-1981-BROWN-C.jpg

This particular X19 would be a good “starter X” for someone wanting to learn about the cars, or a daily driver that you won’t worry about errant shopping carts or salty roads. To the right enthusiast, this car is worthy of additional investment, such as new paint and body work / flares to become a prime driver or custom toy, or buy it to transfer all of the mechanicals, electricals and trims to a pristine body.

X19-1981-BROWN-D.jpg

It has a 1500cc fuel injected engine, 5-Spd trans and alloy wheels. It even includes a good condition front grille, air dam and brake reservoir!

X19-1981-BROWN-E.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-F.jpg

Complete factory air conditioning is intact, although does not work. This is important, as retrofitting AC to a non-AC X19 is a very challenging task.

X19-1981-BROWN-G.jpg

Motor runs great, starts at the first turn of the key, even in subzero temps, with no knocks or smoke out of the tail pipe.

X19-1981-BROWN-H.jpg

• New clutch master and slave cylinder, with excellent feel.
  • 5-speed transmission shifts perfectly up and down with no synchronizer or reverse problems.
  • Bearings are quiet and it does not whine or hum in any of the 5 gears.
  • Hubs and wheel bearings are quiet at freeway speeds.
  • Fresh brake pads at all four corners, car stops well.
  • Steering and tracking are nice and straight at freeway speeds, with no slop or shimmy in the steering wheel.
  • KYB struts in front, stock struts in rear.
  • Hub-centric 4x98 Alloy wheels with 165/70-13 tires.

Electricals are stock and “uncut”. Headlights, turn signals, tail lights all work correctly. Heater blower fan is in-op, although heater core itself is in good shape and works correctly.

Cooling system holds pressure and runs at 190-195 at freeway speeds even though the fins on the radiator are a bit rusty. Dual fans cycle as needed and keep the car at 200 when idling.

The interior is in remarkably good shape, a testament to this car being stored inside most of its life. It has an uncracked and blemish-free dashboard, with excellent condition door cards. Passenger seat is in good shape, the driver’s seat has some tears in the seat bottom. Carpet is decent.
X19-1981-BROWN-I.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-J.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-K.jpg

Structurally, it is solid. The windshield frame is clean, with minor surface rust in spots. It has an original factory windshield that is clean without chips, cracks or lamination problems. The rear drains near the engine cover are solid, and rear shock towers good. The front vertical shock tower areas have some minor rust peeking through.

X19-1981-BROWN-L.jpg

This car has cosmetic rust issues in the fender arches, is missing both rear trunk pockets, and has deep rust on the leading edges of the doors.

Decklid and hood are in great shape with no underseam rust. Nose is good with no collision damage. Front fenders appear solid.

It will need new floorpans, but they are not open to the ground.

X19-1981-BROWN-M.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-N.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-O.jpg

X19-1981-BROWN-P.jpg

This is one of the best running and driving high-miles cars that we’ve ever encountered, and with a little body work, some fender flares and a fresh coat of paint, could be a fun ride.

$3,500 here to members on the forum, and if no takers, it will land on eBay.

If you have questions, let us know.

-Matt
Midwest-Bayless Italian Auto
1333 Kingry St.
Columbus, Ohio 43211
614-784-8870
parts*midwest-bayless.com.

The removable access panel...

...is rusty on the bottom edge like most but complete and is bolted into place. The rear muffler area and trunk floor seem OK, but I haven't removed the trunk floor pan to look for sure.

-M

I actually drove this X this morning...

....and I could not believe how smooth it runs. This car runs better than any of the nine X1/9s I have previously owned...and shifts absolutely perfectly. Just blip the key and it fires immediately with a smooth idle. No rattles or creaks. It is really a good car.
I just purchased a Mercedes SL500, or I would strongly consider it.
This would be a great car to put flares or a dallara kit on. All of the mechanicals are great!

Easy now....I think the color is Sepia...

My ugly brown (sepia) '81 that used to have gold stripes, used to look decent with that camel interior!... besides, it matches the same era brown beer fridge (also in the garage)...is the color code sticker still on the trunk lid?...If i win the mega millions lotto tonight, I will have it shipped to you to restore!

I know what you are thinking

An employee discount........ and free shop time and cheep access to parts..........:)

Back