couple of electrical questions

pdxgeo

True Classic
Does anyone have a diagram of how to wire a Bosch electronic ignition from a later X into a 128? it is already done in SplitPea but I want to add relays and Id like to understand how the upgrade changed from original. Some of the wires are wrapped or routed through plastic covers so it's kind of hard to tell without undoing stuff.

Also, can anyone describe the method for getting the ignition switch cylinder lock to pop out of the holder? there is the small button on top and what looks like a lever perhaps at the 6 o clock position under the key...

Thanks

Maybe this will help...

ignitionyq3.jpg

As far as the ignition switch disassembly goes, I believe it has to be removed from the column first.
I could be wrong about that but that's how I've see it done.

Also, can anyone describe the method for getting the ignition switch cylinder lock to pop out of the holder? there is the small button on top and what looks like a lever perhaps at the 6 o clock position under the key...
Thanks
If it is like the X1/9, see this section of the Wiki. The key has to be in the ignition for this to work, and I also had to pull the individual pins out from the connector housing to get the wires through the opening in the ignition switch housing bolted to the steering column.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm

Thank you Bob for the diagram.

I have a new ignition switch en route so i plan toremove the entirr housing and replace it but i want to be able to snap a pic of where the various wires go behind the switch before i disconnect them. ng you mentioned having to disconnect them but will they yield enough to allow for a pic?

Thanks again!

As Bob said, wires are plenty long to snap some photos. Below is the switch in my X1/9, switch hanging by the wires while I hold the connector at the other end. I don't know what the wire colors are for the 128. The colors in the photo may even be wrong for an X1/9; the switch is for sure not original to the car.

P1000284.JPG

And here is the opening that the wires have to come through:

DSC09766.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a diagram which I think is much easier to wire up than if using the X 1/9 ignition control box.

I wrote an instructable on how to wire up a 5 pin GM HEI module to a Bosch magnetic pickup. This type of module is for a boost retard system on turbocharged vehicles.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dirt-cheap-ignition-retard-for-turbocharged-engine/

You can use the cheaper 4 pin HEI module if all you have is the distributor. Just make sure pin "C" goes to the negative side of the coil and pin "B" goes to the plus side of the coil. If you get the polarities from the pickup to the control module reversed, it won't hurt anything, the engine just won't start. So just swap wires.

You will need some sort of heat sink block and some paste which usually comes with a new HEI module. Like a piece of 1/4" thick alumnium from Lowes. Or the Bosch control module heat sink block.

I mean, this is only if you don't want to use the bulky X 1/9 ignition controller or use the smaller Bosch control module which was used on the Yugo.

Pay no attention to the colored pickup wires on the diagram below. The Bosch pickup wires are green and brown.

wiring-diagram.jpg

Back