1977 X1/9 project

tipo158

Daily Driver
*SOLD* - 1977 X1/9 project

I need to learn my lesson and quit buying projects because I end up never having time to finish them. Bought this car through this forum late last spring as a summer project (see http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21395/) and ran out of time. Looking at my schedule, I don't have time to do anything with it for some time, so I am selling.

*SOLD* Very flexible on price if buyer intends to get it back on the road.

It is located in Bainbridge Is, WA, across the water from Seattle.

The chassis is solid. Only surface rust. As I understand it, it once had rust in all of the normal places and the previous owner dealt with it.

It is complete except for a) no washer bottle b) the plastic threads on the wipers used to hold them in place at the base of the windscreen are stripped, c) no bumpers (I was intending to install Euro bumpers) and d) targa/door seal.

Photos to be posted this evening. It doesn't look too different from when I got it (see post referenced above).

alan

Last edited by a moderator:
In the photos, you may notice:

1. The rear compartment cover is not yellow or primer. I was experimenting with wrapping a car in vinyl, so a couple of panels still have the vinyl wrap.

2. The rear of the car is painted gray. I had painted the yellow and then experimented with wrapping. When I removed the vinyl, the yellow paint lifted with it. It was then that I discovered that what I thought was gray primer was really gray POR-15 (which paint does not adhere to). Much of the gray on the rear of the car is primer that adheres to POR-15, but I didn't finish it.

3. The dash is covered with vinyl, but I didn't finish it. The dash had two big cracks front-to-back, at the center defrost vent and minor flaking of its original covering. I have re-covered dashes in upholstery vinyl before, so I decided to give it a shot on the X1/9. However, I managed to scuff the vinyl and waffled on how to proceed.

4. Parts not seen on the car (like side marker lights, vents, etc.) are in the boxes.

Hi I just joined this forum to contact you. Last week I bought a 79 for $250 that had a tree fall on it. I started looking on here for a windshield with frame, both doors, targa, .... I'm a mechanic but I'm not a body guy and anyway I'd be way more into it than if I bought your car. I liked that you wrote that you'd like to deal with someone who'll drive it one day, so I'll tell you that my dad died when I was four ( I'm now 37) and for years his green 74 sat in our driveway. I spent hours practicing shifting while making motor sounds. My brother who is six years older than me drove it until the day it caught fire and was scrapped. Sorry for the sob story but I always knew I would have one some day. I don't have a trailer (or truck), so I guess my main concern is how to get it here within budget.

It seems like everyone who is interested in a project like this are far enough away that the transportation costs are too high. After I listed it on eBay, I had a guy in Louisiana tell me that he really wanted it, but I think shipping something like this there is crazy.

alan

Hey Allen,

This is Paul I called you a few weeks back. Surprised you still have this! I am still interested I'll call you today.

The nice thing is that nothing (other than guilt that I am doing nothing with the car) is forcing me to sell it, so I can take my time and find someone who will try and get it back on the road.

alan

Do you want to know what I hate about selling things, particularly cars? It is the guys who immediately respond to your ad with "what is the absolutely lowest price that you will sell it for?"

Happily, no one here has ever responded to one of my 'for sale' posts here that way. Thank you.

alan

Yes, it is still available.

There are a couple of semi-serious people who have expressed interest. The ad will be updated once it is out of my garage.

alan

Finally sold ...

I finally sold the project car today.

Got about what I put into it, plus I learned ALOT about X1/9s that will help when I get around to getting the one that I want.

alan

Back