Long Island drive report. (long)

Fiatpwr

True Classic
We started off in the trusty and always reliable 131 on Thursday for the '13 Freak Out in Haupauge NY.

We stopped Royalton for some greasy spoon trip lube.
Notice the Beetle in the back ground. This is the car that we shared a local news paper article with about summer cars. She also owns the Restaurant.

On the road again....:dance2:

We stopped at the history museum in Springfield Mass. in search of Indians.
We found a T-Rex.

They have a pretty cool car collection. They had a couple of Indians as well.

Rolls Royce build cars for a short time in Springfield. This car was purchased and driven but the same owner for 70 years! Rolls believes it to be the longest one time owner car in the world.

It was super hot so we stopped for the night in Middletown CT. This bar was awesome.

One of my ancestors is buried here. He came to the U.S. in 1633. and died in 1713 at the age of 97. Not to shabby.

At the bar someone told us about a classic car shop in Portland CT so we took a detour to check it out.

Some cool junk out back.

...and up front.

Merak.

Novi indy special with a Maserati V8.

More stuff out back. Lancia Flaminia and Citroen Mehari.

By this time the rad fan and horn have stopped working. It appears that the fuse holder has melted into the case and is no longer making good contact with the fuse. I did a little bending w/ a screwdriver and everything started working. I now have a 'test horn' for the rad fan.

Bridgeport is not the most attractive town.

After being relieved of 70 bucks we are off to the Island.

Arrival!
First thing we see is a 2nd generation Multipla and a 500L, which is the 3rd gen Multipla.

Parking lot candy.

Rear and center diff lock.

The next day we lined up for the parade to the show field. Doug in the yellow 131 hooked me up with a fuse jumper.

The jumper was ready to go with gator clips.

Excellent!

Doug's car had factory A/C. So I took some photo notes.

So cool to see a 131 in a 131 mirror.

If you follow a '96 Multipla, you will not be noticed by anyone.

This 124 wagon was stunning.

Nicest 124 wagon I have ever seen.

1100 wagon original bill of sale.

My vote for best of show. Mellina.

Car I would most like to drive home? Yes please.:shock2:

One thing I love about this Freak Out, is that the exotics are in the back. Usually that space is reserved for 131's and Strada's.

Our fearless photo man Bret.

Best food of the weekend by a long shot.

Back to our regular programing.

Trick Nardi manifold.

These folks live about an hour north of me. Via Bernie!

Old timer spiders.

Tim Beeble's class winner.

Another class winner.

The Griot's garage car and actual best of show winner.

Class winner.

Most 131's since '08.

Love anything Mike Space brings.

1100cc v-4.

Followed an 850 back.

Won some hardware.

Last edited:
Next morning we stayed for the raffle. (I won nothing :sigh:)
Then off to the ferry.
Lots of electrical bugs cropping up. I think that fuse box is toast but at least the fan and horn are working.

We stopped in Northhampton Mass for some walking and food.
Lots of people on the street think the 131 is a Bmw. something like this I guess.

Every city we ticked passed resulted in less traffic. Sure glad I wasn't going to NY City!
A big thank you to all the Flu folk that make this event so enjoyable for the rest of us.

Now to pull that fuse box....:hmm2:

Great write-up!

Thanks for taking the time to publish it.
Almost feel like I was there (a little) :)

Great Write-Up + 1

Captured a lot of the essence of FFO.

I am the guy who walks around so enamored with details of studying the cars and talking to the owners, that the last two cars are left in the lot and I smack my head and say "jeez, I didn't take a single picture".

Thanks for covering for guys like me.

-M

Great writeup Jon

I think you captured the event best.
I took photos of X1/9's the first day, then the "lawn event" from a distance, then put the camera away.
I got some good shots of ideas built into some X's, but I was having a good time talking with folks like you
who share our passion. To me, that was the best part of the show.

Another highlight was spending time with Lou Terresi and his Niece... We were teaching her to drive
"standard" and he was using his red Abarth as the training vehicle. (Lou also let me drive it too, thanks Lou!)

Thanks for sharing Jon, and hopefully we'll have a meetup at my place late this summer or early fall.

Thanks for sharing Jon, and hopefully we'll have a meetup at my place late this summer or early fall.

I look forward to that and thanks for the electron advice.
I want to learn more about the X ceramic fuse box. See if I can retro it into the 131.

Great event

Thanks for sharing the photos. It was fun seeing everyone again. The cars were amazing as usual and the people even better. I always love how this club has people who are so much fun to be around. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly, unlike any other club I have ever been involved with.

Your photos do capture the event well, thanks for sharing.

We made it home today in the Multipla with zero issues with the car. A few scares though but nothing came of it.

That Classic Car shop

is of course Wayne Carrini's (sp) place of Velocity Channels 'Chasing Classic Cars' fame. Pretty cool. Nice Italian car pics too. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a great time.....

I was there on Friday night with my wife to register and have dinner. We walked around the parking lot for a bit and figured we would meet everyone at Westbury Gardens, but we never made it. I'll shard my disappointing story in another thread, I really wanted to meet a all the members there. Great pictures.....but they make me more depressed about not being able to make the 23 mile trip.....maybe next time.

Great pics!

Great pics there Jon!

Glad to see there are more than three 131s still on the American roads these days. I thought you, Putman and myself owned the last surviving 131s in the US.

Hopefully I'll get back into the club one of these days. Current conditions in the past few years have not allowed me to attend any Freakouts much less any local car shows for that matter.

I doubt I'll even make it to the Chicago event next year. Hopefully situations will get better in a few years and maybe by that time I'll be able to get back into the club.

1980 Fiat 2000 Spider turbo
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo
1980 Fiat 131 Brava (non turbo but you never know..)

F40 shop

I think that shop is one from Chasing Classic Cars on the Velocity channel.. He has classic fiat in collection can remember what it is off hand..

Back