VAS Rad....totally rad!

socalx19

True Classic
This is pretty.....I may have to tear a page out of Papa Tony's playbook and mount this on the top of the targa bar :excited:

280AF5A1-CE63-4828-8F0E-83F08EA6D8DF-8634-000008187BEF6302_zpsb20bebc6.jpg

Installation to begin tonight....

That's nutty...

That's nutty, why wouldn't they just put in the stock area and vent it like the stock one? :confused: :confuse2: :eyepop:

VERY PRETTY... and there MUST be a...

GOOD reason why that neat little bleeder is mounted that way... I just can't figure out why!

(Man always has a REAL reason and a GOOD reason for doing anything...)

Ineffective

Yes,
also, the point where the air escapes (the tip of the blue fitting) is far below the highest point of the radiator, so it is not effective in letting all the air out of the radiator...

Yes,
also, the point where the air escapes (the tip of the blue fitting) is far below the highest point of the radiator, so it is not effective in letting all the air out of the radiator...

It's the level where the fitting joins the radiator that determines how much air won't be released, so that bleeder will be more effective than it looks. I wouldn't expect any problems in practice.

But it still seems to be neither more effective nor easier to use than the stock setup. Maybe someone from VAS will notice this thread and comment on why they went this way? Manufacturabilty, perhaps?

I'm spoiled by stock parts I guess. For $549.50 I'd expect it to fit and function just like the stock one, unless there is a compelling reason to make it different.

Now watch, now that I'm on VAS's bad side I'll end up needing one next weekend. :whistle:

Eric is right. It is bleeding from the very top corner of the tank. I would say it's perfectly adequate and will bleed the rad effectively. Even if you added a pipe that extended the valve below the rad, physics says it would still bleed fine!

Also if you consider the angle the rad sits at in the car, you will see that bleed valve is in fact nearly horizontal.

Whatever you do, accessibility is poor in the X1/9's layout. With the Scirocco conversion, one can fit a remote bleed arrangement via a short length of hose into a more accessible area, maybe that would be the solution to adopt.

Cheers R

The bleeder works...

Just not the easiest to get to. If you use the cold or cool radiator method to vent the air out, then its not so tough but if you (like me) warm it up first, then it can be difficult and tricky as you will no doubt touch the radiator.

My fitment wasn't perfect and I had to open up one of the mount bracket holes on the radiator. The fittings are a little smaller than stock so the radiator hose lines are not a super tight fit. I found I had tighten and re-tighten those connectors more than I had hoped while I installed it and bled the system.

The last thing was the radiator fans. It's really cool they provide them, but I find they are not as powerful as the stock fan(s). And to attach them VAS provides these slip plastic connectors that slip threw the fins to attach the fans. Not a huge deal, but it would be cool if welded some small brackets to attach them.

It does work well, MUCH lighter than stock and looks cool until you put your grill back on ;)

It does look like a little dremel work where the existing access hole in the front compartment is could make the bleeding task a lot easier. I'll take a closer look to see just how much would be needed.

My installation went smooth but Tim is right, the hoses needed to be clamped tighter and actually leaked at first. Otherwise, it went right in without an issue. The nylon fasteners for the fac was a head-scratcher at first...I do like the fact that the entire assembly of fans, radiator and hoses is a LOT easier to manage in and out of the car as opposed to the stock setup - which I always dreaded messing with.

That's why I haven't gotten one.

There's a perfectly good hole in the frunk for bleeding the radiator. I don't like the strange bleeder arrangement at all. I was hoping that they had changed that to the stock location. A real shame.

There's a perfectly good hole in the frunk for bleeding the radiator. I don't like the strange bleeder arrangement at all. I was hoping that they had changed that to the stock location. A real shame.

I really don't think it's quite that bad. Unless someone tells me there's absolutely no benefit at all to having a clean, new aluminum radiator over refurbishing the 27 yr old OE one which has already been dipped at least twice. This is minor. I'll call them up and see what tech tip they might have to offer. Widening the hole and using this version of the bleed screw would be an improvement.

I really don't think it's quite that bad. Unless someone tells me there's absolutely no benefit at all to having a clean, new aluminum radiator over refurbishing the 27 yr old OE one which has already been dipped at least twice. This is minor. I'll call them up and see what tech tip they might have to offer. Widening the hole and using this version of the bleed screw would be an improvement.

I like mine. If I didn't, I would take it out and put the stocker back in. I may also add an access hole or something to reach the bleeder from the front boot. Hell, I might be venting threw the bonnet soon anyway...(future project...)

I am thinking,

to change my rad to this one.
So, I have a plan to travel to Denver area this June may be, so at the time I will pick it up at hotel Boulderado in Boulder. It's worth or cheaper than Japanese one, $1875. Is this still available?
How do you think?

http://fkrx19.web.fc2.com/originalparts.html

N.AMADA
JAPAN

Wish I could translate that site.

Try this...

Well I got it bled and running nice and cool. Got the fans to come on as well after idling for almost a half an hour. "Light" cruising around and it fluctuates between 190 and a tick below. No leaks, it runs, no errors, no parts leftover...happy camper.

Try this...

Well I got it bled and running nice and cool. Got the fans to come on as well after idling for almost a half an hour. "Light" cruising around and it fluctuates between 190 and a tick below. No leaks, it runs, no errors, no parts leftover...happy camper.

Well done Rudy. How long do your fans stay on?

Back