Headlight one up one down

karhawk

True Classic
what's up with that? Is there a way to reset the head light motors? They were working fine, now they are opposite one up and one down.

Chris,

This is one possibility. Open up the access panel in the front to the headlight motor that won't go up. See if the wiring is all twisted around the motor drive.

A few months ago, I was at Papa Tony's to do the front bumper repair. Being the winner of his coveted "All Thumbs Award", he wanted to look at my electrical work for the BWM and headlight relay mod. When he asked me to turn on the headlights, one wouldn't go up, even though it was fine previously like yours.

We laughed when we saw the original wiring all twisted. First times for everything. Once we got the wiring untwisted and re-secured, it's been fine since.

Mike

Bell Crank?

Are you sure the bell crank is in the same position on each motor?

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Relay?

I've had multiple issues with my headlight motors over the years on my black 79. You may want to check at the fusebox first, check for blown fuses/ bad contacts. Same at the headlight relays. Once had a wire come loose from a relay and the right motor would work fine, bit the left motor wouldrun non stop. That'S where I'd look first.

Maybe...

If both pods are working up and down, but are out of sync, and you haven't done any wiring modification to the headlight switch, the problem is most likely mechanical. The connection between the motor and the pod is an "elbow" link. Try this; cycle the lights on and off a few times and stop with the headlight switch off. Disconnect the battery. Manually lower the pod that is up using the black knob on the motor. Reconnect the battery and see what happens. If one pod rises and one does not, I would then suspect the headlight switch.

Good luck.

I have done nothing but cked grounds and fuses etc.

Tried unplugging the left pod and closed it using the nut, it just pops up again when I reconnect it. Opposite to the properly working Right side.

I Suspect...

1. the interior headlight switch.

I do not remember the configuration of the switch on my '75, but I have taken the switch on my '87 apart and cleaned it with good results. It is a pita to get it out of the dash. If the switch on your '75 is original, it would be a good idea to hunt down a replacement anyway.

2. the relay.

There is a left and right pod relay in the fuse panel. If you could locate and swap them, you can deturmine which is bad (or not) by the results.

I thik TonyK has it...

The bell crank.
if one is up while the other is down, and flipping the switch reverses this condition, then it's definitely the bell crank.

The fix:
1. Loosen the nut at the motor.
2. If the headlight is in the down position, pull the arm loose from the motor, manually put the headlight in the up position and re-attach the arm. Tighten the nut.
2a If the headlight is in the up position, pull the arm loose from the motor, manually put the headlight in the down position and re-attach the arm. Tighten the nut.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
headlight play

Thanks Bob, that was the solution. The reason for the issue is a loose stud that the headlight case pivots on. Can the stud be welded so there is less play?

Headlight case pivot

If yours is loose, you might need to replace the pivot mount and the screw that goes into it. (it might be stripped)
The pivot mount is held in with a couple (maybe 3?) 10mm hex screws
These are not expensive parts and are very easy to obtain.

Back