Cam Tool Specs

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
Papa Tony generously loaned me his cam tool and while I am waiting for new shims I took the opportunity to use my amateurish drafting skills to record the specifications. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone with precision metal machining skills will make up a bunch and sell them to our vendors. Then we can all buy them! Looks simple enough. Flat metal stock about 1/4 inch or so (5mm), machined in the manner specified below. Go to it...somebody!
cam_tool.jpg

Incidentally the tool from Nor Cal mentioned a while ago is a no go. Much ticker, wrong curvature. NIce handle though.

While I am at it

Here are the original pictures.
cam_tool_1s.jpg

cam_tool_2.jpg

and the VW tool
VW_tool.jpg

and the comparison in width
VW_tool_2.jpg

Great comparison Larry...

But it looks like the NorCal tool could be modified and machined to work! Especially now that you have something to compare it to.

I guess if it was done by hand it would be difficult but a sophisticated water jet programmed would probably work...

I don't own one though...

Hopefully you got your valves done!

Pap Tony, the NorCal tool looks like a good start

Certainly would need some machining to get to a usable shape though.

I'm still waiting for the new shims. Then I should be able to wrap up this little project. Like waiting for Christmas.

Larry,

do you have a native Autocad or dxf file format of this drawing? I can inquire with local waterjet places on the cost of making a production run of if there is enough interest.

I would also need the radius and center point of the notch in the back, or maybe Papa Tony would send it my way and I could duplicate it. I have a CNC mill and could knock them out. That one looks like cast steel?

Arthur, my drafting application does export to dxf

but the results are screwy. Maybe the jpeg would be good for starters?

Brian, the notch could be eliminated

by just increasing the angle of the handle a smidgen. That's a techical term for about 3 degrees.:) It's mainly there to get just a hair (another technical term for a few millimeters) more compression on the cam shim bucket. I'll bet Pap Tony will lend it for the Cause.

Larry,

When Papa Tony is feeling better I'll see if he wants to loan the tool for the cause. I have an extra head here to test it on. If Tony agrees then I'll tool it up and see what the cost per unit will be.

Brian

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of the tool in use? Everything I have worked on over the years had screw adjusters not shims.

Here you go

Fit the tool under the cam shaft so that it contacts two adjacent shim buckets
IM002730.jpg

Press the handle of the tool down firmly to depress the buckets
IM002740.jpg

Get busy fishing the shims out. ;)
IM002738.jpg

Chris and I found that the tool rotated the bucket as you depressed the handle, so the notch for popping out the shim would no longer be in a good spot. After a couple attempts we figured the right position to spin the notch prior to applying the tool.

GREAT pics, Jim........!!

In 13 years of X ownership, messing about with shim changes is something I have not yet attacked!
I have checked (with feeler gauges) the valve clearances on my 1300, and all appear to be within reasonable accordance with the service manual specs. So I have left well alone!
However, the time will come, so I would certainly be a starter for one of Brian Pimm's shim bucket tool creations, if he gets enough bites from us X-heads to manufacture a number of them! :clap:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thanks Larry.........!

I will keep those pics on file!
But I think if I had to get one of these made as a one-off down here, it might be a bit spendy!
Hopefully Brian Pimm may get enough takers to justify making an economic number of them. :whistle:

cheers, Ian - NZ

So from what I see and your description the narrow part of the tool goes between the buckets and the wider part presses the buckets down.

Shouldn't be a problem to knock out some of these.

Ian, don't worry my machine is a small mill, a batch will probably end up being 2.... :thumbsup:

Larry... SHIP IT TO BRIAN...

He's good to return it I'm sure..

BTW... I'm better, but proabably another day or two in the hospital.

Thanx for your concern...

Good to hear that Tony

He's good to return it I'm sure..

BTW... I'm better, but proabably another day or two in the hospital.

Thanx for your concern...

I am happy to hear you are doing better Tony. Take it easy till they send you home. :)

Back