Another Allison Auto Ignition Install

lookforjoe

True Classic
Used Bob's excellent thread as a primary guide.

As he previously noted:

No ring terminal on ground lead

No provision for the ECU (-) feed from the coil

Wrong style terminals on (+) feed to module and (-) feed for tach

No support for tach block

No loom holders

No X1/9 specific wiring diagram

I made a bridge harness from the stock ignition harness.

IMG_1266.jpg

I have several (+) connectors to allow for switched 12v supply for inductive timing light hookup, etc.

Still need to get loom holders to properly isolate ign wires

All my connectors are tucked up in that back corner behind the coil connector.

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Removed the plugs (WR7DC) & re-gapped them to .042" (.045" recommended in the guide). Followed the setup procedure for the dist LED, with the motor set to 12ºBTDC on #4. Had to advance the module once I was actually ready to start up.

Once it was running, I gently advanced the module until it 'felt' right, then checked with timing light once warm. Set it for 12ºBTDC. This turned out to be too much advance, as it pinged under load over 5K rpm. I reset base timing to 10ºBTDC, and it now seems fine.

If the wiring provided actually came with the correct connectors & "y" cable for the EFI signal, this could be a plug & play kit.

Wiring Diagram

X19AllisonIgn.jpg

Last edited:
Hussein... just as Bob said also...

Have you sent all this back to Mark? I would think he should be interested in your findings... hopefully.

Great install BTW... I am curious about your timing though and how this advances or retards. I have a 1500 that pings on 91 octane in the CA heat if static timing is set above 7 degrees with stock being 5. My car runs flawlessly with this advance, in conjunction with a working vacuum and centrifugal advances in a stock dizzy.

Yours is a 1500 right FI car? What was stock static timing 5 or 10 degrees? I thought 5 was stock on this engine as well. Not hard to start???

I had it set at 12º BTDC with the standard electronic ignition. I think stock timing on EFI cars is 10º, definitely not 5º

No pinging on 93, that's all I use in it.

I haven't haven't forwarded the info to Mark. He didn't make any significant changes to the wiring after Bob's detailed install, I don't see it changing now.

Welp... maybe if TWO folks say the same thing...

He won't consider it a "quirk"...

You are correct about the timing... I just don't know about HOW it is advanced other than a centrifugal dizzy advance. I dunno if the 'puter does anything or causes a vacuum to be supplied or if there is even a vacuum assist involved.

Sure wish we had 93 Octane available...

Hussein,

I am sure I can find this if I look, but you are setting timing by manually turning the unit that goes where the dizzy once did right?

Thanks,
Tim

Back