"Dinghy-Towing" a Fiat 500...

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
I've personally never heard that term before... but apparently its common nomenclature for the "motorhome set".

My good friend in Palm Desert just bought a 31 footer and saw this article in a recent publication. He goes on to say that the 500 is gaining in popularity with this crowd as well!

Below are 4 pages and the towbar adapter, as well as the towbar itself could be used for almost any application.

Nah, THIS is dingy towing

1270.JPG

No argument here, Kevin...

That was Shaun Folkerts rig, was it not? (please excuse the misspelling if I got that wrong...)

Then there is this one... with an X as a tow vehicle... I believe the Targa Bar needs to be reinforced though to handle the additional tongue-weight...

HA!

"Dinghy-Towing"

I agree Tony, that is probably a "land yacht" joke among the motor home crowd. :)

I've never heard it called, "dinghy towing" - I've always heard it called "flat towing", and the term seems to be pretty much interchangeable.

Anyway, there ya go...

http://towingworld.com/pdfs/DinghyGuide2011.pdf

Meanwhile, this is awesome....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAKjaUxNW8"]How NOT to Tow - Flat tow disaster in the making - YouTube[/ame]

dinghy towing

is what it's called. I have been doing it for years and that is the term that the motor home crowd uses. I ususlly refur to it as flat towing and that is how I get my X19 to the race track and when on vacation I always tow my Suzuki.

Charlie

I hadn't thought of that...

Large watercraft, or yachts, usually have a dinghy to get ashore or to cruise the harbors.

I can now see how the term is applied to "land yachts" as well.

I just recently wrote to my friend who said they were staying in Long Beach with their "Winnie" and I corrected him by saying he was technically "docked" in Long Beach...

HA!

I also remember one time when my sister and brother-in-law came over and I asked my sis where my brother was. She said he's looking for a space large enough to "dock" the Lincoln...

Same here... but you covered it all well.

I have always called it FLAT TOWING to distinguish it from a trailer or tow-dolly. This is the first time I have heard the term "Dinghy Towing" but it does indeed appear fitting!

I've also seen a few "disasters" being towed like that over the years and I understand in SOME states it's actually legal!

Back