GM Alternator Swap out

sbortoloni

1980 X 1/9
All, does anyone know which alternator to use? i have been looking but cant find the GM part number to buy for the swap out and dont want to get the wrong one.:sigh:

i looked inot it and ended up going with the replacement alternator instead of the GM mod. Advanced auto offers a lifetime warranty and it will be in on Thursday.

that is a very valid route, quick swap, no fitment issues and not too expensive, don't get many amps and more $$ than a more powerful, more robust, more easily found GM one, but a very fast way to get back on the road.

I went that route the first time..

Got their unit, but it died and couldn't get another, so I was left coreless even to get my money back.

Talked to several here and a local mechanic to go the GM route. I used a "78 Camaro w/350 motor" alternator.

I pulled my alternator. It was working before I removed it but was 30 years old and I had to bang on it pretty hard to remove the seized mount and bolt that held it to the block. Had some small pebbles and foil fall out of it as well and decided to seek a low-cost replacement if possible. Considered the GM alternator option but didn't like the bracket options and ended up finding the following option which seemed reasonably priced (to me) for $72:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190554498208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's remanufactured, but looked as-new when I removed it from the box and is form-fit-function compatible with my prior 65a Bosch unit.

i looked inot it and ended up going with the replacement alternator instead of the GM mod. Advanced auto offers a lifetime warranty and it will be in on Thursday.

65amp internally regulated

Sounds like a good upgrade from my 44amp externally regulated original.

Well done!

Cheers,

Rob

I pulled my alternator. It was working before I removed it but was 30 years old and I had to bang on it pretty hard to remove the seized mount and bolt that held it to the block. Had some small pebbles and foil fall out of it as well and decided to seek a low-cost replacement if possible. Considered the GM alternator option but didn't like the bracket options and ended up finding the following option which seemed reasonably priced (to me) for $72:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190554498208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's remanufactured, but looked as-new when I removed it from the box and is form-fit-function compatible with my prior 65a Bosch unit.

Dumb question but did this bolt right in without modifiying anything?

AFAIK

I haven't reinstalled it, but put the replacement side-by-side with the original bosch and all the dimensions, mounting locations, etc. look the same. In fact, the alternator looks like an exact physical copy of the original.

Dumb question but did this bolt right in without modifiying anything?

Did you cover the back of the alternator with anything? I'm thinking of drilling some holes and mounting the original cover back there for aesthetic purposes and to protect the wires and connections from the elements.

Agree with Tony - a good find indeed.

A note on the GM replacement; I have noticed at medium to high RPM, the alternator regulates well and shows a solid 14+ amp charge (at least that is what my gauge in my dash says) however at low RPM it drops well below 12. My 1500 with high compression 1300 head would typically idle at 1500 - 1800 and the gauge read fine, however should the idle drop below 1200 for whatever reason, my gauge would show a very low voltage like I mentioned above and it was obvious with dimmed lights, etc. I really hated it! I might be the exception here, but I think if you have a lower idling engine, something with a stock or less radical cam or maybe a stock flywheel, then your idle should be 1200 or less and I can see this alternator as a poor option. This might have been just my system, wiring etc. so who knows - however, I recall another thread where someone mention similar behavior.

With the latest motor, I went back to a stock alternator that, although lower overall reading, is more consistent and doesn't drop (too much) at a lower idle.

I am eager to see what kind of performance you get with 186-0383 Alternator/Generator.

Thanks for sharing...

Back