PBS STYLE FIAT X1/9 HEADER NEW!

SOLD!

(before to place on ebay if some Xweb member is interested, otherwise I'll let to go next week on evil-bay..)

PBS STYLE FIAT X1/9 HEADER NEW!
NEW - NEVER MOUNTED 1300/1500 SOHC X1/9 APPLICATION

This is a 4-1 long tube unit in which the collector exits under the center of the car between the rear suspension pick-ups.
This item's length is tuned specifically for a 1300, but will fit and provide a performance increase to any 1300 or 1500 engine.
It will show a significant increase in torque over the stock exhaust manifold.

img0453y.jpg

THANK YOU GUYS

Last edited:
Measurements?

Ricardo,

I hate to be a mooch, but is there any possibility you could measure the length of the primaries on this header? Maybe use a piece or string or flexible seamstress measuring tape? I have a book on exhaust design with some formulas for calculating these lengths, but some data from the original PBS part would be great to have.

GLWS!

Thanks,

Mike

Ricardo,

I hate to be a mooch, but is there any possibility you could measure the length of the primaries on this header? Maybe use a piece or string or flexible seamstress measuring tape? I have a book on exhaust design with some formulas for calculating these lengths, but some data from the original PBS part would be great to have.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

measures

Ricardo,

GLWS!

Thanks,

Mike

SOLD THANK YOU GUYS

Last edited:
Scaling the picture, the actual runners are pretty close to 25" (24.89") long from mounting plate to outlet.

An actual measurement would be more accurate than my method of course.

from PBS

PBS sells a four branch, mild steel tubing exhaust header made from 16 ga. tubing. This was developed for racing on the X1/9. It will work with either the 1300cc or 1500cc blocks. Since the header was designed for racing, it terminates in a 2" diameter collector with a three bolt flange. A mating flange is supplied. This can be fitted with a 2" O.D. tailpipe, and a muffler if required. If a muffler is used, it must be adequately supported so it won't break the header due to shock and vibration. The exhaust header is not suitable for use with the air injection, emission control system. Also it will not fit cars which have air conditioning. The header does not have any provision for a Lambda sensor as used on the Bosch fuel injected cars.

How about I trade you your head bolt tool for this header!! :lol:

Just kidding, see ya in a bit. :)

Someone buy this, before I am to tempted to buy more parts for my car, which isn't even running at the moment. :(

Thanks, but...

Thanks for that Ricardo. I was hoping for a measurement of the actual tube length of the primaries though, like the red line here:

5637139191_2d2ec8e1c0_z.jpg

You can lay a piece of string or rope along the center of the tube, then measure the length of it to get a pretty close measurement.

If you can that would be awesome. If not, no biggie. Thanks for the effort!:)

Umm...one thing

I'm all for documenting no longer manufactured parts if a company ceases production. But I seem to recall either the PBS header or the IAP header required a mod either in the overall tube length or the number of termination tubes at the flange to correct something, which I don't remember what that something would be. It may possibly be geared toward optimizing the heading either for full race apps or for street use. Anyone remember reading about this issue?

Hi Mike

I'm tempted to buy this just so I can start making copies!:grin:

To make the best reproduction you need to have one ORIGINAL on your hand, then duplicated! :) also all pipes has different measure and angle.
I made all my reproductions like weatherstrip corners, euroside repeaters, 74' front side lights etc. etc. on that way.
also I made my exhaust ANSA MARMITTE reproduction, I bought an original ANSA for porsche 914 and just follow the measures, after that I selling the original on ebay..

see my webpage www.trazia.com/x19

Is this what you were remembering?

Here is a thread on the various headers. There is a post from Mark about adapting the Vicks/IAP header for a larger diameter output.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1082071904/unlike+the+internet...

I have a Vicks header for my current project. I considered it a good thing that it mates up to the existing Fiat exhaust. Since I am not building a track car, I think it will work just fine. I can always mod it later if I feel the need.

I'm tempted to buy this just so I can start making copies!:grin:

If anyone starts making copies of headers it'd make a lot more sense to copy the Serra header I have. Very, very similar to the PBS header, except that the #1 and #4 tubes are the ones with the tighter radius bends that wind up being the pair closer to the engine (instead of tubes #2 and #3 on the PBS part). That simple change allows fitment on A/C cars. Never understood why PBS didn't do it that way as well. Guess they didn't have access to an A/C car when they built the jig and didn't want to go to the effort of changing it later.

The ultimate design would be a Serra style header, but with a 4>2>1 outlet. Instead of combining the 4 pipes into one collector just Y each pair into two pipes that turn 90 degrees and run to the left side of the exhaust bay, then turn 180 degrees upward (similar to stock) and combine in a single collector that attaches to a short "turbo muffler". At least that's what I plan on doing with mine one of these days.

I'll post the lengths of my primaries one of these days but I suspect they're virtually identical to those of the PBS header because the design is so similar.

Back