Another X lost today :(

roadster27

True Classic
In comparison to everything else going on in the world this isn't a big deal, but a tree took out my X today.

My car has been parked at a neighbor's house for a couple of years. She had extra space, and offered to let me keep the car there. About 5 mos ago she got a project truck from her dad, so she moved my car out behind the carport it had been under. I needed to get it moved, but hadn't gotten around to it. I was waiting for the weather to dry out a bit again before trying to tow it out of it's spot.

Well today we had a huge windstorm in the Eugene/Springfield area. I halfway expected to find a tree or trees down at my house, but we came through pretty much okay. My neighbor called about 30 minutes after I got home to give me the news that tree had fallen on my car.

Here's a link to the photos http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v475/roadster27/Body Parts/Green X19/

I'm sad because I've had this car since I was 16. I had some great plans for restoring it that now will never happen.

Weather's strange. It's now as calm as can be and the sun is shining. My son asked what are the chances of a single tree hitting a single car sitting like mine was. I told him that apparently the answer is 100%.

-Dean

Sorry to hear about the X

Did the windshield brake? If not maybe its not a total loss.

There seem to be a lot of X's up north so I am sure you can find another however it does sound like this is was "your baby" :(

Good luck...

Sorry to see Dean

No chance of recovery? Did it run prior?
Sad to see it go out that way.

Thanks guys.

The targa is caved in, and yes the windshield is smashed.

I had "harvested" the distributor for my 128, but aside from that it should have run with minimal effort. I hadn't tried to start it, and had planned to tow it up to my house. Nature had other plans I guess.

-Dean

Trees...

Sorry to hear that, especially since your car was looking real good.

My best friend is my mechanic's. He had another friend's X/19 in his garage when a storm throw a tree thru his garage roof. And yes, it ended up on my friends X/9. But he was more lucky, needing only a new fender and front trunk hood.

If your's is still running, maybe it could end-up as a dedicated race car...?

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada

Dean... sorry for your loss...

But ya know... it can be fixed.

Of course not from an insurance company viewpoint or for any "disinterested" party... but I have actually seen WORSE restored!

That will be up to you though.

If you had insurance with an agreed upon "total loss value"... that will help and you could probably buy it back for a couple of hundred as salvage... Then with the insurance money and either your time or a bunch more money, put it all back together.

And... then there is your neighbor's homeowner's policy... and you'll probably haveta "sue" her to get your money. If she is "understandable" and realizes this is the only way to get reasonable compensation for your loss, then things between you should be OK. I mean, it was an "act of God" per se', so it should be covered.

It would be NICE if she offered the info to you and made the initial calls also... but then again, you'll haveta weigh all this against what the car is REALLY worth to ya. Whatever you decide will be RIGHT!

Sorry again... looks like it was a great little car.

Hey... ya know Fiatmarko is your neighbor and could possibly give you some insight also...

Lord have mercy...

Dean, condolences from one who understands what it means to own a car for 32 years after buying it brand new. Don't know if you're as kooky as I am about the car I've owned since new for 42 years, but even at 50% kooky level, the loss is felt. 6.7 on the Richter. I'd find comfort in losing to a falling tree (act of God), vs losing to hand of man (idiot driver or thief).

Sorry to hear.

Ouch. That's serious. Sorry your baby got hit. :eek:mg:

After the chainsaws are gone, you'll know better about the damage. If it's limited to the targa and windshield frames, you might be able to fix it, if it has enough sentimental value, which it might. You've always wanted to learn to weld, right?

Got a few trees of my own to trim, er, remove.

Again, sorry for your loss. :hug:

I lost my 2.2 turbo x to a tornado.

the crushed x, looked just about the same. the targa bar can take quite a hit unless it is only on the center. After spending a few months sorting out the mess to see if it was feasible to save, it was not. too much work would have been needed.
hope your x and mine find each other in the great fiat garage in the sky

Odie

Silver lining in every cloud

Roadster or possible race car? Time to go auto crossing or road racing?

Dean,
Sad day mate, but it reminded me of a photo I saw in a Sydney newspaper about 10 years ago. The owner was lucky he wasn't still in it. I was told by a friend a few years later that the car was restored - I thought it would've been a goner...
2010-5220.jpg

My sympathy, Dean

Bad news indeed.
Now, relax, seat back and figure out the best solution possible.
Something will come up.

Back