New Saratoga Top

Gabriele

Low Mileage
here we go again

If the company is already manufacturing tops and had has the materials and equipment, then they could make a top for the X1/9, but they are going to run into the same issues others have run into. Anyone remember the Ovid-top ? I still get at least 1 email a month from someone asking if they can buy one. The issues are going to be safety and cost. in order to be safe for the US, the materials are going to be super expensive,heavy and render the top unubtanium for most buyers. If and only if you can somehow overcome these issues, you still have shipping and importation and federalization issues, which are so expensive its not even funny, thus this cost has to be absorbed yet again into the product. GL if it becomes a reality and an affordable option, count me in. :thumbsup:

The price should be about 600€ but depends of the number of buyers.
However, it's only a preliminary test, when we find 15/20 buyers the top is workable...
sorry for my language...

Sounds like great news Gabriele.

But we have heard it before.

I think your biggest challenge is going to be able to get the water tight sealing correct.

AND a production run on weather stripping, hooks and front latches that were all special made for the Saratoga.

What are your plans for the hardware???

When shipping the tops out on a one by one basis those importation costs & fees are an exaggeration.

re top

actually people it would not be that hard to make, lexan is really strong stuff and can be ordered bent and pretty easy to make your own

not big deal!

actually people it would not be that hard to make, lexan is really strong stuff and can be ordered bent and pretty easy to make your own

61728_1534047983875_1015072292_1545603_2383554_n.jpg

easy!!...

But we have heard it before.

I think your biggest challenge is going to be able to get the water tight sealing correct.

AND a production run on weather stripping, hooks and front latches that were all special made for the Saratoga.

As an owner of a Saratoga top, I can tell you they are not water tight. Not even close. I use the top on cool weekend in the spring and fall when they are not calling for rain.

Good luck with a new top. They are great to enjoy the car when it is a little cool for the top off.

True with the 30 year old shrunken seals...

but you can still eat your cake too :)

I "renewed" my top with thicker weather stripping all around only having to reuse the two 2" think gaskets over the windows.

I cut out some clear acrylic squares to prop up and use under the rear hooks so now when I latch the front the top is really snug fit :thumbsup:

Also redid the entire "chrome" trim with this 'U" channel the curves without distortion here from the UK.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/index.asp?function=SEARCH

Not that I go out in the rain much but still cool to see the rain hitting the top!

As an owner of a Saratoga top, I can tell you they are not water tight. Not even close. I use the top on cool weekend in the spring and fall when they are not calling for rain.

Just to lazy to to make it water tight.

I have not used the Saratoga top as much as I thought I would. I almost never drive with the top on. Last January we did an X1/9 drive in 18 degree temperature and I drove the 1st part with the top off. The heater did not work as well as I hope and I did drive the rest with the top on. Yes the Saratoga top. :thumbsup:

What is the side trim?

What are the left and right rubber trim made off? I have the original Saratoga and the trims are very old and needs restoration. Thanks
Gardie

yeup, that's something I'm going to make. of course, after I finish with the current twin DCNF project. ;)

Last edited:
Back