My "X-tra" project

Brett

True Classic
This has been my dream project, which I have always know would take me years to get through, but certain things lately have made it clear that I need to simplify my life.

Project Includes:
* Nearly perfect bare shell
* Nearly complete parts car (missing lower part of passenger front fender, rusted pretty badly around windshield frame, no engine or trans). Intention was to use this car for entire electric harness, trim parts, etc.
* K20A engine (this is the most powerful of the K20 series)
* 6 speed manual X2M5 transmission, this is also the rare version of this trans that has higher gearing more appropriate for the smaller wheels are cars need.
* Midwest-Bayless “Stage1” K20 conversion kit, includes shifter, engine mounting subframe, axles, etc.
* Ultra rare in the US Eurosport wide body kit
* Lots of extra pieces

Missing Pieces:
* Lots of labor to put it all together
* Engine management ECU (Hondata or similar)
* Flywheel, Clutch and pressure plate (any K20 manual one will work, you can go as race-crazy or stock as you want and can afford)
* K20 compatible instrument cluster (I was hoping to get Bob Brown to build me one like he makes for Matt’s conversions)
* Includes stock suspension but I would replace with Matt’s double-adjustable Konis.
* Need to source wide negative offset wheels and maybe spacers as well (I have lots of notes on this, but figured to execute once the wide body kit is actually on the car so I’d know *exactly* what it needs)

Asking $8500, which is quite a bit less than I've already invested.

-Brett

Last edited:
dependent upon engine miles

a K20 engine-transmission setup can be close to your asking price just by themselves. Add in the MWB kit and you are there.

Photos always help! Good luck with your sale.

Brett,

Sorry to hear this project is skidding. You clearly have more than 50% to get it done so anyone who has the time, skill and TIME can move things along with all this.

I will say however, there are good number of things one will still need. Did you start any metal cutting/shaping on the X to accept the engine yet? That in itself is a time consuming part of the project. Arguably the most tedious. Get that done and everything else feels like gravy...

K20A IS the most powerful. Rare too...

Last edited:
Lowered price...

No, I haven't started any of the work, other than acquiring the major pieces. Dropped the price to $8500...
Engine and trans are supposed to have about 30k miles on them...

Last edited:
Bumping this up, and will separate pieces...

I still haven't started on this project. And now I'm getting really interested in using the shell to do an EV conversion... So:
K20A + X2M5 transmission + Midwest-Bayless “Stage1” K20 conversion kit I'd sell for $6500.

I'd sell the Eurosport Kit for $1000. This is the full wide body kit. I believe there are no more than four in the US. Finished it would look something like this:
IMG_1155.jpg

(all prices plus shipping, or local pickup for free :))

Let me offer condolances too... but ya really need to...

post several clear fotos of each item you are selling.

This is quite a deal sight unseen though... but probably not enough to get any offers without seeing...

Good luck with whatever course you choose.

Last edited:
body kit

not really fond of the rear vents much, but love the front bumper setup.
as both my 74's are flared all ready, and I have moved past the "dallara" look as soon as it was towed away, you should NOT have a problem selling this combo to someone here on the forum!!
mikemo

I still haven't started on this project. And now I'm getting really interested in using the shell to do an EV conversion... So:
K20A + X2M5 transmission + Midwest-Bayless “Stage1” K20 conversion kit I'd sell for $6500.

Are these still available?

I think I've replied to all the PMs. I daily waffle about this.
One the one hand, I have a vision for having three really really great Xs (1- the blue one I already have, 2- using the near perfect shell and pieces I already have to do a complete restoration in near-stock form, almost a mirror of the blue car, 3 - The Eurosport/K20 using the car my son is driving now which has some dents and rust on pieces which the Eurosport kit would replace anyway). I'm convincing myself the EV conversion isn't worth it - cheaper to get a new electric car.
On the other hand, I sometimes get discouraged by not making any progress and feeling financially pinched...
At least both my son and I have driving Xs, and there is no harm in letting all these pieces sit other than the garage space they take up.
For those keeping score, all the pieces are still here.
Thanks,
-Brett

Back