Engine trasplant

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
We have here in Israel a FIAT model called PUNTO. I am not sure it is available in the US too.
The engine there is 176A9000 . (1600 cc)
We are installing this engine in a 1974 X1/9.
The engine is a 1991 model.
We intend to convert it to a turbo, and we need the following:
• A set of head bolts.
• A set of pistons+ rings
• Head gasket
• Header

Any bright ideas...

FiatFactory

Check with FiatFactory (Steve), he is aware of many of the euro models and usually has access to parts. If he doesn't have the parts, he will certainly know what parts you do need. Steve is the man!!! Good luck, sounds like an exciting project.

Herzel... what Willy said...

No Punto's here in the US but all over Europe.

Even so... your best bet is with Steve C. (fiatfactory) as he really knows what will work and what won't. If he can't find or get you the part, he can guide you into finding one in Europe or elsewhere.

Trust me, trust him... otherwise you are in for some unnecessary problems.

Good luck with the transplant... do send us some fotos, or else!

A good starting place

I would have a look at the puntosports.co.uk forum and look at the 8v turbo section lots of information if you search.
As far as i know it's exactly the same block as the punto turbo so all the sensors etc will fit where required but has a 87mm bore that you can get pistons quite easily for by wossner or iapel, you will have to get an oil feed for the turbo I believe, I think you can drill and tap out at the same point as the punto turbo fits.
I've not done any research on this just remember reading post on there from time to time.

Good Luck!

No bright ideas but your chosen path is closer to home.

From my lists it looks like a 1.6 Punto Sporting / Cabrio block. (1581ccm, 88HP, this block is as probably as strong as the GT). Steve probably has a better list, do you have the serial number from the engine?

For my 2 cents ensure the oil gallery tapping is not 'full flow' thru to your turbo into the sump. Your turbo should be water cooled and not relying on high oil flows to keep the cartridge cool. I have found a 2mm sized restriction hole supplies enough oil to the snail for a daily driver without loosing pressure to where it is needed elsewhere.

It is probably 'bad form' to link directly to another forum but I apologies in advance, I believe you need to channel your effort to the puntosports.co.uk forum

Look at this thread below by 'Andy' but the author I understand has moved on elsewhere so asking questions on that old thread my prove a dead end. The folks on here are really helpful but the SOHC engine types found on this forum ( whilst yours is the update of the 128 block ) bear only scant relation to what you are doing. So as 'gunna' posted join the UK site, you will get meaningful answers if you post your questions there. The register page is a bit skew-if but persist, it is a good source of knowledge closer to home for you.

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?66329-Punto-GT-Modifications

Turbo pistons are a must have item if you are going to boost.

Last edited:
Back