Numbered Bertone Cars

Alfa75racer

Tony Musto
I could be mixing this up with another car, but I distinctly my mother's X1/9 having in addition to the signed Bertone plate a numbered plate. Something like xxx/500. This was in the mid 1990's and the car was I believe an early 80's car. My father had repainted it (it was silver and repainted silver) and I remembered he redyed the red interior a darker shade of red. Where their actually numbered X1/9's and if so, what was the significance of it?
I'll scan in and load up a picture of it tonight along with a few other car gems that I found while going family photos.

There were numbered cars at different times. It was primarily a marketing feature, something which has a long history with a variety of marques.

In general it isn't something which will garner much additional value, at least not today. In the years to come it may be of some additional value when these cars become really rare where a special trim/edition is rarer still.

Had they been more than cosmetic packages, generally stripes, special colors or an upgraded interior (the red leather) the differentiation from other X's would have helped but as all cars of a series (74, 75-79, 79-80, 81-83, 83-87 Bertone/Bricklin) were effectively mechanically identical there were never significant differences amongst the cars within its series.

Unfortunately its not like its a Yenko Camaro, Shelby 500 or some other short run, higher performance version of a wildly popular car where the differences were something another X owner would lust over. For us its about the PBS or Abarth parts provenance (or of late the Honda K series upgrades by MWB ) and general condition which will garner a big return, hopefully.

Last edited:
The only year to have the X/500 and to have Mr. Bertone's signature on the glove box plate was the 1982 IN X1/9. This was the 1st time the X1/9 was badged with Bertone nose and rear badges but the sail panel had Fiat on it. All other years had Bertone on the pillar.

Thank you both. The picture of that plaque is exactly how I remembered it. As promised here are a few pictures of my father's cars from when I was kid.

1982 Fiat X1/9
SCAN0033_zps32cc659b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1984 Alfa Romeo Sprint Quadrifoglio
SCAN0032_zps952bfe9d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1959 Fiat 600 (with vw drivetrain)

Ha

Yeah the only time he ever took a picture of any of his cars was when it was time to sell. Maybe superstition? These were all sold in the 90's... Him and my mother up in VT still drive an X1/9 and 124 daily.

I am originally from Vermont, one doesn't often see a Fiat up there very often anymore. A great place to own one for sure, no stop light gran prix and lots of empty roads.

I looked at a white 82 when I lived in Los Angeles it had the badge and the lovely red light district interior.

BTW... back in the late 60's there was a 500 or 600...

FIAT that useta race at Lion's Drag Strip in Long Beach CA.

It was either all Baby-Blue or Blue with a white top and ran a Porsche 912 engine in the rear. He would go up against the baddest Muscle Cars of the day, GTO's, SS396's, Ford 429 Mustangs... and launch so fast that they never could catch him.

Possibly this car here... Lil' Giant Killer:

http://www2.cal-look.com/nostalgia/fiatgasser.html

What a kick... and shame on me for rooting for him! HA!

photo1_zpscb454776.jpg

Here's something even crazier...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-videos/latest/video-big-block-smart-fortwo-drag-racer

I remember when he built this car when I was a kid

He was always building dune buggies on the side and he had this 600 that was basket case he pulled from a barn. Fixed all the rot and had the idea to put the vw drivetrain he built for a buggy back there and made himself the fenders and painted it. I remember he could pop the front end in the air almost effortlessly.

Back