Wheel Paint

tim

Low Mileage
I am preparing to paint my Tron wheels, CD179, and I have been trying to find a paint that matches. After looking at old post it seems that Duplicolor wheel paint is the best choice. I believe I read that Duplicolor wheel paint is the best paint and also that Duplicolor Radiant Silver Metallic is the color that matches. But it appears that Radiant Silver Metallic is not a Wheel Paint.

I am just wondering, does it matter or should I go with specific wheel paint even if it doesn’t quite match?

Thanks,
Tim

I used the wheel paint, silver ,don't remember there being more than one silver, match? Looks good to me. You're the only one you have to please, unless your married......

Personal choice...

I don't know if the "wheel paint" is any different from the "paint" but I've used the Duplicolor wheel paint with success.

The color choice is up to you.

Ok

I guess I just wondered if Wheel Paint would make much difference than Paint. Also I was wondering how have you guys prepped your wheels for painting before?

How I did it...

I used a scotch brite pad and simple green to wash/wet sand, followed by compressed air and drying. Then careful masking (when in one case the tires were still mounted) and careful painting. In this case I carefully marked and removed the stick-on weights to reinstall after painting.

I used the Duplicolor silver and clear from NAPA. It dries surprisingly fast and so far holds up well.

Eastwood.

Eastwood 'warm silver' is what they call it I believe. Painted all five in it. In the end, they looked too good to actually use.

Ok

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to check both of these paints out. I can't wait to get some fresh paint on these old wheels!:)

Last edited:
Hey Tim... the Duplicolor WHEEL PAINTS very closely...

match the popular colors, sheen's and brilliance, or lack of... many of TODAY'S popular wheels.

I once used a popular regular flat silver Duplicolor paint to touch up a STOCK Honda Hubcap. I couldn't tell where I started and stopped. I was gonna paint the entire cap and then the other 3 as well. Didn't need to!

Eastwood sells many fine products as well, many of which cannot be found elsewhere very easily. They also charge premium prices for many paints that can be found for much mess money.

my 2 pennies

I used duplicolor silver and clear wheel paint on some CD91's and it lasted very well. My only gripe was the silver wasn't as bright as original.

The Wheel Guy

I've tried the Duplicolor wheel paint, it looks OK if one of their three shades of silver match what you want. But I have never been able to, or have never seen anyone else able to, apply their clear coat over their paint and have it turn out good.

For a nice modern slick glossy shine, for durability, and ease of cleaning, I think you want to clear coat wheels these days.

If you have the time......before you refinish them yourself, check around at local tire shops and car dealers to see when the "wheel guy" comes by on his rounds. Try to meet and talk to the guy, have a wheel handy for him to look at, and ask for his best cash price. I'll bet the guy will be happy to do it on the side (CASH is KING), and your results will be well worth the cost.

I agree, hard to do spray and clear DIY but this was easy and results were really nice. Not really a hyper gloss mirror finish, but nice and easy to do. I think the products are the key here, they work well.

Duplicolor paints have hit and miss reviews over the years but their wheel paint seems to get reasonably solid good reviews.

That said, nothing will ever beat a quality urethane-epoxy primer, followed by a urethane paint and clear system with hardener. It is more expensive and time consuming and requires more equipment, but once you paint with a real spray gun (even a cheap HVLP one) you will in general not want to use rattle-can again. Self etching primer also works well on aluminum :)

With all the work involved and with all the time spent living with it after, maybe spending $50 a wheel vs/ $10 a wheel is worth it? not judging, just advising.

Most NAPA's have a paint shop in them and they can generally advise you on what system is best. If you go with auto-paint my only advise is to pick a brand then a system, stay within that system, get at least mid-grade paint, and stay within all the instructions carefully.

Back