Need Some Advice

ferrariman88

I'm looking to sell my X1/9 but don't know how much to ask for it. I'm very sad about it as it was my first car and she is my baby, during the past 7 years I've had it we've made many great memories, however life happens (and so does college tuition) and finances require me to sell it. What I don't know is exactly how much to ask for it. We got it from a Ford dealer for $3200 in 2005, since then we've fixed several mechanical and electrical problems as they arose but otherwise the car is original. Here are some stats:

1982 Fiat X1/9
1500CC Fuel Injected, Manual Transmission
Blue Ext. on Blue Int.
No A/C, manual windows/locks
All original with complete records and tool kit.
Fires up on first try, drives great

Repairs made:
Fuel Pump
Replaced a burnt out electrical relay
New original style struts
New Tires
New Ignition (Completed last summer)
New Battery in January

The bad:
Paint is oxidized in areas but still in tact (expected for a 31 year old vehicle)
There is a tear in the drivers corner of the front spoiler
Like most 80's Fiats, Rust exists but it has been garage kept and is minimal.
Drivers side window goes down but sometimes needs convincing.
Fuel Gauge doesn't work.
The useful end of the heater switch broke off
Glove box doesn't always stay shut.

I'm hoping to get it to a good home were she won't be modded and will be truly restored and not parted out or something awful.

So what do you guys think I should ask for it? Thanks for your input.

Looks nice

Too bad you have to sell it. It looks nice.

It's difficult to determine value without seeing it. How many miles does it have?
The interior looks nice. It seem to be in good condition. That's good because it's not black, that makes finding replacement items difficult.

The problems you note are not unusual, and can be fixed for not much cash. But, unless you fix them, don't expect to get top $.

The rust will make a huge difference; you need to be more specific - read pics. Same for the oxidized paint.
Has it been repainted?
Is the carpet original and in good condition?
Does it smoke/use oil/overheat?
Does it track straight/stop straight without any issues?
Does the trans grind going into 3rd/reverse?
Does it smell bad/leak rain water into the interior?

You might have trouble getting the $3,200 that you paid for it back. Without any more info I would guess you'll be able to get between $1,500 and $2,500. All depends.

Where are you in Illinois?

BTW - Except for the blue interior my first racecar looked just like your car.

Can't believe I forgot mileage. 73,xxx miles. I believe in it's history (which we have) it said there was a fender bender and the front was resprayed. 3rd Gear doesn't have any problems, reverse does take convincing at times but usually doesn't have problems, no grinding though. A little smokey if its been sitting a while at first but it goes away. It doesn't have too much trouble overheating, fan works pretty well. It never gets up 2/3 on the heat gauge, once the fan kicks on it cools right down. Oxidation is on the trunk and B-pillars. Rust is in usual places, some in the rear trunk in the wells, a little here and there otherwise. But there really isn't that much. I've been very picky about where we store it (much to my family's annoyance).

Also, the car is in Normal, Il with my parents. I'm in Chicago currently but I can ask my Dad take care of any business

Hmm that's unusual

X1/9s are typically considered far from normal. ;)

Good luck with the sale. My advice is to advertise at the price you would love to get for the car and then let someone talk you down to the price you can live with.

I will say this, it is very BLUE. I had an 1980 in the exterior color, but had the orangish/brownish interior.

You have things going for you:

1. Right time of year to sell a top-off car.

2. The interior "defects" can be fixed for not much money. The parts for the heater lever and the window issue are readily available from fiatplus.com and Midwest-Bayless.com

3. The fuel gage problem is likely to be a problem with the sending unit. If so, the fix is to scrounge up a good used one, or to use a new fuel sending unit assy ($125) from a carbureted car and block off the integrated fuel pickup that the carbureted sending unit has.

4. The annual FIAT Freakout (national convention of FIAT enthusiasts) is in Chicago this year. May drum up more interest if you offer the car on Chicago Craigs List.

A knowledgeable potential X1/9 buyer will note that your car is in a condition (A) that is the less desirable of the two you generally see with an X1/9:
Condition A: Good or better mechanicals but less than good body/paint/rust.
Condition B: Good or better body/paint/rust but less than good mechanicals.

Not sure there is much you can do about the body/paint/rust that would be cost effective if the intent is to sell the car.

What most buyers are going to do is discount their offering price consistent with how they plan to use the car.

I think it being a blue on blue '82 gives you an edge in the reseale department.

IMO, a '82 is a positive milestone year for an X1/9 ( fuel injection, last year as a "Fiat"), and the color your car is makes it a spot on candidate for someone to restore.

stunning combination! :thumbsup:

Back