Midwest-Bayless Presents - Another K20 Conversion

We think this one tops them all. We worked extremely hard over the winter to complete this conversion, and believe we have achieved the best example yet of the old meeting the new.

Exceptional reliability and modern day performance of a Honda K20 driveline, within the confines of the iconic Ferrari 206/246 Dino.

I’ll let the photos speak for themselves.

If you have a Ferrari Dino and want to get rid of that unreliable and expensive to maintain motor, give us a call.

DINO-a.jpg

DINO-b.jpg

DINO-c.jpg

DIY Kits and polished plastic expansion tanks coming soon.

-M

wow :hypno:

I have to say that you have my respect in great craftmanship.

Great work. I wish I had a Dino

Isn't The Owner Taking a Big Risk...

....with the perceived market value of the car?

Putting aside for the moment the advantages of such a conversion, and the debate about whether an owner of a significant collector car should or should not personalize/customize/molest [which word you choose is a matter of opinion] such car.....

Unless 101% of the work done to execute the conversion is reversible to the point of being undetectable if reversed, I would have to think that such a conversion would reduce the market value of the car to basket case/parts car level.

Now before people start flaming, I am IN NO WAY commenting on the quality of the work that was done by MWB...we all know that Matt & Crew do a great job, and even if we did want to scrutinize, you can't see much detail of anything in the posted pix, so that's not what I'm doing or where I'm going.

I'm just saying that from what I understand of the Ferrari owner/collector mentality, their conventional wisdom would hold that a Ferrari with a Honda engine can no longer be valued as a car but just a collection of parts.

Nice Matt

Did Jonathan work on this one too? This is pretty amazing. I make several assumptions here: everything was done custom and the X1/9 Phase 1 kit/frame etc had to be completely modified and re-done to make it work? Also in the engine bay it seems the vast majority of the weight looks to be on the passenger side. How did it actually come out? I know on my X you did the weight was very balanced L-R and front to back.

I agree with Dan's point about resale value, but again that only comes to be important if the owner intends to sell it. I don't think I would :) This must be the only Dino in the world with a K20...worthy of a magazine article methinks.

Finally, not sure if you are doing one of your famous 0-100 videos, but if the owner allows I'd love to see a Dino video 0-100, and I bet others would too.

The Dino is an absolutely beautiful car. Now..."reliable" too.

Dan, you are probably right on the percieved value...

....with the perceived market value of the car?

Putting aside for the moment the advantages of such a conversion, and the debate about whether an owner of a significant collector car should or should not personalize/customize/molest [which word you choose is a matter of opinion] such car.....

Unless 101% of the work done to execute the conversion is reversible to the point of being undetectable if reversed, I would have to think that such a conversion would reduce the market value of the car to basket case/parts car level.

Now before people start flaming, I am IN NO WAY commenting on the quality of the work that was done by MWB...we all know that Matt & Crew do a great job, and even if we did want to scrutinize, you can't see much detail of anything in the posted pix, so that's not what I'm doing or where I'm going.

I'm just saying that from what I understand of the Ferrari owner/collector mentality, their conventional wisdom would hold that a Ferrari with a Honda engine can no longer be valued as a car but just a collection of parts.

Ferrari people tend to be purists, this owner is obviously not. But the 246 is a very cool looking car and if I had one that needed engine work, I wouldn't hesitate with a drivetrain swap. If I intended to keep the car for the rest of my life, I wouldn't really give a hoot about market value. My bet is that this is the owners mindset also.

Pete

The whole post is April Fools...

If you have a Ferrari Dino and want to get rid of that unreliable and expensive to maintain motor, give us a call.

...I would never do this to a Ferrari, even if someone was paying me to...!!

And I think any Ferrari owner who would, should be burned at the stake. IMHO.

Was just having fun with photoshop last night...

-M

Very convincing...

I think it's real and Matt's just covering up the truth! Ha! :hammer:

I hate you Matt

got me big time.... :)

circle-of-trust-12.jpg

Of course it is a testament to your shop's skill that I (we) believed you could pull it off :)

Last edited:
A 2:30 AM post. Photoshopping in the wee hours of the night. You're a card carrying jokester of international caliber. I like it!

I was thinking "There's a Ferrari V6 and g'box...

...lying around waiting for someone to build a Stratos replica....."

Matt, you utter b:censored:d

I wonder who will get that quote. :p

Cheers,

Rob

Back