Favorite drives

WYOX19

True Classic
In your area.
The Queen gets around and has been coast to coast twice. In NW Wyoming I'm blessed with some great roads for exercising the Queen.:)
First, our favorite drives are through the national parks and Jeanine, Annie and I enjoy the circuit within Yellowstone and then south along the Grand Teton's. The parks are best done during the off season, otherwise you could be looking at the back of a motor home for mile upon mile.
Another good one is US 14 from Greybull to Burgess Junction and then to Powell via US14 Alt., returning home via US 310. US 14A is not for trailers and there are warning signs on both entrances.
When we travel east out of WY we usually take US 16 from Worland to Buffalo. US 16 goes through some very diverse country including red rock cliffs and timbered mountains. In October we are going to drive on US 1 in CA. Do you have a favorite drive in your area?

On the mid Atlantic area there are great roads. Skyline drive through Virginia is great if you go on a weekday.

The best is the tail of the dragon in the smokey mountains. To busy of weekends with motorcycles.

Local is me is any of drives I have set up for DCFiats in Western Maryland. The roads are curvy with a lot of elevation changes.

The very best is a FATT at Summit point raceway or VIR. Here you can go as fast as you want and not worry about that BIG ticket you can get on roads.

In Washington:

State Route 2 over the Cascades
Highway 97 over Blewitt Pass
a 'Blue road' between Gold Bar and Index
Most any part of the pacific coast highway

New England back roads have been the most-utilized and favorite options for me. Twisty, smooth, asphalt and 40mph-ish speed limits.
The drive from my house to Bob's is also a nice one, and Bob would probably tell you I don't use it enough ;-)

Looking forward to hitting the New England coastline this Spring/Summer/Fall. Lots of twisties and beautiful scenery. Also hoping to hit some of the mountain passes in NH & VT.

I'm not a fan of highway drives in the X. Loud/straight and not so exciting.

There are some obvious ones in SoCal but in the SF Bay Area skyline highway 35 is awesome not just that is a fun and beautiful with redwoods all around, but there are many smaller connector roads that lead to highway 1 on the coast. The last fiat America tour was to pescadero and I was introduced to even more fun and windy little roads.

East coast I am not too familiar with many, but when I live in Virginia I used to drive blue ridge a lot. Very beautiful.

Anytime my car starts and gets me home again...

is a GREAT DRIVE! HA!

But there is simply nothing like a group of open sports cars zinging along the coast (PCH or Highway 1) from Morro Bay to Monterey and beyond... clicking through the gears and revving almost in HARMONY... with the ocean on one side and sweet sounds echoing off the Redwoods on the other.

We live in a beautiful and great country.

I think most parts of the country.......and forgive me for those in west Texas......have drive routes that keep that $hit eatin' smile on our faces. We have beauty, twisties, or both in many areas. Too bad the majority of the population can't enjoy what we experience.

Mike

Just Drive

ANYWHERE between Yosemite and Grass Valley on SR-49. Or, Hwy's 50, 88, or 89 to/from Tahoe.

BTW, offer still stands...

I will be happy to organize a late spring drive in my neck of the woods, complete with fuel, food and view stops. BEST roads on the planet. We can jump-off from my place in Placerville.

Just need some feedback.

There are soo many good roads out my neck of the woods... Hwy 74 from San Juan Capistrano to Palm Desert - great views, elevation grades, and twisty turnies for hours.
San Diego S-7 off of Hwy 76 (Nate Harrison Grade to Mt. Palomar) is a real treat.
Closer to home is Sandia creek and DeLuz Rd, which cut thru the hills behind Camp Pendleton between Temecula and Fallbrook. All the scenic hills, tight turns, and crazy grades you can handle :)

New England back roads have been the most-utilized and favorite options for me. Twisty, smooth, asphalt and 40mph-ish speed limits.
The drive from my house to Bob's is also a nice one, and Bob would probably tell you I don't use it enough ;-)

We are indeed blessed with a big and beautiful country...In my neck of the woods, I can travel north to NH and/or Maine for some great back roads in either mountains or coastline (avoiding weekends though). Or head west to the Berkshires for a concert weekend, or south to the cape (except in summer) for a nice drive. I do not have a favorite, too many options to explore.

Ortega Hwy. was no sweat......just a lot of sweat.

We planned that event about 2 months ahead of time and it just so happened that the U.S. experienced the hottest summer in history. It was only about 115 deg. in Lake Elsinore when we started the drive and ended up at that great park in Dana Point for the BBQ. I don't think anyone had any overheating issues despite the temperature.

Rob, if you have any ideas for a good group drive down your way, email them to me and we can discuss on the phone also. I don't know all the good routes and I'm always looking for ideas. Let's just do it when it isn't too hot.

Mike

Ok sounds like a deal. How about a palms to pines to vines drive?
Old town temecula to palomar mountain to doffo winery in wine country?
Doffo is the fiatsti choice of wineries since the owner is in love with old fiats.

Rob

The Appalachian Mountain Range

Most anywhere along the Appalachia range will garner great drives.

Some of my favorites are in Vermont where I grew up but have enjoyed some amazing roads in Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Not so much in Michigan...

My trips

I did some fabulous trips to state parks (and through them) in the Pasco County area of Florida. Now I really like Route 6a from Sandwich, Ma to Provincetown, great road, more here: http://capecodroute6a.com/wp/

I went to college in Center Harbor NH, and love driving around the Lakes Region. Once my X is back, and that appears to be imminent, I'm going up to my old college site, and may even start looking in earnest for some land.

The Kancamagus is pretty sweet too, maybe we New England guys could plan a road trip through and do a BBQ along the way this spring? http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

I'm hoping to do the Tail of the Dragon sometime in the next year, been something I've wanted to do for years, and now may finally have a car I'm comfortable doing the road trip in.

My ultimate trip is this one, but not in the US: would be really fun to do it in a Fiat 500 Abarth cabrio :)

http://www.ireland.com/en-us/wild-atlantic-way?gclid=CIv8xenOsr0CFYyhOgodz34Alw

Last edited:
Since this is an X1/9 site, I'll tell my favorite X1/9 road in the NE.

I would love to take a weekend and head from NJ to Vermont and take Hwy 100 from the bottom to the top of VT, staying in Stowe for the night.

STOP!

All this talk about beautiful drives is making me restless. I never made it into the New Hampshire area but I have covered most all of California and a bit of the other places. There are a couple of places around here that would give some of the best a run for their money. In the Ozarks most of the roads follow the ridges of the mountains so there are very few straightaways. One problem though is tourists. Your fun can be spoiled when you get behind someone with Kansas plates going up hill with their foot on the brake. There is one spot close to me that I like because of the lack of traffic. Some years ago the state started to build a road between two counties. They ran out of funds or something so now there is a ten mile stretch of lazy turns that is hardly used. Getting to it is an adventure in it's self.

You just gotta see the NE in the early fall...

The colors are unimaginable... and then after 15 minutes you can't see the forest for the trees!

HA!

My wife and I spent a week up in Nashua and had trouble finding anything as the trees hid the signs as well as the structures like gas stations and hotels that we were trying to find. At the end of the week all the leaves had dropped... and now there were bare sticks standing everywhere. Remarkable... but now we could see where we wanted to go!

Back