Electric X

I like it!

Too bad its so far away from me. For the price, I'd LOVE to give it a go. I am really into fuel efficiency, and really, at that price, even if you can't get it running, the bits on it are worth it. Heck, I'd be happy with those seats and door cards if nothing else, but seriously this looks like a fun little X...
Has WA title, too bad its not still on this side of the country...

While Ive never been a fan of those wheels on a LANCIA I must admit they look really nice on an X and on a 128 as I've seen some of Courtney Waters pics with them...

HMMM, Splitpeas tires are a bit old, maybe when the time comes to upgrade...

interesting, you'd think it would weigh more, I know the engine is gone but all those batteries, don't know. 20 mile range is silly useless though, in the winter that might be 6 miles. Yeah, that's not really worth the effort is it?

Hmmm I'm 8 miles from work.... Tempting

There is a hybrid parking section in front at my office:hypno:

Hmmm I'm 8 miles from work.... Tempting

There is a hybrid parking section in front at my office:hypno:

There ya go! Pefect commuter (for you anyway!)
Go for it.
I've often thought about an electric X, if the range were closer to 100 miles it would make more sense for me.

I converted my car in 1999. I drive it just about every day an can get 30 miles to the charge but very seldom need it. I take packages to the post office and my daily drive is about nine miles round trip. On particularly nice days and the tourists aren't to plentiful I take the long way round on a twisty back road which is about 20 miles. Electric motors instantly give it all from zero rpm so there is no lag coming out of the turns. The car corners like an X except it is quiet and quick.

Now for the hard part... If I were to buy something like this one. I would have to beg Bob Brown to go threw it. I would have to ship it to him with cases of (insert things Bob likes here) and then ship it to California and then figure out how to register the darn thing.:)

Now for the hard part... If I were to buy something like this one. I would have to beg Bob Brown to go threw it. I would have to ship it to him with cases of (insert things Bob likes here) and then ship it to California and then figure out how to register the darn thing.:)
Unless you are a devout do it yourselfer I do not recommend an electric conversion. While my EV is relatively maintenance free ie; no oil changes or tune ups there are the batteries to contend with. With deep cycle lead acid batteries you have to check the water and keep the tops clean. With Lithium you have to balance the cells and monitor the charging a little closer. The car you guys are looking at has ten 12 volt flooded batteries at about 70 pounds each. It is my experience that flooded lead acid 12volt batteries don't give much more than 20 miles on a good day nor do they last very long. The motor looks like a netgain warp 9 or 11 with what looks like a Curtis controller. The wiring looks kind of sloppy. The price is good as a new motor cost fifteen to two thousand dollars the controller is about fourteen hundred and the charger is around eleven hundred. The charger is a Zivan and if it needs any repair it will have to be sent to Sacramento Calif. and will probably cost close to four hundred. Like I said unless you are a DIY'er and like to tinker do not do an electric conversion. If you want an EV but not the work there are some reliable electrics coming on the market that will do better.

If I lived in ARKANSAS... and had experience...

I think I'd snap this up in a minute!

HA!

Looks like a great project for anyone that is interested... with a great starting price.

I think I'd snap this up in a minute!

HA!

Looks like a great project for anyone that is interested... with a great starting price.
Well I am still struggling with the POS I just got in Missouri. My wife is tolerant to a point but if I told her I was going to Georgia for another X19 I might as well take up residency there because I am sure all the locks would be changed if I tried to come back.

Oh my, I thought I was on a car forum. I must have accidentally linked into the golf cart forum.
Ray:mallet:

HAHAHAHA... I remember my wife saying...

when she was pregnant again soon after giving birth to our first son... "Well, if one baby takes up 100% of your time, two can't take up any more..."

(But it can make that time a lot more miserable! God bless her!)

Hey Ray... Have ya ever been in or driven a Tesla?

If I had the energy and found a good X1/9 chassis that had been stripped of its engine and the like... I would be really tempted to try playing with an electric motor and the latest in LIGHT battery technology.

Check out John's Datsun...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369h-SEBXd8"]WORLDS FASTEST street legal ELECTRIC CAR - YouTube[/ame]

Outside of the political and environmental stuff... this car has turned 110 in 11.55 seconds in the quarter... I have no idea of the range on the street though. Down to 1900 pounds overall and an estimated 400 ponies. The Lithium/Ion batteries are the key.

Alas, I do love the Soul of my Fiat and the tone it makes... but I am not so old I don't appreciate the newer technologies as well.

Oh my, I thought I was on a car forum. I must have accidentally linked into the golf cart forum.
Ray:mallet:
Ray, These are not your dad's golf carts we are talking about. I have no qualms about burning fossil fuel and I am not pooing gas powered Fiats. I enjoy the sound of an X19 when it is being wrung out at seven or eight grand but I have also come to get a kick out of the ZZZTT sound of zero to sixty in just under eight seconds.(7:56sec.) I am still running lead so I have gained 300 pounds but cut a good two seconds of the stock ICE's 0-60 time. When I came on this forum I planned not to go on about electrics but seeing as how it was brought up.... I have always liked Fiats for some reason and now I have two of my favorites. An X19 and an electric.

Tesla-Fisker-Golf Cart

Not that I dis-agree with any of you on the technology or instant torque factor. The new F1 cars use an electric motor to get them up to speed quickly then kick over to gas. Both Tesla and Fiskers are beautiful cars to look at. Fisker is being sold to a Chinese outfit now and Tesla (poorly named because Nikola promoted AC over DC) is making some interesting progress. I have seen both, not driven them but have seen them running and speeding out of shows. No sound, just tire noise. That alone gives me a sense that the cars have no soul. The sound and vibration of a real engine gives me a sense of the road and being one with the car. Does it have advantages? Well some but don't try to sell me on fuel economy. Electricity does not fall from the sky free. Everyone is trying to make it seem like there are no emissions and there is not - from the car. Politicians are already trying to figure out how to tax these so they do not loose gas tax revenue. No, not for me. Companies could make the safest car in the world that could survive even speedy crashes if we did not care what our cars looked like. I plan on having fun burning gas in my X this year. The only reason to have the X is for fun otherwise I could drive a golf cart.

What exactly is the soul of a car? The sound? Smooth ride or cornering ability? I have had some nice builds over the years that I really liked but never thought of them as being alive or having a soul. The only soul that went into them was my sweat and skinned knuckles. Unless you own My Mother The Car* it is just a hunk of tin. While driving I have gotten a satisfaction out of envisioning in my mind all the parts of the ICE I put together going round and up and down in unison while making a nice exhaust sound and to be honest trying to visualize the electrons bumping down the copper cables while the single moving part quietly spins seams kind of boring in comparison but it is still fun to drive. As far as saving energy or money on fuel goes there is a bit but to me that is not what it is about. The fact that an electric car is 50% cleaner than a new gas powered car even when the electricity comes from a coal fired generating station is not my reason for having an EV. Those were two motivations when I started out but after getting the car on the road and feeling the performance nothing else mattered. I have said this in another post and will say again, If you have a nice running X19 don't mess with it. X's are sweet little cars. Any of you that have driven Fiats for any amount of time have probably run into some JERK that starts ragging on fiats. You just can not get across to them what it is all about. Kind of frustrating. Huh? Now build an electric Fiat and see what kind of flack you get. * For those of you that are under fifty y/o My Mother The Car was a TV show about a guy's mother that died and her mind/soul was trapped in an old car he owned.

Back