Fiat X1/9 1982 restoration/race build

No,these are put on the engine without machining. The rings cut into the head.

After removal,the head needs to be milled or welded/milled.

Really! That is cool.

Thanks again for sharing all of this information! I really appreciate it!

Well, well, well!

That's about 112 mph in a quarter mile... or do you have some other measurement?

I see SAFETY is not necessarily a requirement in your land... with the return road, spectators, lack of lighting and helmets... but sure looks like the grassroots era here in the US back in the 50's!

Congrats BTW in any case. Sure would like to see the mods and details of your plans for the 11's.

Hi,

the issue is,that this is still an airport in use,on the race day we saw some planes and private jets landing and take off on the other end of the track (wich is around 3km long!),so it is not allowed to place concrete blocks to keep the cars "running straigth".

Otherwise,we need to wait till the cars from previous run came back to aroung 50-100m from the start line.

Helmets and fireproof clothings are required in the pro class,also roll bar for cars wich run under 11s.

Yes,spectators are a bit cloose,i personally try to stay near the start line.
We had luckily no injuries in the past 10 years i can remember,and saw only 2-3 "drifts" caused by tire defect.

I think its safer than race on the streets.

For high 11's there is nothing to do,i need a bit more traction,to get the 1.7 60 feet wich i had last year. Now i could reach 1.85 on concrete without the glue,this was 12.06. I think with 1.7s this would be 11.8-11.9 already. I want to get rid off of the stock punto GT cam and intake plenum with the silly 42mm throttle valve.:mallet:

Loving it

I love this thread I can fully appreciate all the hard work involved I've been working on my 1984 for a year and that's just the welding,
I would love to know what radiator your using as my car is going to be Punto gt powered and the radiator I have is only very marginally larger core than the standard although will be twin fans (i'm only aiming for 200hp).

Hi,

i let someone make a full aluminium radiator,wich is sligthly thicker than the original one. Althrough i have only one fan currently,i need to add one more.

I think the water flow is more an issue than radiator size. At idle,after a run,the cooling fan cools off the radiator,but the engine is still hot,i need to increase the idle speed to 1500,then is starts to cool down the engine rapidly.

Dont know,if this is the same for all X. Mine has a pump wich looks new,but dont know exactly. Maybe the aftermarket pump has a different water gear,wich is not effective enough at low engine speeds.

I read somewhere on this forum about the water pumps can have too much space around them so can be inefficient, there was also a way too tighten up the tolerances to improve the flow, worth a quick search.
Have you tried your brake upgrade on standard 13" rims I'm assuming they wont fit but wouldn't mind knowing as I want to keep 13" rims for now and thinking of ways to upgrade brakes.

Hi,

if you want to keep 13" rims,you need to use the brakes from the Uno turbo (240mm front,220 rear).

The Punto GT brakes are for 14" in a minimum (256 in front, 240 rear)

That's what I suspected I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay for Uno turbo setup but but missed out a while ago I forgot about a set they didn't sell was resisted and went for crazy money I'm still kicking myself about that!!!
Thanks for the confirmation and hope you have an excellent season racing.

Hi guys,

we had here a race on 04.13 again. Finally,my X is 11s car! The traction now on glue was excellent,i could do a 11.8 and two 11.9s runs,with 1.629-1.67s 60 feet! Incredible. There is so much more in the car,i cannot imagine the results till the year end!

Speed increased to 182-183kmh (~114 mph),with 1.5 bar overboost,and 1.3-1.4 constant boost.

Run against a Corvette 5.7L (check the inside mirror):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzWEazdGKE&feature=youtu.be

Final run against a 1.6 turbo Honda Civic,with miss-shifted 4th gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8DlMEXeUk

Some crazy accelleration (11.9s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6_FDs-Adw&feature=share

Crazy accel. inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2gr_9Ivkhs

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... Very good considering all!

I dunno what you plan on doing to go faster... but I had a few thoughts after watching the videos a few times...

It would appear that you are going into forth with about 2 seconds left in the run. A quick 1-2, then 3 and a long stretch until 4th. I am unsure of the gearing you are using as well as your final gearing, but before playing around with expensive gear changes... Why not try some drastic tire changes?

I think most would say to go to a lower (higher numerically) final drive so that you can get into 4th sooner for more top-end speed as well as more leverage to get it all moving in 1st and 2nd. In theory, this just might be the ticket... and you can partially imitate this by experimenting with a smaller diameter tire.

Another school of thought... because you seem to launch fairly well with the gearing you have, would be to go to a taller tire and never shift out of 3rd!

Just some ideas... I enjoyed the videos... be safe!

Hi,

the gearbox gearing was selected to do all runs in 3rd gear,wich was just enough for last year. I can do about 72 in 1st, 126 in 2nd and ~178 in 3rd gear. Now the car is faster than i ever dreamed,so i have to use 4th gear as well.

Power increase plans are: swap Punto GT1 camshaft to a Piper ultimate road (on the way,should arrive in a few days) and custom intake plenum with 60mm throttle valve (currently it is a stock GT plenum with 42mm throttle).

After this modification,i can gain boost as well,i assume another 50 HP should be added. Then i can see,if the current 4th gear is too long or not. With the 1-2 gear i am very pleasured,so i wont touch the final drive,3-4 could be swapped. I need to check,what is left from the other gearbox. Actually,this was built by me from a G60 gasoline and TDI gearbox.

Thank you for the advice!

You're welcome... but I'm not giving ADVICE here...

just some SUGGESTIONS!

You are the expert, I just have THEORY to share.

I see we basically agree though that something needs to be done at the far end of the course. Keep us posted!

Hi,

this is my gearing and speed in kmh now at 7800 soft rev limit,:
1st 3,3 71,11462451
2nd 1,944 120,71927 4594.9 rpm
3rd 1,308 179,4176306 5248 rpm
4th 0,971 241,6871894 5790 rpm
5th 0,795 295,192781 6386 rpm
final 3,45

Also you see where the rev falls back after ****. Max torque is around 4500-5000 imho.

I hope with more power,i dont need to touch the gears.My goal is to reach 200kmh at the finish line,wHich would be 6500 rpm in 4th.

Well... if I read that right...

4th and 5th gears are actually overdrives... which are kind of unheard of in Drag Racing.

As you said though... if making more power is the easiest thing for you to do, then do it and see what happens.

I was just suggesting initially that tire size changes might be your next easiest and cheapest way to achieve the same thing.

You are certainly more into the specs than I gave you credit for... Keep up the good work!

Hi guys,

the piper ultimate road cam arrived finally.I have installed it,but the car felt slow,low rpm torque disappeared. Checked the cam timing data,it turned out,that the dinamyc compression ratio falled from 8.4 to 6.9.

Played a bit with the vernier a few days,some torque could be added to the low rpm area.

Yesterday i broke my current record,the best ET was 11.573*187.33kmh,which is about 117 mph. Boost was the same than before. I cant wait till the big throttle is installed and some more boost is gained. :king:

Here is the youtube video.Unfortunately the time is not visible,i will take a photo from the timeslip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgJsXbyjHWc"]X1/9 1.6T drag, KKL, 2014-may-17 - YouTube[/ame]

Back