Getting exxie ready for the spring and summer...

Quantumleap

Rich Banks
Still having headlight issues, got a better switch, brown wire mod etc. is holding up fine, but I can't figure out why only the high beams work and no low beams *arrrgh*, checked fuses, connections, no problem...hellp! They worked fine last year... Want to take my beauty to work in the morning on the weekends. Cheers and hope everyone is doing well :)

We had one day of Spring last week... I think...

Its Summertime now...

So look Rich... You make NO mention of the Headlight Relay Mod (HRM) or a Bob Brown harness. (It still needs to be in working condition to use his harness...)

I believe your late model has ONE relay for the high beams only... which is activated by the column switch. When the switch is in the LOW beam position, power to the relay should be OFF and the "normally closed" contacts should be supplying power to the low beams. When switched to HIGH beams, the relay should OPERATE and the "normally open" contacts should close and supply power to the high beams.

Your problem could possibly be the relay, the column switch, or wiring in-between. I think listening/feeling the relay click and possibly replacing it would be the first and easiest place to start.

Let us know what happens and we can dig deeper if the relay is not the issue...

...Not wishing to hi-jack this thread(but I guess I am!!)
When I turn my lights on, both flip up, but when I turn them off, the left one stays up!!...Also, the right one flips up and down, occasionally...Any Ideas?? Sorry for the intrusion:dunce:

Manic

Lol it's ok...I guess I'll need to do that , Tony, to listen for the relay, I checked the fuses, low and high beams, all good and unbroken, harness seems to be all in good order, light pods go up and down on cue, stalk works like she should, just...no low beams. Ahh we'll, more jiggling wires and poking around lol

YES! Grounds and Ground Blossums!

Check all these first and clean up all terminals and connections. Make sure the ground blossoms are well GROUNDED to the chassis. Don't just LOOK at them, prove it with an Ohmmeter or test light.

If that fails to resolve the problem... remove and test the diodes on the problem motor. (Remove the headlamp, as well as the access cover, to better gain access into this area.)

More detail on diode test and replacement when needed. HTH...

You can "jiggle" some things...

But I suggest you use a VOM or test light to SEE and PROVE the problem, and then "jiggle" the wires.

Jiggle your other things on your own time...

Ugh, gotta buy a voltmeter, will be about time I did anyways. And hey, wifey has a "headache", gotta jiggle sometimes! Hahaa

UPDATE

Took the car out of it's winter slumber and took her for a spin on her proving grounds, runs great...then checked the headlights, here's a new one, tried high beams, then turned the side stalk to low beams...and they worked! They are intermittent after several tests, will go to HF and buy something and get that VM...my educated guess is that it could be that high beam relay, probably getting stuck. CHeers!

Check all these first and clean up all terminals and connections. Make sure the ground blossoms are well GROUNDED to the chassis. Don't just LOOK at them, prove it with an Ohmmeter or test light.

If that fails to resolve the problem... remove and test the diodes on the problem motor. (Remove the headlamp, as well as the access cover, to better gain access into this area.)

More detail on diode test and replacement when needed. HTH...

if this answer was for me,(and I assume it is!) then thank you Tony...I'll try these things...

Regards,
Paul

Indeed it was Paul... It appears the internet is...

kinda slow getting to the UK. I think I wrote that almost 2 weeks ago! HA!

(Bob Brown helped me to optimize my browser so I can select and reply to an individual comment. I see many here reply in an ever "slanting" string overall, and not to a specific individual.)

Hopefully you find a simple solution to YOUR problem like I did for mine. Always start with the LAST thing you did, and then the SIMPLEST thing to do next.

HTH...

OH... One more thing... PLEASE let us know what you find... as it lets us know if our advice is any good and will help others as well!

As John says above... but PROVING the relay...

is good or bad is LESS EXPENSIVE.

Use your voltmeter to prove there is voltage coming to the relay via the switch on the stalk. If voltage is there, even when the relay fails to light the high beams, then its (MOST LIKELY) NOT the switch, and is as you say, the relay needs to be exercised or replaced.

(I say "most likely" because I had a switch on my Vette that proved to NOT be able to handle the current to operate a power window. After 3 weeks messing with the window motor and PROVING there was power available... it was the switch after all. I don't believe in this case you will find this to be true.)

If you don't get power to the relay at times... then the stalk switch might just need exercise, cleaning or replacement... and I would approach that in that exact order.

One caution though when "exercising"... Do it slow as flicking it on and off repetitively and fast may cause a headlight element to burn out. (Guess how I know...)

HTH...

Back