New Exhaust Or Weld in a Catolitic Converter?

LoveX1/9s

True Classic
My 1st X won’t pass emissions without a catalytic converter. The cheap way out is to cut the exhaust and fit it in. But I wonder how long they will make complete exhaust systems. Found a complete system with header for over 1,000 bucks. May go that route for extra hp, weight savings and of course the cool sound. I’ve never owned an X so I don’t know if I have to pull the engine to get to everything.

Even Harder Than it Seems?

This is what I found on-line. I bet it's even harder than this...

1. Remove stock muffler and all other pipes at exhaust manifold.
2. Remove and plug fuel lines.
3. Disconnect accelerator linkage and all electrical connections at manifold.
4. Remove and disconnect oxygen sensors.
5. Remove intake and exhaust manifolds and save all hardware.
6. Remove the center (long) exhaust manifold stud and replace with a stud about 20mm in length. Item No. 25015.
7. Jack rear of car high enough to get header underneath and safely support car on jack stands. (Chock front wheels.)
8. Support transmission with wood block or a jack stand.
9. Disconnect shift linkage and remove rear cross member.
10. Install header through the opening between the engine and firewall. (To route header it may be necessary to remove alternator and/or carbon canister.)
11. Install new manifold gasket and temporarily bolt header in place.
12. Replace cross member, reconnect gear linkage and lower car.
13. Install intake manifold, tighten all intake and exhaust manifold nuts.
14. Remove all other piping form existing muffler and install rest of system to header. Header flange hooks directly to muffler.
15. Install oxygen sensor probe in its fitting and connect wire (fuel injected cars), or install lambda probe fitting plug.
:read:

Year, engine size, etc

What exhaust is on the car right now? Stock? Modified? Is it a 1300 or 1500 engine? Carb or FI? Is there a "test pipe" in place of the missing cat? There are a few variations for just the stock set up.

Specs

86, FI, 1500. Outside of the manafold, the pipes are let's say custom. The mechanic said they got creative.

Maybe get the right down pipe?

Maybe get the right down pipe? Then take it to a muffler shop then ask them to hook it to the manifold and fill in the blanks from there?

MWB has most of what you need if the muffler shop isn't feeling that creative and you can give them a copy of the shop manual exhaust section to give the guys at the shop an example to work from.

Here is the proper cat and muffler. Call a few shops and see if anyone is interested. They must get bored doing Chevys, Dodges, etc, etc every day. :)

One more thought. You should that list of the basic the specs of your X and make a signature. Then it will be in every post.

Another option

Is to go to Vibrant Racing web site and look for a bottle cat. They are small and rated for 6L engines. Cost is about $150 and the muffler shop should be able to install it somewhere in your existing system.

I have one on my 79 X, just to clean up the exhaust stream. When I was at FFO years ago before the Cat installation people following me were complaining about the fumes on the drives. Since the installation, no more complaints.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

The expensive root

I think I'm going to go with a new system. Allison in CA will cut a complete set of pipes-header and all with a muffler and cat for about 1000 bucks. It will add se hp too. Will let you know how it goes as long as I can get the bolts off.

I think I'm going to go with a new system. Allison in CA will cut a complete set of pipes-header and all with a muffler and cat for about 1000 bucks. It will add se hp too. Will let you know how it goes as long as I can get the bolts off.

I'd keep your header and find a good exhaust shop to build you a custom stainless steel system. Select high quality components, catco, etc. and a nice quality tip. I did this at a local shop, very happy with the results.

I had an awful experience going the route you mention, but I won't re-type it here. Feel free to PM.

Exhaust

Opted to stay stock with the exhaust manifold. Hanksville hot rods was highly recommended and they built the rest out.
Sort story, the old one could not be salvaged. It's all
Good now and they did a great job. Passed emissions by a ton today.

Opted to stay stock with the exhaust manifold. Hanksville hot rods was highly recommended and they built the rest out.
Sort story, the old one could not be salvaged. It's all
Good now and they did a great job. Passed emissions by a ton today.

Post pics! What kind of catalytic converter and muffler did you/they go with? What kind of exhaust tip? I should post some pics of the dual-outlet one I found for my car.

Old Age

So I wish I could remember. Hanksville Hot Rods did it and they are all about quality. Did I great job with great components.

Back