Electric X

OK GUYS, I think we are all on the same team here...

Need to cool down a bit, gas or electric... and if you are really into TORQUE... then a steam engine is in your future!

As for the TV show, "My Mother the Car"... It was on past my bedtime for me to stay up...

Lastly, regarding cars with "soul"... consider yourself lucky that yours is not POSSESSED like most of ours are!

HA!

Need to cool down a bit, gas or electric... and if you are really into TORQUE... then a steam engine is in your future!

As for the TV show, "My Mother the Car"... It was on past my bedtime for me to stay up...

Lastly, regarding cars with "soul"... consider yourself lucky that yours is not POSSESSED like most of ours are!

HA!
You are right Tony. The conversation is starting to sound serious. That is the thing I first noticed about this forum was everyone seemed laid back compared to some other forums. On the EV forum guys can get pretty hot about the subject. I sometimes think we should sit on our battery packs and get a little electroshock therapy..... Steam! The second vehicle to set a land speed record in the eighteen hundreds was steam powered.(The first was an electric) There is a video somewhere of a 16hp steam tractor pulling down an 800hp John Deer in a game of tug-o-war.

If you missed My mother the Car you are probably better off. It was so bad I don't think it is even used as a rerun. I guess none of my cars have been possessed because I exorcise then with the right combination of cusswords.( I was in the navy so I learned how to get them right)

HA! I only spent 3 years, 10 months and 11 days...

in Uncle Sam's Floating Farce, but apparently I did not learn the appropriate nautical terms that would work at exorcizing a Fiat. Probably 'cause I was always ashore... even in 'Nam...

Hey... Was there an "A" school for that?

As for My Mother the Car... I lied. I was old enough to stay up and watch it but I usually watched that talking horse show Mr. Ed (Wil-burrrr... ), or Topper and his ghostly house guests... or Bewitched in my early teens.

What was with all that crap anyway? GEEZ!

in Uncle Sam's Floating Farce, but apparently I did not learn the appropriate nautical terms that would work at exorcizing a Fiat. Probably 'cause I was always ashore... even in 'Nam...

Hey... Was there an "A" school for that?

Aug 1966-Feb1970. USS Stoddard 566. I was in engineering as a BT (Boiler technician). More commonly referred to as a Snipe or Bilge Rat. I did two tours on her. We got hit on our second cruise. You can bet there was a bit of cussing then. We decommissioned her in 1968 and I spent my last three months on the USS Providence CLG 6. The Stoddard was the last twenty one hundred Fletcher Class.

HA... we served almost at the same time...

August 1967 to May 1971. I was an ET(N)2, commonly known as a TWIGGET... and spent two years after "A" school in Coos Bay Oregon... tracking soviet subs.

Having a bit more than a year left to serve, with a wife and two boys ages 2 and 3... I got flown to Da Nang where I repaired and moved, modified and decommissioned transmitters, antennas, receivers, TTY's and the like... And once established... we repaired mostly tape decks and color TV's for our "shipmates".

I've been sniped at a few times and have flown over most of that God-forsaken country... arriving home unharmed until 13 years later.

Came down with NHL (Lymphoma, A/O induced) in 1984 and was given a very poor prognosis... but had some very assertive doctors. One relapse 13 years ago... and this August will be 30 years as a survivor. I probably spend more time at the VA than at home in recent years!

Great chatting with ya...

Soul of a car !

If electric cars are your thing then by all means own one and enjoy it. Don't try and convince me they are cleaner because overall they are not. Don' t try and tell me they are safer because they are not. Yeah they have fewer moving parts but so does a car with no engine. Yes I am 62 years old and probably set in my ways. If you look forward to a future where you go to a track and hear silence or just tire swishing and that excites you then I hope I have long since left this earth as there will be no joy in watching competitive racing any longer. Working on a new car is already tantamount to fixing your laptop and an electric car will move you another step further away from the thrill of being a back yard mechanic. Now you cannot measure my excitement hearing an engine sound with any device. You cannot put a value or social equivalency to my ability to get joy out of working on an engine. I will just call it the soul of the car and let your creative mind figure out what that means.

Ray

I wish you the best Tony. My long time friend that I worked side by side with on boilers developed asbestosis from the insolation on steam pipes. Although I did get injured on my second cruise and spent a month in the Subic Bay hospital I have been pretty lucky. It sounds like you got some schooling while in. Did it help you in civilian life? You must be getting some compensation I hope.

Like I said Ray... WE ARE ALL WITH YOU!

We ALL understand and mostly AGREE with you and the points you made.

Just like using this medium of posting versus sending you a letter... A paper card in the mail has it all over an e-card for your birthday. And a gas powered car will always have that certain something over any other powered car.

BUT... just like using this computer... ya gotta try a Tesla ONCE to see what we are talking about. Its just a whole DIFFERENT way of doing something. I think I would get the same kinda kick outta driving one of Jay Leno's Steamers!

Very kind of you... thanks...

Yeah... that asbestos stuff probably contributed to my father's death as well... along with the stogies he smoked for 70 odd years. Lots of ads on TV and in the Veteran's mags by ambulance chasers soliciting folks to file claims. At least we know NOW how to deal with the stuff.

Reminds me of a recent learning of mind... "If we live in the past, we get depressed, if we live for the future, we just get anxious. We need to live in the NOW."

Schooling... yes! I was working for Cadillac in Hollywood and after a year and a half and the threat of the draft... I enlisted for electronics training and to stay out of that conflict on a great big BATTLESHIP! I loved working on cars, but found I liked it better as a HOBBY rather than a CAREER. Most of the men I worked with had no retirement and URGED me to get into something else. In their way... they were right... even though they yelled at me to "get outta here!"

God has always had a hand in my life... as I look back and see it was actually DIRECTED even though I did not necessarily ask or knew it was happening at the time.

After schooling I landed in Coos Bay Oregon and it was like a scene from a James Bond movie. Boards were used for tracking subs and ships with exclusive equipment using hydrophones to listen. We could track ships and subs 8000 miles away... using 1958 (in 1968) technology developed by your friendly Phone Company... Bell Labs and Western Electric.

The radio equipment there was much of the same stuff I worked on in 'Nam and with just one other tech, we got adept at figuring out stuff for ourselves and everyday was another day at LEARNING.

Getting discharged a bit early was great but I hadn't really prepared myself for civilian life and a job. The short story is I joined the Mailroom at Pacific Bell, went on to Building Maintenance (A/C, boilers, Generators and Power...) and then into the Switchroom.... which was much of the same equipment I worked on in Coos Bay!

I excelled there... went on to computerized and digital switching, went on to further my education with several degrees, was promoted, got sick, all this mis-mashed together as I still worked, and received two more promotions before I retired early at 53. I always say I started at the bottom in the Mailroom and clawed my way to the MIDDLE! HA! Considering everything... It was a fantastic ride over 30 years!

As for the VA... I was first diagnosed in 1984, participated in surveys that I knew nothing about really, and in 1991 when I was supposed to be dead, the VA sent me $20 grand as they formally associated my cancer with service in Vietnam. There were 6 illnesses and diseases at first, now there are literally over 100. The VA said I was 100% disabled for 1 year while undergoing chemo... but was not eligible any more. OK with me... I guess... I was ALIVE!

Within the year after I retired, my Mom died and I had an estate to deal with as I was looking for more work and possibly to double dip into the Phone Companies. I relapsed and went under IMMUNO therapy for 2 1/2 years... which was unlike chemo except I was much older now and it fatigued me greatly. I CALLED the VA and within 9 months I received back pay and 100% disability from them... but they did not tell me of all the other benefits I was eligible for. I also contacted Social Security and that became a 5 year fight and several appeals before they approved my claim. It was just LAST year that I finally received all that I was due! basically a 10 year fight!

Then in January of last year, the VA said I must be cured and was gonna take away my compensation. The short 5 month story there was I actually LOST that appeal, but filed a secondary claim for 11 other issues. Four they accepted and again brought me to 100%, one they service connected but did not compensate for... and then they gave me another 100% for PTSD issues. HA! I contend it was NOT The war that was the REAL problem, but filing these F*&#%$! claims that put me over the top!

Again... I am being cared for greatly... and am appreciative, and do my best to help others with their claims as well. I also DESERVE most of it, but not all. I am truly blessed.

Hope you are doing well... thank you for serving.

I enlisted for electronics training and to stay out of that conflict on a great big BATTLESHIP! QUOTE]

That means you were on the USS New Jersey. We would run the coast lobbing five inchers to draw shore fire. A spotter in a navy helicopter would pinpoint the shore battery and the Jersey would lob those 16 inchers over our heads and on to the target. I was great fun! I have good and bad memories of the past and like BS ing about them but do not try to relive them. I pretty much live every day as it comes although I did make a vow in my younger years that I would not let the world pass me by so have tried to keep up with the times. I am not a wiz at a lot of the new stuff but I keep trying. When it comes to cars I still appreciate the sound of a mellow set of exhaust pipes but it is not the end all of motoring pleasure. I have been experimenting with putting sound to my electric. It is a bit old school but it was satisfactory when I was a kid.

HA... I meet with a group of about 35 - 50 guys...

at the local VA each week... and most of us can relate about our SCHEMES to stay out of the military, as well as Vietnam. We laugh our asses off through our tears...

As for Battleships, it wasn't until I was in for a year that the NJ was re-commissioned... and then decommissioned a few months before I shipped out. HA!

With all that fire power it obviously didn't make a dent in the efforts of our enemy at the time... They needed to hit Hanoi and even at 25 miles, they still didn't have the range.

Oh well... What's a few billion dollars wasted?

As for the memories... well... most of us STUFFED them as well 'cause everyone wanted to forget and no one wanted to hear about how we FELT. Then when one retires and even when you do have some stuff to do or work... all this stuff just kinda THROWS UP. It was only a few years ago that I realized I operated much like I did to survive in Vietnam... at HOME and on the job. It had some GOOD attributes as well as bad... but I never really let the "life or death" kinda thing go... and didn't realize I actually could. Relapsing and the other physical as well as emotional problems I have, utilizing the VA for much of my care continues to help as well as remember, without doing much harm to others. Kinda like the Harley Folks who say "if I haveta explain it, you wouldn't understand." I have surrounded myself with folks I don't have to explain it to, and understand completely.

As for the "Bicycle Card" on the spokes... (I wonder is that is why some playing cards are called "Bicycle"?) We used BASEBALL TRADING CARDS for a robust, deeper, and more manly sound!

HA~!

In this age of computers I haven't touched a Deck of cards for years. I had to do some digging to find the one in the picture and now you tell me it is not manly enough. How do you think a 1909 Honus Wagner tobacco card would sound?

Back