Clutch Pedal Spring

Red Bull 78

True Classic
Which side of the plastic sleeve on the main Pedal Shaft, does the C hook extention go? Front side, toward Front Bumper or Back side toward steering wheel? Mine was on the backside when I took it apart (and misplaced the "C-Hook" thingamajig.) Something tells me, that's not right. I found it and now want to put it back, correctly.

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/174158/

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while but I vaguely remember that if you install it the "wrong" way, whatever that is, as the pedal travels something hits something it's not supposed to hit. And the angles are wrong for giving the "over center" return assist + depress assist that the spring is there to provide in the first place.

Cleared that up didn't we? :D:innocent:

I took mine off and love it. Was sick of the false pedal feedback. Try it without and see what you think.

I got BIG Feet

I end up having to use my Toes on the Clutch rather than my Leg, to get around the brake pedal, so my ankle and calf muscles get too much of a work out for a causal Sunday Drive.

This photo from Midwest-Bayless' web site shows the C-hook forward of the plastic sleeve:

pedal-box-x-u8b.jpg

If you put it backwards, the C-hook will hit the sleeve before the pedal bottoms. This does not impede pedal travel, but the spring will provide less assistance.

Just when I was

. . . Cleared that up didn't we? :D:innocent:

Gonna say the more I see that color Blue on your 86, the more I like it.:lol:

The Clutch System was junk when I got the car, so I put the Masters & Support back together the way it came out. Then took the Spring & Hook off because the pedal stayed on the floor while I was trying to bleed the system. Considering all the other "mistakes" I've found on this car, I can't trust that how I find anything, is correct.

Thanks. That's What I Was Looking For

This photo from Midwest-Bayless' web site shows the C-hook forward of the plastic sleeve:

pedal-box-x-u8b.jpg

If you put it backwards, the C-hook will hit the sleeve before the pedal bottoms. This does not impede pedal travel, but the spring will provide less assistance.

So I only have to do this one more time. :mallet::mallet:

As you can see in my photo, it had the thing mounted on the backside.

If you stretch the spring, with a bench vise and pliers, whatever you can slip washers/coins between all the coils and put in on stretched then pull the washers/coins back out, makes it easier sometimes.

So I only have to do this one more time. :mallet::mallet:

As you can see in my photo, it had the thing mounted on the backside.
Depends on your definition of "backside". From your photo it looks like your C-hook is forward of the sleeve (just like in the Midwest-Bayless photo). Forward as in closer to the front of the car.

Yeah! That's The Problem

I've done it so many times with a BIG Screw Driver, like I said, I only want to do it one more time.
I'm getting so close to "Drivability" that I'm wondering about details like this.
I don't want to drive it to the Sunset Cruiser's Classic Car Cruise In next month and have it give me "problems". My research says I'm the only owner of an X 1/9 within hundreds of miles and if I'm going to park it anywhere near all those guys' classic Detroit Iron, I sure don't want to embarazz the rest of you.

If any of you guys like to Eat as much as Drive, come on down for a visit during this weekend. http://bbqfest.com/
If enough of you show up, we can get our own "block" in the car show.

I was at a big show last year, parked next to some serious money muscle cars, sensed quite a bit of scoffing, though it didn't bother me (much). Just knowing my car was easily one of the "best" performing cars there was enough for me. Driving it almost daily and enjoying it while spending about 1/20th of what they did, I'm good with it. Real car guys know better.

Cars Shows are Alweays Fun

I was at a big show last year, parked next to some serious money muscle cars, sensed quite a bit of scoffing, though it didn't bother me (much). Just knowing my car was easily one of the "best" performing cars there was enough for me. Driving it almost daily and enjoying it while spending about 1/20th of what they did, I'm good with it. Real car guys know better.

A few years ago, just after I'd picked up an 87 Chevy Sprint TURBO (for $900.00)

I was driving it thru a Major Custom Truck show, where the general public couldn't drive. While I was stopped at my destination, some guy came up and offered me 15 Benjamin's for it right there in the parking lot. He didn't care how well it ran. He was just going to put it on the back of his Custom "Red" Roll Back Hauler, just for "show".
If I had known then, what I soon found out, I would have taken the money and run.:mallet::mallet:

Last edited:
Back