What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Removed old tail light lenses

Another small step, but after getting a bit "derailed" on my project, and the finding it very hard to get back into the flow of things, I went with something small/simple to get back into the swing a bit. After all, an inch at a time is still progress:)
Was pulling the lenses to replace them with some better ones that I received. turned out things were pretty nasty in behind the lenses though so I hate to put the others on without *at least* cleaning things out a bit.
Things were bad enough in there that I don't think put in much concentrated effort cleaning out in there much though. that's something I can always come back and do any time to do a more complete job.
Next job: find all the little screws I'd had the forethought to put into a small plastic container, just before we got hit by massive windstorms.
Which of course hit while I'd gone inside, and I hadn't put the plastic lid *on* the little container.
For future reference, these screws are *not* magnetic, so having a handy extendable magnet stuck right there on the back of your car, just in case little screws get airborne, does very little good when trying to locate them among the handy nearby piles of leaves.
Doh...
Anyway, important part was just getting any little old thing started again and that helped my motivation greatly:)

Off with the Old, on with the New

Received a set of wheel centres and a new outer door trim for my 89 Bertone from Henk,

Removed the old damaged door trim to find copious amounts of Silastic holding the old trim on. Found a few of the buttons damaged and they will be replaced with some I machine from Nylon stock.

Hardest part was removing the Silastic.

Old wheel caps okay except for faded symbol. New caps are a treat!!!!

Now to see if I can learn how to post pictures

c0JeRmi.jpg

WVbhLW6.jpg

KYB's

Rears done on my 86. Pulled the old, cleaned/painted everything, then replaced stock with KYB GR2's.

Have two inserts (which came with the rears). Do I have to now look for a mid 70's car for the correct type of strut to swap these out?

KYB's

Rears done on my 86. Pulled the old, cleaned/painted everything, then replaced stock with KYB GR2's.

Have two inserts (fronts..?,which came with the rears). Do I have to now look for a mid 70's car for the correct type of strut to swap these out?

Have two inserts (fronts..?,which came with the rears). Do I have to now look for a mid 70's car for the correct type of strut to swap these out?

Pretty sure sealed replacements will universally work. Not likely to find replacement inserts for rebuildable struts. Some have gone the VW Rabbit inserts but takes some fab'ing and they are softer than X 19 struts.

Metal fab on the engine bay...

To make way for the bigger engine and transaxle.

IMG_00004.jpg

IMG_00017.jpg

It's nice to be able to walk again (without crutches) and even better to be able to work on this car.

Rear Trunk hinges

Finished installing the rear trunk hinges.
Tried the other day but got rained out halfway through the first hinge.
Lovely Kansas weather tried to freeze me out/rain me out again today, but I decided I wasn't going to let it stop me this time:p
It's a lil off-center and will need adjustment later on, but it's good enough for noooow;)

Vintage!!!

Today I installed vintage vehicle plates on Louis and Mia for the first time. Twins, side by side with sequential plate numbers....pretty cool. The police officer who came to my house to do the VIN checks was a car guy, and we spent a good 30 minutes swapping stories. Great guy! Then it was out for a spin with the cars side by side driving with my wife. Turned a few heads seeing these great cars together on the road. Sorry, no pics....forgot my phone. Next time.

drove the 74 for the first time

After a 28 hour, 1400 mile marathon trip from My house in Illinois to Petex19's house in Kingston Ontario and back (trailering the car)
I drove the 1974 for the first time. It's gonna need a lot of restoration, but I'll get it done with a little help from the best x1/9 web site going, xweb!

changed the transmission oil for the first time since owning the car. looks like it hasn't been done it quite a while, it smelled a little and was almost yellow/brown.
Filled up with castrol gtx 20w50 as recommended by xweb because I couldn't find any non-ep gear oil locally.

Also diagnosed what may have been causing my difficult engine starts, the trans grounding strap is covered in muck and worn quite heavily. Replacement is on the way, and going to also replace battery ground and add another engine ground near the top for safe measure.

Also purchased some of these numberplate lights to replace the chunky stock ones
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251411090730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Still many many things to fix and upgrade but its good fun learning with this car

I just saw your posting. Great work ! I'm thinking i may have to replace my right rear bearing. I'm getting a loud "clacking" type noise when i go over minor bumps in the road and i noticed when car is jacked up that there is definite play or wobble in the wheel when i try to shake it. Would this clacking noise be the bearing ? What size in mm is the big nut that holds the bearing in place? And,can that shake in the wheel be fixed by tightening that big nut? Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Adjusted targa top hook thingy

Tried to fix an issue with the right rear hook not hooking properly.
Adjusted the chrome plate on the roof hoop as far back as it would go.
Still wouldn't hook properly though. Doh...:\
At least now I know that the problem can't be fixed with just the adjustment.
Not so much "progress", but learned something I guess.
Think I saw a mention somewhere on xweb about maybe doing something to repair the hooks when the plastic has worn off of it. Well look into that next.
Sprinkling now and supposed to get rain so that's probably it for the night.
inch at a time, inch at a time...
:p
Might try finishing up the taillight lenses. That only takes a screwdriver and I can finish up pretty quick if the rain cuts loose.
**update**
Got the taillight lenses installed:D
I'll eventually need to take them off and do some cleaning in there, but at least it's one thing put back together for now, and feels good to have more than a failed adjustment to show for the day:p

Last edited:
Had a similar problem once. As a temporary fix I cut a small piece of rubber and dropped it into the receiver plate. The end of the hook pressed against the rubber making it snug.

Thanks for the suggestion:)

I'll give it a try:)
Raining out there at the moment, but I'll give it a shot when the weather clears up.
Thanks again for the suggestion:D

BobG Radiator and new heater valve

I installed one of my BobG radiators and a new heater valve into my 85 autoX X. I am definitely feeling it tonight. The mother f******* heater valve is a pain in the f******* azz. This is my second heater valve replacement (on different Xs) and I really really hate messing with those things. I am sure the guy that designed that system still laughs his azz off every time he thinks about it.

At least it was a productive Saturday.

Back