1974 128 SL Coupe build project

Agnelli

True Classic
Acquired this from Mike Mittlestead, credited for collecting the parts. Thanks to Kelly Dicker for the connection, Dave Voss for advice, and Jeff Stich for the 3.76 four speed. Ported head from Bojan, pistons from Martijn.

1500 build starts today, 89k mile early FI. Small flycut stock euro pistons. European cam 24/68, with 48 degrees of overlap & 272 degrees duration, Forged aftermarket connecting rods, ARP main/flywheel/head stud fasteners. Ported big valve head 7mm stems. 40 DCNF, Alquati manifold, tube header, NOS Supersprint exhaust. X1/9 rear Konis for 128 front end, 3 leaf Estate wagon rear spring.

Plan is to make it run, then address suspension, then cosmetics.

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/jim_kiriakis/library/?sort=6&page=1

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
Bumpers

Correct, original chrome bumpers for 128SL. Thinking about making a mold from them, to be able to reproduce in composite material.

Block teardown

DSCN4677_zps9f07ad28.jpg

DSCN4674_zpse7b02c94.jpg

Block is off to the machine shop for cleaning and honing. Crank & bearings look great, crank only requires polishing on the end to ensure a good seal.

Last edited:
Old motor, out!

Surprisingly easy to drop the old lump, nothing super frozen. Oil pump pickup, oil pan, fuel pump, starter, various brackets will be salvaged for use with the new build 1500. Water pump was frozen, discovered one torn axle boot. Starter and solenoid look great. Will also pilfer the clutch arm to move to the Yugo transaxle. Gear oil that came out looked great. Easy!

Last edited:
Part on order, thanks MattB!

Parts just shipped from Midwest Bayless:italia::worship:
Valve spring base washers and inner seats
Cam timing belt & tensioner bearing
Clutch release throw out bearing
Valeo clutch cover and disk
Fuel filler cap
Plaia pivots
Clutch cable
Lightened flywheel
Lower motor mount
Shifter Lollipop
Inside axle boot
Rear brake flex line
Speedometer cable
Heater cable
Heater valve w/ gasket
Brake Master cylinder
Thermostat O ring

From Rock Auto:whistle:
Wheel cylinder repair kit
Bosch Water pump
Front brake flex line
Radiator Cap

From C. Obert & Co:
FRONT STRUT UPPER MOUNT BUSH
CAMBER ADJUSTMENT BOLT

Obert...

I find I have to talk to Chris in upper case as well.... hahaha...

Just kidding with you. You to Chris!

Getting ready to do a similar thing on my 128. Chris is going to hate me for some of the very strange things I am going to need him to find for me.

Eric.

One thing...

Will also pilfer the clutch arm to move to the Yugo transaxle.

I'd recommend not moving the early-style 128 clutch arm to the Yugo transaxle. The outer end of the late-128/Yugo clutch arm is shaped like a half-circle, as is the small clutch cable fitting (plastic wedge), and (IMHO) they fit & rotate better with(in) each other than the older 128 counterparts do. :2c:

Removed necessary parts from old engine

Thanks Jeff for the advice, I will follow. By the way, did the transaxle get shipped northbound?

Meanwhile, removed old water pump / housing, snail mount / alternator & brackets, and split transaxle from block. Pulled pressure plate and flywheel and tin bits. Drained the pan, filthy oil / water inside. Next step will pull the pan and oil pickup / pump.

Image0375_zps38550db6.jpg

Day 12 since delivery, block and crank back from machine shop

Block cleaned & honed, crank polished, engine build started.

Steering rack replaced & installed, steering column lubricated and re-installed.

Image0378_zps90464484.jpg

Image0379_zpsaa0925e5.jpg

Last edited:
Crank and mains w/ ARP fasteners, installed

Polished crank and main bearings are now in, with the nice hardware, and new seals. Small flycut euro pistons w/ forged rods and new Mahle rings should be complete this evening. Everything's measuring to spec per the Fiat 128 service manual.

Original perished dashboard, uninstalled. Blending the best components from a surplus instrument cluster, expecting to get fully operational and illuminated cockpit.

Steady forward progress in two weeks. Coupe sat for likely 15 years, we'd like to see it rolling in 30 days.

Image0380_zpsca592a89.jpg

Image0383_zps72650d77.jpg

Three con rod ends needed enlarging

So back to the machine shop, now they run perfect and free on the wrist pins. Fortuitous, they also gave the oil pan a solvent bath, which I shall paint this weekend. Meanwhile, snaps of the dash resto. Fed Ex just delivered two large parcels.

128SlCoupe004_zps4499c804.jpg

128SlCoupe006_zpsc09c1b8b.jpg

128SlCoupe001_zpsbdd84a1a.jpg

Parts arrived, plus further progress

Brazing repair to windage tray, oil pump, dipstick tube, oil pan installed. Next step, head install, then brakes.

Heater control unit removed. Choke and hand throttle will require attention. Test fit new dash. Expect to pull the heater box next, refresh valve, flapper mechanism, and cables. Also restore water pump housing and supply pipe.

parts002_zps914da721.jpg

Head and cam box are ready for install. Euro cam is high lift, initially it felt a little tight. Two iterations of re-shimming resolved, exactly on spec save one valve that's within .001. Refurbished and repainted crossmember and engine tin. Removed heater core box, control cables/levers. It shall be refreshed. Very little corrosion below heater box, happily. Water pump housing, new Bosch high quality water pump, installed. Brake calipers cleaned, rebuild, and reinstalled. New master cylinder installed. Test fit ARP head studs, they're going to work!

Finally, hat's off to Jeff Stich, he's sending me a Yugo GVX five speed, wonderful upgrade from the 4 speed originally contemplated.

Enginebuild001_zps10610269.jpg

Last edited:
Wha...?

Finally, hat's off to Jeff Stich, he's sending me a Yugo GVX five speed, wonderful upgrade from the 4 speed originally contemplated.

I am? :confuse2: (I've been waiting for a reply from you on whether you wanted the newly-acquired 5-speed vs. the 4-speed I already had for you). :whistle:

So I take it that's a "yes" on the 5-speed? :grin:

Yessir!

Sorry Jeff, the PM must not have made it over the wire. I'll check the sent box and resend.

test fit manifolds, heater core refurb

Alquati+DCNF+header fit well. Uninstalled old exhaust from chassis, discovered original electric fuel pump which had been supplanted by mechanical pump. Applied 12V from moto battery, amazingly it spun. Heater core tested intact, penetrating oil & heat allowed removal of seized valve, one stud had been broken years ago, made good with silver solder repair. Plastic control cable ends / hood release cable / choke cable ordered from Chris O. Revived blower motor.

Proper thermostat housing arrived from Slovenia for circa 1990 big valve small stem ported head.

Heater box ready for reinstall once spring clips and cable ends arrive.

Koni struts cleaned tuned & re-assembled

Nice to have access to a hydraulic spring compressor. Had the foresight to check the dampening adjustment....one was full soft, other was turned in 1 1/2 from full soft. Set both at 1 1/2, figuring they're bedded in. Cleaned up the spring perches and shock bodies. Replaced stock fiber bushings with new freshly greased Plaia pivots. New upper rubber bushings also done. Ready for re-installation.

Note the difference in overall length vs stock units (which will be re-purposed into another SL Coupe with higher original milege). Probably 1 1/2" difference, though with the different springs, the drop in ride height should greater than that.

Heater box clips, control cable ends, choke cable forthcoming from Fiatsplus, once received the dash replacement shall happen. Transaxle en route from Mr Stich, so likewise the powerplant.

Back