1984 Restoration

gunna

Daily Driver
Thought it was about time I posted some pictures of my on going restoration.
I got given the car around 10 years ago already part stripped with some work carried out and I was originally going to just get it fit for M.O.T and drive it but found the engine was dead and realized that it was going to cost more than the car would of been worth so it sat for a long time getting in the way.
The photo's take up the story when i restarted the work and this time decided I was going to eradicate all the rust possible.
All repair panels are made by myself I'm too tight to pay lots of money for something that I can beat to shape with a hammer!

First day on the frame

Repairs sill section end, sealant channels and front end

Repairs to sills and rear inner wheel arches, the main sills were remarkably solid and only needed minor work.

Floor repairs parts made and fitted, note the longer seat runner sections as the original ones were very short and bent the pans then split!

New boot section and corners made and fitted

New front and rear valences made

Repairs to windscreen area which was pretty bad shape I had to slowly work all the way around bit by bit and make a whole new panel for the scuttle area

Repairs to the roof bar section

Repairs to crash damage and doors

Finally epoxied main body and undersides finished off

Lots of bits that I haven't shown some I haven't got pictures for like the strut towers and outer wheel arches, I will update when I have more to show.

Its Orange

Got the main body painted today managed to get one run on the front wing but it will easily cut out, my fault thought i'd got enough paint in the gun to finish and ran out of paint and when I restarted managed to get too much on as the light was fading and my mask needed a good clean (light rubbish at work), silly me!!!

WOW... this car would have been a brand new tin can...

had it been found here in California...

You are a true artisan of the Hammer and Torch!

I bow to you... Great, no rather... PHENOMENAL WORK here!

Congratulations!

GREAT STUFF... !!!

Always great to see an exxe being put back together in such a nice way.

Needs to happen more often.

Bernice

Our good friend "Lappy" from Australia is the reigning champion:headbang: of X1/9 rotisserie restorations, but WOW you just jumped into #1 challenger status.:excited:

Congrats and keep up the amazing work!

Formidable

Unbelievable all the work you have done ... I think you are a "Transformer"

Great work

Spectacular !

You have elevated the term "Epic" to a new level. Nuccio Bertone is smiling at you from above !

Hi Mickey I'm in Lincoln.

I brought my engine, gearbox and wiring loom from someone in Bradford, small world!!!

Engine Cover

Some more pictures of some work done recently, My engine cover had the usual rot so had to tackle it.

Made a former out of plywood and cut the steel out to shape

Cut the rot out of the engine cover and made the inner repair piece

Hammered the side piece to shape on the former and time to weld up after a little zinc primer

Not perfect but should last a fair while when its got some paint and preservative put inside the cavity

Just when I start to think I can do stuff, someone like you has to show me I am just a half-hack!

What beautiful work you have done!

M

Rotisserie

Your project is truly inspirational!

Is your rotisserie home-made? Do you have the specs for it?

Grazie!

Rotisserie

Hi Grazie,
Yes it is home made just used what we had laying around the workshop, I think the main frame was 60mm SHS with pinch bolts holding scaffold tube in the bottom and the revolving part was just some old steel we had laying around that just happened to fit inside each other, you can see from the picture how it works just need to lock it off, I drilled holes in the revolving part and dropped a steel pin in.

Here is one of the simplest and inexpensive Rotesseries...

one can build.

Do a search for more details and ideas... but two 1000 pound engine-stands from Harbor Freight, modified with some more square tubing, welded or bolted together, couldn't be much simpler.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=engine+stand

1year042.jpg

With a a little forethought, they could be built to easily convert back and forth. Have fun!

Nice work.

Impressive use of skills and it is nice to see a car brought back from the edge of the grave.

Just one question.

You stripped the car out almost to the bare shell and then left the wire harness and throttle cable to get covered in over spray. Will you be changing out the harness and cable as well?

Once again, nice work, thanks for sharing.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back