How to best sell a project car?

Kevin B (Asheville NC)

Administrator
Hiya folks.

Times are getting tougher, and I am not working on my project (autocross) x like I should.

If I were to offer it up for sale, what is best way to determine value?

It is a mostly complete 85 x. Excess of 100k miles. Was Champagne / black, but was repainted by dealer to be red / black to be able to move it easier.

Ran when parked, but has trash on fuel tank. Will run off can of gas hooked to fuel pump.

Good: FAZA Stage 3 springs. KYB-GR2s all around. Some form of free flow exhaust (I believe it is a OE FI manifold to a straight pipe and sortofa muffler)

Bad: Light rust through at bottom of rear corners and in front wings. (have replacement panels for repair). Hoosier slicks are dry rotted (will only hold air for a few days. Partially taken apart (in prep for body work (lots of paint removed and primered). Some busted plastic (like filler piece between front bumper and nose. Some body damage (predates myself and previous owner) on drivers side front fender, but repairable (drivers door skin should be replaced with good donor door.

Interior intact (but fabric dirty).

Well on way to making good autocross car or to mad and make good street car with different springs.

What is it worth to this market and how to best present it?

Thanks,
kevin

Pics before removing trim and sanding / primering
Frt.jpg

Otherside.jpg

Rear.jpg

BEST for who, Kevin? And BEST for what?

I think FINANCIALLY...

BEST for YOU would be to sell off the pieces.

BEST for the BUYER would be to buy it all at once.

I think TIME-WISE...

BEST for YOU would be to sell it all at once for pennies on the dollar. If you don't have time to work on it you probably don't have time to piece-part it out either... nor the PASSION to do it as well.

BEST for the BUYER also...

I think for POSTERITY...

Best for YOU to sell it cheap to someone who will continue with an autocross project.

Best for the BUYER to do the same... Making this one street legal and comfortable would be costly, but not as costly as SOME I have seen...

As for prices, piece-parts can be compared to what are currently being sold by our vendors or even sold TO our vendors... as well as the good feeling you can have at helping another enthusiast by giving them a good price... and still doing better FINANCIALLY than selling the car as a whole.

As for the whole, in this case the WHOLE (car) is NOT worth MORE than the sum of its parts, nor is it worth the SAME as the sum of its parts. I'll not go further into details, but just wanna get the TRUTH out there... and not just an OPINION.

Good luck and fortune to both YOU and the BUYER(s)! And one last thing... Sorry you need to do this, but it can be a smart thing to realize your limitations. I still haven't reached that level of consciousness for myself yet...

Back