What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

reinforced recognition

That makes sense.
We've got it polished out, now, and are happier than ever with the color choice. I'm wishing for a clear day, so I can get some pictures of it with some Fall foliage in the background. I think that would make the color look especially nice... Today is drizzly, overcast, & windy... There's probably a psychological name for the weather seeming to be crummier when you're wishing for a sunny day!

:sun:

Brian

That makes sense.
We've got it polished out, now, and are happier than ever with the color choice. I'm wishing for a clear day, so I can get some pictures of it with some Fall foliage in the background. I think that would make the color look especially nice... Today is drizzly, overcast, & windy... There's probably a psychological name for the weather seeming to be crummier when you're wishing for a sunny day!

:sun:

Brian
If I am ever in that restaurant again and that guy is there I will have him explain the weather phenomenon to me and I will pass it on.

Custom lower fuel tank outlet for K20

Finally got this done.
IMG_00124.jpg

Next...Install and start plumbing the fuel lines.

Koni instal, new bearings and an oops....

The SoCal Best of Italy show is almost here so I thought I better get some work done on the Fiat. My guy pulled it our to the work bay and oops, bumped into a car backing out of the parking spot. Oh-well, I know where to fix it.

Now for the good stuff!

Powdercoated spindles, cad 2 plated hardware and new bearings. One bearing was getting pretty loud, so everything new.

Double adjust Konis' ( Thanks Matt!)

See ya at the Pancake breakfast Nov 2, 2014
Bob T

Worked on front alignment

Today I jacked up the X to work on front toe-in since installing the rebuilt steering rack. The inner ball ends had longer threaded ends, so I didn't pre set them very well. I used a straight pin method I read about. I got the toe-in to about 3/4 inch, which is less than it was, but still needs work. I'll probably drive it to have it aligned better, unless you X-heads out there can tell me just how precise this needs to be; I read 5/64 to 15/64 inch as the acceptable range. The car does have CD91 wheels, if that changes anything. Then I have to straighten the steering wheel slightly. Of course not being a mechanic, everything takes me forever, but I do like the learning process. While I had the front wheels off, I replaced the original brake bleeders with Speed Bleeders. I really love 'em. I only have the rear wheels left to install Speed Bleeders on. I originally ordered five, and have one in the clutch slave now, too.

This is how you can be unlucky and lucky at the sametime.

A funny thing happened on the way home a few hours ago. I was getting the chainsaw ready for this winters cutting and decided to run into the parts store for a carb kit. I jumped into the X19 and headed out. Everything went fine going and everything was fine coming back until about 100 feet from the garage when I heard and felt a clunk and the car pulled to the right. I stopped thinking I hit a piece of flint and punctured a tire. Got out and made a quick circle around the car and all the tires were still completely round so I got back in and started to pull forward and heard a scraping noise so I got back out to take a closer look and saw this on the right front corner.
I went and got the jack and saw this.
The end of the radius rod broke off.

Luckily I had some spare parts.
So I changed out both sides and with the dog's help
I got it back together before dark.
I must be mellowing in my old age because I didn't cuss once the whole time.

K20 fuel rail and lines & engine harness installed...

IMG_00130.jpg

Getting REALLY close. BTW - the fuel tank I had modified for the bottom feed fuel line had some rust scale so I had it boiled, cleaned and sealed before installing it.

I am hoping by next weekend I will be able to at least fire up the engine. No BOFI for me however :(

Tested the swapped motor (some) today...

I got all the wiring done - although I should have ordered some red wine and bread to go with the spaghetti of a mess I have for now. I don't have fuel in the tank and I am missing the rubber "neck" extension that fits between the tank and filler line.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x9RdzS2zcJ8

Next time I post anything, it WILL be of the engine running. That is a promise.

BTW - is "loomed" a real word? You will hear what I am talking about... :)

Engine runs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDlvMnokXo

MUCH to left to do, but this was a major milestone :)

I got all the wiring done - although I should have ordered some red wine and bread to go with the spaghetti of a mess I have for now. I don't have fuel in the tank and I am missing the rubber "neck" extension that fits between the tank and filler line.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x9RdzS2zcJ8

Next time I post anything, it WILL be of the engine running. That is a promise.

BTW - is "loomed" a real word? You will hear what I am talking about... :)

Cheryl and I went for a drive on what is known as one of the 10 best roads in the US to drive... San Diego County Route S7 up to Palomar mountain. The twists and turns on the road are legendary, and it was a real test of my X's ability to carve through the twisties.

Scenic view of drought depleted Lake Henshaw:
20141109_150231_zps52dd9297.jpg

And I'm happy to report the X did quite admirably, with near neutral handling and well gripping tires...

Refreshment stop at the top of the mountain:
20141109_153102_zpsff0fae8d.jpg

Considering the altitude and the nature of the drive / climb, she never once made the trip a worry. That makes for one happy X owner :)

Thanks folks...

She runs!!! Awesome! When can you drive?

I had to re-plumb the hydraulic lines for the clutch - finished last night and need to finish the rear brake lines; I didn't like how I ran them before the last fitting of the engine so they are in but loose and calipers are off the car. I also have a funky idle cause by the IAC valve on the throttle body that I need to sort. I (somehow) missed my California car registration renewal and don't have a current tag on the car :( But, get those sorted and I can take it for a MILD test drive ;)

Phew...! So close, yet so far...

Today I dropped my son off at school with it.

But YESTERDAY, I bought it and drove it home!

New guy here. Bought an '81 X from a gentleman in CT yesterday. This is the second I've owned, but the first in over 20 years. The pic is me standing by the car on the ferry ride from CT to Long Island.

I'm going to have a lot of questions in the coming months. Is there an archive I can search before I bombard the board with questions?

Thanks. I look forward to getting to cyber-know everyone!

Back