1987 fiat X1/9 Bertone

arc12111

True Classic
I have been having difficulties finding videos or chat about removing the exhaust manifold from my car do to a crack or gasket issue. Has anyone else had a problem with their manifold, and were you able to repair it without buying new or used one? This car only has 30,384 original miles on her, and I am surprised to have a bad manifold already. Thank you, I hope someone can help me in the right direction.

Thank you, I will try this. Yeah I hear you there about just start taking things apart and going for it LOL. I will check out the link that's great.

Any kind of major work done to the manifold side of the engine is made 1000% easier by taking Jeff's advice and removing the large access panel between the engine compartment and the rear trunk.

The nature of a reverse flow head design such as is used on our X1/9s is that both manifolds are on the same side of the head, so removing the exhaust means you are also removing the intake.....not because you can't get the exhaust out without also taking the intake out, but because you'll have to at least separate the intake from the head far enough to remove and replace the siamesed combined intake and exhaust manifold-to-head gaskets. When ordering replacements, be sure to specify that you have fuel injection as these have an additional scallop take out of the gasket to accommodate the FI port in the intake runners.

It's pretty easy but not so much the first time, lots of stubborn nuts and studs if it hasn't been apart in a while, you should hit all the nuts on the manifold and exhaust down pipe joint, all of 'em, with PB Blaster (or similar) every few hours for a few days, even so you may well still snap a stud so don't be in a big hurry and you might want to order in a full stud set from the get go, the center one is really long and a bit of an odd ball, the others not so much. Also might need some fuel injection o-rings and such to reseal. When I got my car I eventually found one stud snapped off and another missing a nut, obvious gaps in manifold fit and I was running it around that way!

My 2C

1. It may help a lot to take off the engine cover.
2. Be sure to use Bronze nuts when re-installing. It will make it easier next time.
Enjoy -

I read somewhere about running the car with manifold issues that could in turn burn out a cylinder. Thank you for the info, very much needed bud. Anymore notes would help along the way. Thank you

probably referencing an intake manifold leak sucking in air thus getting a really lean burn which will make an engine very grumpy very fast :wall::wall:

Back