fiat vs K20 engine discussion

mikemo90

True Classic
woefully, it saddens me to see a Honda motor in an x. I understand the need for speed but I would rather have a 300 hp grenade motor that was Italian than a rice burner. when al c. went the Mazda rotary way it broke my heart. he built so many extremely fast fiat motors that he was banned from the classes he raced, and was pushed to compete with cars twice as powerful.
I would rather figure a way to shoehorn in a Ferrari 246 dino V6 than a Honda or Mazda power plant. maybe I'm just too old school, or maybe too old to grasp the concept.
good luck on the sale and I am sure it will go to a place that it will be appreciated.(better looking than the Honda transplant in Montana)
mikemo90*aol.com

Jim,

I'm willing to be corrected, but I am pretty sure you have 7" wheels front and back. When we received the wheels from Allison, the 6" (front) wheels had an incorrect bolt pattern--something large, maybe 4.25"/108mm or 4.5". Allison didn't have any more correct 6" wheels, so we ordered another pair of rear wheels. Much to my surprise, they actually fit with an appropriately sized front tire. Regarding the tires, rear are 205-50 and I think the fronts are 185-55, although they may have been 195-50.

Regarding non-Italian engine swaps, I understand the feeling in particular contexts, but as neat as these cars are, I don't think this is a context where purists do particularly well. Is it blasphemy to install an LSX into a DeTomaso Pantera or a Ferrari 308? It may well be, but the X1/9, as much as it is loved by its following, was conceived as a disposable economy car--an attractive, surprisingly practical, even more surprisingly enjoyable disposable economy car, but disposable nonetheless.

The Fiat single cam engine is underpowered and terribly expensive to squeeze just a few more horsepower out of. The engine is fairly well built, and will put up 100K in most cases, but 100K is no longer the benchmark for engine life--not by a long shot. After 300K, I would be more willing to take a K20 cross country than I would a freshly built (stock, even) Fiat single cam.

The Fiat single cam's transmission is glass. Glass might be a lovely medium. It might even be valuable. But glass is a terrible medium to make a transmission out of.

The shift linkage is shamefully mushy.

The K20 conversion brings the X in step with modern cars by simultaneously addressing all of the things that made these lovable cars crappy. All who care are entitled to care that the engine is not Italian, but NOTHING Italian that costs less than ten times the price of a K20 would deliver as much reliable power as the K20 does, and even if it does deliver the power, I still strongly doubt that anything Italian could deliver K20 reliability at any cost.

Last edited:
Please explain.....

woefully, it saddens me to see a Honda motor in an x. ........... when al c. went the Mazda rotary way it broke my heart. ........I would rather figure a way to shoehorn in a Ferrari 246 dino V6 than a Honda or Mazda power plant.
mikemo90*aol.com

I have considered this a lot over the years and am baffled by the idea. Why would anyone care if another swaps the engine, the color, the seats or anything in a vehicle. They paid for the vehicle and OWN it for their own pleasure. This is similar to changing the inside of one's house, or yard. They are just using their own taste and preference to alter something to suit their desires. In many ways this is the prelude to invention. by trying new ideas.
On the other hand, to say that an item is devalued or increased in value by a change is reasonable, but still just an evaluation of anothers' property.

You must be a young person.

Honda's economy car of 1974 made 50 hp and weighed 1500 lbs at delivery. Of course that weight kept dropping as the car rusted. About a million Hondas were recalled by 1979 due to debilitating rust.

Honda knows a thing or two about fragile transmissions....ask owners of 2001-04 Acuras how many transmissions their cars have had.

The K20 is not some fantastical device that appeared from nowhere and had apes hopping up and down in front of, trying to figure out what it is. It happens to be a plentiful and serviceable (if somewhat gutless in the low and midrange) engine....wrecking yards are full of them. If the B engine wasn't all ass-backwards, since there are 10x more of them than the K, you probably would have been putting them in an X and not the K.

The point is, the K20 was not used in the X as a transplant due to some mystical quality, it's used because here in the USA it's plentiful and it fits. X owners in Europe don't have many Hondas in wrecking yards to choose from, so they've been using other FIAT engines, not to mention Alfa V6s and IIRC a VW VR6 or two. They are using what they have at hand, just like we are doing here.

And yes it is blasphemy to install an LSX engine into a DeTomaso Pantera.....since they came with 351 Clevelands.

PS--My apologies to Jim for muddying up his For Sale thread.

You must be a young person.

Yes, terribly young--only 39, and only working on cars since before I had a driver's license--and my experience of working on Fiats exclusively is limited to three years, including building Whitstone's, Berubi's, Oliveira's and MacKenzie's K20 cars as well as the supercharged K20 reboot of Kevin Stoudt's car and Rehan's 1.6L X in Dubai and tons of maintenance projects from general refurb on up. So, you're right. I don't know much.

Honda's economy car of 1974 made 50 hp and weighed 1500 lbs at delivery. Of course that weight kept dropping as the car rusted. About a million Hondas were recalled by 1979 due to debilitating rust.

Not sure what Honda's rust problems from the 1970s have to do with anything. All import bodies from the 1970s and 1980s had serious rust problems, with Fiat leading the pack.

Honda knows a thing or two about fragile transmissions....ask owners of 2001-04 Acuras how many transmissions their cars have had.

Some selector fork problems, but nothing to prevent the overwhelming majority from being capable of reliably handling 350HP in stock form, and NOTHING compared to the steel-bushed nightmare the X was delivered with.

The K20 is not some fantastical device that appeared from nowhere and had apes hopping up and down in front of, trying to figure out what it is.

2001: A Space Odyssey allusions aside, no, it was not delivered from Sinai. The K20 engine is one in a long line of Honda engines that were the result of tireless engineering and trial.

It happens to be a plentiful and serviceable (if somewhat gutless in the low and midrange) engine....wrecking yards are full of them.

I wouldn't say wrecking yards are full of the A2 and Z1 versions MWB uses in swaps, as those engines are hard to find for less than $3K with trans and harness. Garden variety low output K20s? Sure, no problem. Midrange is surprisingly strong as well. If you're clear of 3K RPM, there is seldom a reason to downshift.

If the B engine wasn't all ass-backwards, since there are 10x more of them than the K, you probably would have been putting them in an X and not the K.

Sure. Nothing wrong with the B series engines. Even the D series engines would be leaps and bounds above the single cam Fiat.

The point is, the K20 was not used in the X as a transplant due to some mystical quality, it's used because here in the USA it's plentiful and it fits.

I didn't say anything about a mystical quality. It is simply the best engineered and most powerful engine available for the cost that fits reasonably well into the engine bay.

X owners in Europe don't have many Hondas in wrecking yards to choose from, so they've been using other FIAT engines, not to mention Alfa V6s and IIRC a VW VR6 or two.

I lobbied heavily to build a prototype VR6 X. The VR is a super engine and would certainly make for a more economical build than the K20--as long as you stick to the 12V. If you want to go whole hog with a 24V 3.2L, that's going to cost. But $500 whole 12V powertrains are a cinch to come by. $500 for 175HP versus $3000+ for 220 is an easy call for a lot of us.

And yes it is blasphemy to install an LSX engine into a DeTomaso Pantera.....since they came with 351 Clevelands.

The very reason I mentioned it.

PS--My apologies to Jim for muddying up his For Sale thread.

Second.

Wow, [moderated]. Frankly I don't care of you worked for Matt building K20 conversions or not... and even if you have been wrenching and tinkering with this stuff before getting a driver's license.

*Your statements are blind with little historical perspective on automotive design history.

As you bash the Fiat SOHC engine and transaxle verbally here, you need to know a few facts...

Honda as a car company built decent cars during the late 80's and 90's come 00' Honda management choose to go for more profit which results in a good number of problems with their products. The K20 is a good engine and it you search the Xweb archives, you will discover some of the origins of where the idea of installing the Honda K20 engine and transaxle into the exxe. That said, answer what kind of engines was Honda building for 4 wheel automobiles back in the mid 1960's ???

It is easy to bash and be critical of designs when compared to what is being produced today using modern computer modeling, CNC production, modern material science and testing. So, where did the basic foundation from all of what Honda has designed come from... Did Honda do all this design work and stuff all on their own, by themselves isolated from the rest of the automotive world ???

As for stock Honda's being so very great.. Their history at LeMons racing says otherwise. The B, D and H series all have a habit of spitting con rods and popping head gaskets. They also like to grenade cv joints and axles. What may go for 300,000 miles on a easily drive street car might not last very long at all when put into race duty.

Some where there was a derogatory comment about Fiat's being total rust bucks and being the worst of the bunch. Fact is, all cars from that era had similar corrosion problems. If you claim to have worked and wrenched on sheer number of cars claimed, there would have been a FAR better perspective on this topic. By the way, Bertone built the bodies since day one as the x1/9 was never really a Fiat product from the very start. Fiat commissioned it and supported technically and mechanically for production yet the packaging design was done by Gandini at Bertone and built on Bertone's small production facility shortly after Fiat stopped assembling them in their production facility.

The x1/9 was never really a Fiat, it was Bertone's design that became their production car.

Facts are, the vast majority of cars from that era and even more so today are designed to be disposable. Some of the most coveted collectors cars from that era were never intended to endure for as long as they have. More than few of these are total textured brown shells that are brought back from the scrap heap due to market value. Those who really know vintage Ferrari's also know how cheaply they were made (where the customer/owner/driver would never know or look) and how mechanically fragile they really are.

As for the Volkswagen VR6 narrow angle V6, the origins of the deigns came from Lancia. It does not have that good history of surviving being upped in power beyond problems with the oil pump, timing chain-tensioner and...

I'll stop here..

Bernice

Yes, terribly young--only 39, and only working on cars since before I had a driver's license--and my experience of working on Fiats exclusively is limited to three years, including building Whitstone's, Berubi's, Oliveira's and MacKenzie's K20 cars as well as the supercharged K20 reboot of Kevin Stoudt's car and Rehan's 1.6L X in Dubai and tons of maintenance projects from general refurb on up. So, you're right. I don't know much.

Not sure what Honda's rust problems from the 1970s have to do with anything. All import bodies from the 1970s and 1980s had serious rust problems, with Fiat leading the pack.

Some selector fork problems, but nothing to prevent the overwhelming majority from being capable of reliably handling 350HP in stock form, and NOTHING compared to the steel-bushed nightmare the X was delivered with.

2001: A Space Odyssey allusions aside, no, it was not delivered from Sinai. The K20 engine is one in a long line of Honda engines that were the result of tireless engineering and trial.

I wouldn't say wrecking yards are full of the A2 and Z1 versions MWB uses in swaps, as those engines are hard to find for less than $3K with trans and harness. Garden variety low output K20s? Sure, no problem. Midrange is surprisingly strong as well. If you're clear of 3K RPM, there is seldom a reason to downshift.

Sure. Nothing wrong with the B series engines. Even the D series engines would be leaps and bounds above the single cam Fiat.

I didn't say anything about a mystical quality. It is simply the best engineered and most powerful engine available for the cost that fits reasonably well into the engine bay.

I lobbied heavily to build a prototype VR6 X. The VR is a super engine and would certainly make for a more economical build than the K20--as long as you stick to the 12V. If you want to go whole hog with a 24V 3.2L, that's going to cost. But $500 whole 12V powertrains are a cinch to come by. $500 for 175HP versus $3000+ for 220 is an easy call for a lot of us.

The very reason I mentioned it.

Second.

Bertone had great vision

We are so very fortunate that Bertone and his design team used such a modern drivetrain layout. The Fiat 128 parts remain inexpensive and fairly available. But how convenient, in terms of longevity, that we can likely keep our 42+ year old cars on the road with any number of current production fwd drivetrains.

VR6?

When considering the VR6, did you take any measurements or come up with a plan for what it would take? It sounds like a cool swap.

There is a LOT more to making a properly balanced road car than just the engine..

I'm simply not Nationalistic enough to limit what engine, gear box and related to make the exxe chassis perform at it's best. What does matter is fully understanding the limitations of the exxe packaging, it's chassis and what can be made to function properly.

The Honda K20 engine and gear gear box does well given it's size, weight, mechanical performance and availability of stock and performance bits for this combo. There is also cost -vs- performance, this is where this Honda package makes good sense.

There is Honda Performance Development, the "go fast" arm of Honda USA that offers packaged race engines complete with ECU, custom mapping and more that can be an alternative or upgrade over the stock K20 offering.

If one were to consider Italian offerings, there is the later four valve version of the Lampredi twin cam with or without turbo. If a V6 is wanted, the Alfa Romeo would be a good choice. While this conversion has been done, it is not a simple fit. It is worth noting that Cosworth wanted to purchase the design, production and production rights to this Alfa Romeo V6. Cosworth would have altered it and offered it as a race engine. This did not happen as Alfa Romeo said NO to the deal offered.

While there were many other Fiat engine/gear boxes that could have matched well with the exxe, they were never officially imported to the US car market back in the day. There is the possibility of installing the Abarth 500 engine/gear box in the exxe.. what prevents this is modern ECU driven complexity found in production cars of today.

I'm not a fan of current most petro German engines for a host of technical reasons, yet the German's built some really great engines in the past. The VW TDI would be the exception. This would make a very interesting engine/gearbox combo for the exxe chassis.

What must be noted about the exxe chassis, it remains excellent and very modern to this day. Consider for a moment how many chassis designed in the mid-late 1960's that can accept adjustable struts with adjustable dampers (this allows the chassis to be properly corner weighted), modifications to allow camber adjustment on all four corners (with good camber curves), front and rear toe adjustable that stays put (un-like current production rear engine porsche's which has eccentrics for toe adjust that go out of whack), bump steer adjustable, front castor sort of adjustable and is not too heavy. Then we have chassis rigidity which is good for a open top car form this era.

One can use many words in these discussions and debates, yet it all comes down to what are the expectations for any car. All cars designed and produced are a very specific set of trade offs intended to meet very specific design goals. There is no such thing as the "best" car, there is only the best for for a given set of needs and expectations. Most of this applies to any given engine/gear box/chassis and driver ergonomics..

No matter how much any car designed for public roads for the typical driver, it will never have or can have the performance level of a race car specifically designed and built for the environment they are intended to operate in. This is the truth and reality of modifying any mass production road car.

Bernice

So I am a bit confused at the way some people look at the engine swap issue. First, let me say that I am not a big fan of Honda's or Japanese cars in general. That being said I do respect that some very impressive cars are built by Japanese companies, like the Miata. Anyone who thinks the Miata isn't impressive need only attend an autocross to see that Miatas from stock to heavily modded, are the cars to beat. On the opposite side of the spectrum are American muscle cars. I am not a huge fan of them either as their handling is awful. But nonetheless I respect the fact that many of them can do a sub 6 second 0-60 and have upwards of 300 hp. No one would say that GM's LS series engines are not impressive. They have impressive hp stock and when modified, well, the sky is the limit. I have a Jeep Wrangler with Chevy engine in it and no one has ever said why would you do that to your Jeep. The reason why is that the Chevy engine is better than the Chrysler engine in all respects: hp, torque, aftermarket support, reliability, ease of finding someone to repair it, etc. Even hardcore Jeep enthusiasts are like that's a badass swap.
The X 1/9 engine is a great engine, but it will never produce the kind of power that a K20 can (there are K20s producing upward of 1000 hp). This does not make the Fiat engine a bad engine, but if you are looking for 240+ Hp with reasonable reliability, you are not going to get it from the Fiat 1.5. I have never seen a Fiat 1.5 with 240+ hp. I am sure it could be done, but you would have the "grenade engine" mentioned above. I don't have the money to rebuild a grenade engine every time I push it to the limits. The K20 on the other hand can hit 240-260 hp with stock compression and internals and easily hit 300 hp and still be reliable. As far as swaps go, the K20 is the 4 cylinder equivalent to the LS series GM engines with all the aftermarket support and stuff listed above. Don't believe me, consider that the Ariel Atom was built around the K series engine and it is one of the fastest and best handling cars ever made (they also swap K20s into Lotus Elise and Exiges).
So everytime I read a negative post about the K20 swap I think about the guy in a Corvette who looks down his nose at an X 1/9 and laughs. All he knows is that Fiat makes small, cheap, unreliable, econobox cars. The Vette guy doesn't know the potential of an X 1/9 and just thinks its a small piece of junk. This is the same attitude I see from some people on these forums about the K20 engine. So yes, it is a Honda engine, which are known as rice burners, but no one can deny that it is an impressive engine and one of the best 4 cylinder swaps for any car. So, keep an open mind and imagine what 240+ hp would feel like in an X 1/9.

The concept...

...for me would be to not keep the "italian" spirit, if there is such a thing, but to keep the spirit of the car, the machine.
Meaning that the engine should go along with what makes the X special in character.
To me, that would be a small, light engine that loves to rev and sounds great. If that happens to be a Honda V-Tec, so be it. What I would definitely not want is a modern small displacement turbo with a bunch of torque, running out of steam at 5500rpm and sounding like an appliance.
No, turbo noises do not make this better.
And no, a Fiat badge on the engine also wouldn't make this better either.

So everytime I read a negative post about the K20 swap I think about the guy in a Corvette who looks down his nose at an X 1/9 and laughs. All he knows is that Fiat makes small, cheap, unreliable, econobox cars. The Vette guy doesn't know the potential of an X 1/9 and just thinks its a small piece of junk. This is the same attitude I see from some people on these forums about the K20 engine. So yes, it is a Honda engine, which are known as rice burners, but no one can deny that it is an impressive engine and one of the best 4 cylinder swaps for any car. So, keep an open mind and imagine what 240+ hp would feel like in an X 1/9.
This mentality happens in everything people do from bicycles to cars, in sports, and camping. You name it and there will be elitists (in some cases a holes) that look down on what some one else has or does. Engine swaps and modifications have been happening practically from day one of the automobile. That is how a lot of innovations have come about. That is also one of the big reasons drag racing got popular. I have never owned a vehicle I haven't personalizes in some way from bolt on performance goodies to complete engine swaps and don't forget body work. It al boils down to the fact that they are just cars and there is nothing sacred about them so get your hacksaws and have fun.

As usual

I think Ulix has nailed it. I understand my comments here are self-serving, but...When driving the K20 X I "feel" nothing that tells me I'm not in a very fast X1/9. The X1/9 character, driveability, cornering, handling, are all exactly the same, or possibly better. It's just a very, very fast X1/9.

The "Italian" nature is all about the body, interior and chassis design rather than engine and transmission to me. For the A/C repair just done a couple of days ago I used Lexus parts. I still am driving an Italian car, even though many parts are not from Turin.

However even saying that, the #1 thing I have noticed with this car (and maybe Pete or other K20 owners could chime in) : when I drive the car now I do not have the slightest thought that it might break down. It is as reliable as any modern car. That frankly is priceless.

Finally, I think Jonathan Pack ("longitudinal") has been a huge asset to the X1/9 history, as is Matt Brannon, Henk, Chris Obert, Ulix, Bernice, Mac, Pete Whitstone, Bob Brown and many, many others. None of us should call each other a troll. None of us, in my humble opinion, are one. I'm truly saddened that a thread I started devolved into that.

what a great debate, what motor oil and tires are best?

lol

This is a Troll thread in general no? I say we embrace it.

I think we could agree that x1/9's are cool cars with unique benefits, some of which are definately NOT overly powerful or reliable drivetrains. Those of us racing them know there is potential but it doesn't come cheap (it never does).

The way I look at it: Taking a nice original car and transplanting it ruins the originality of the car, and since they don't make them anymore it is somewhat of a shame. That said, I believe in American ideals and will defend someone's right to do said modification because it is their car and their money :) Now taking a basketcase and fixing / transplanting it... who could argue saving something that was done anyway is a bad thing?

Well said, Jim.

And I do like the modern reliability of the Honda unit.

As far as people that don't like non-Italian swaps, that's fine, that's their cup of tea. It's clearly not mine. A well-respected member of this forum once told me that I "wrecked my X1/9 by putting that Honda motor in there". The funny thing is, out of the dozens of people from the X1/9 world that I have given a ride to, I have not had one of them climb out of my car after the ride and express that sentiment.

Pete

A CAR is DESCRIBED by its BODY in most racing circles...

and then what it is powered by, if different from the norm. Secondly, what all the other old guys said!

Here are some "examples" of other FIATS powered by different sources...

A-Pair-of-AAFA-50thWinter-J.jpg

'37 Fiat Topolino with a BB Blown Chevy engine...

I have a regular photo of one of these "licensed" for the street with a Blown "Mouse Motor" that completes the Topolino (Little Mouse) theme of this Fiat. It had a CA plate hanging down and wired on its rear WING swinging in the breeze. I have an idea it was actually off someones station wagon though...

Looked very close to this, except it had headlights and a huge wing on the back, painted an '80s Mint Green...

images

Hey... if this guy has one... then its gotta be OK!

xaypy2ut1ineky3mjbge.jpg

Then there was "Quad Al"...

iPhotoiPhoto-mailtmp-2.jpg

is that all wheel drive?

Tony,

I've never seen that before. 4 Allisons in an Anglia (not in, but bolted on). Do you know if they geared them together or did they run each corner independently? That's a lot of torque.

JimV

Intellectually I can appreciate what a modern drivetrain swap (and I think we need to start using the term drivetrain) and the suspension mods that allow swapping in bigger wheels, tires, and brakes can do for our cars.

But this discussion needs to maintain intellectual honesty and avoid the tyranny of the status quo, meaning we have to realize that it is grossly unfair to compare technology from the late Sixties to that of the late Nineties and 2000s.

Back