yet another tire thread... 185/60/13 - so I'm gonna try these

myronx19

True Classic
I refuse to use Chinese tires on my car. Nankang? NoThanks..

I have a set of 185/60/13 Yokohama A-539 on my X right now, they're good - but not round - they never were as they came out of the mold that way. I couldn't find anyone to shave/true them, but I think I've finally found someone who can . The vibration is driving me nuts! (they balance perfectly)

So, since my Yoko's were made in 2005, on the car since 2006 and it's probably time to switch (10 years is fine, my tires look like brand new, they're still gummy and stick like glue (zero cracks). My car spends 95% of the time in a climate controlled garage, hence why they still look new. They're off the car for winter storage.

Now, I have a brand new (essentially NOS) set of Yokohama A-539 that I've had properly stored in bags, but they're also of 2005 vintage. I suspect they're not round either. I'd have no issue driving these to 20 years old based on how I've stored them, how little I drive and how I store my car. Let's not debate how long a tire should be used in this thread. I've owned my car 25 years, it's had three pairs of shoes in 32 years (Pirelli P6, Yokohama A509 which were awesome!, and these Yokohama A539)

However, I've found these Turkish made tires by Petlas. I contacted the manufacturer, and I can buy them locally for about $100CAD/tire. They're H rated summer tires, and I believe they list a V rated tire on the Petlas site in 185/60/13. They're DOT approved.

Here's an ebay link - but I don't plan on buying them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TYRES-VELOX-...prg=20140423084956&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=330800147706

Official site:
http://www.petlas.com/en/tire/velox-sport-pt711/PT711/

I think I'm going to buy a set of 5 (I have 5 CD91's) and try them out for next year. If there's anyone else in Ontario that would love a set, maybe we can all get a better deal from the supplier (they're distributed/represented by Agricultural tire suppliers in Ontario for now - as they don't have a big market here for passenger tires).

It's either that - or find a fresh set of Yokohama A539 which appear to still be made (limited market for Japan/UK/Europe?) - I just need to find some and the date code.. last thing I need is old tires!

Has anyone seen/tried these Petlas tires? Thoughts?

Geez Myron... Chinese, Japanese... same thing?

I have a set of Michelin's on my DD that I love. Its my second set in over 124,000 miles... and they are made in JAPAN.

I saw good old AMERICAN Goodyears yesterday at WalMart that were made in CHILE!

I no longer limit myself to WHERE my tires are made as even WITHIN a brand name they can come from different places for the same size and style of tire! I think my last set of Michelin's were made in Turkey.

I just wrote the Nankang folks earlier this morning as they say they manufacture a 175/60, 185/60 and a 205/60 x 13 tire. The only supplier I have found so far is in the UK and they are reasonably priced, but shipping is unreasonably expensive at over $400 bucks!

I'll let ya know what I find... Hell, they may even have tires made in America! HA!

I see Achilles also makes...

175/60 and 165/70 x 13s...

I'm unsure of availability though...

175/60s are made in the 122 series as well as the Platinum 7 series.

Just an FYI...

Geez Myron... Chinese, Japanese... same thing?

I no longer limit myself to WHERE my tires are made as even WITHIN a brand name they can come from different places for the same size and style of tire! I think my last set of Michelin's were made in Turkey.

I just wrote the Nankang folks earlier this morning as they say they manufacture a 175/60, 185/60 and a 205/60 x 13 tire. The only supplier I have found so far is in the UK and they are reasonably priced, but shipping is unreasonably expensive at over $400 bucks!

Hey Tony,

No! Chinese made tires vs. Japanese are worlds apart. Toyo, Yokohama are the two big Japanese tire companies that come to mind. I trust their engineering is 100% spot on and they won't smell like a Harbor Freight store when my car is in the garage :) I've seen (and smelled) some Chinese tires that knocked me off my feet, no kidding.. the VOC's were overpowering.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/should-i-buy-tires-made-in-china.html

Basically - tires to me are a HUGE performance part on my car. Handling, braking, ride & safety are important - as well as the look & prestige (I'd pick Pirelli if they made a tire that fit!, being an Italian tire company - albeit my new Pirelli P7's are made in Mexico - which doesn't bother me).

Anyway, I have no idea if these Petlas tires are any good either, but they meet some of my criteria:

H rated - yep
185/60/13 - hell yeah!!!
nice tread design - not bad
available - yep!

I'll try them out I guess.

BTW: On my race hauler, I had some cheaper tires - then I won a set of BF Goodrich heavy duty tires - WOW! they were freaking amazing! It was like a whole new truck! Heh, maybe they were R compound :)

Oh, and Tony - I had two sets of tires shipped from the UK, mind you - that was in 2006 - via parcel post (USPS kind of deal) and it was pretty cheap!

I guess I'll update this thread this time next year with my review of the Petlas tires :)

Chinese... Mexicanese... same thing...

HAHAHA...

Just pulling your chain here... and I agree 1000% (as they say on Jerry Springer) about the fumes from HF equipment. What the hell are they using anyway. But it does keep the wife outta my hair when I'm shopping there. She hits the 99 Cent store next to it for our grandkid's school supplies... for their entire class! I thinks all that stuff comes from Mexico also...

See PM!

HAHAHA...

Just pulling your chain here... and I agree 1000% (as they say on Jerry Springer) about the fumes from HF equipment. What the hell are they using anyway. But it does keep the wife outta my hair when I'm shopping there. She hits the 99 Cent store next to it for our grandkid's school supplies... for their entire class! I thinks all that stuff comes from Mexico also...

See PM!

heh, I know :) One day I certainly hope to meet you in person, I'm sure we would get along great!

haha.. yes, good point about the smell of HF - keeps the ladies out. We have a similar shopping experience, called Princess Auto - it's ok, but HF is still better in my opinion. But they both smell the same.

I have no idea why that rubber stinks so bad. I've tried to do some research on that, as my tool chest had a rubber pad between the top chest and roller cabinet - and woooo - what a stench even after a year! I tossed it.

I need to visit HF again soon. Last time I was there was 2006!

Hi Myron,

I have these tyres on my X

As new they were not really exciting, but in the meanwhile I like them.

Regards, Heinz. :italia:

Thanks Heinz!! I think they look great! Nice square sides, mind you - those are at least a 5.5" wide wheel, right?

Do you have a close up shot of the side of the tire? Where the markings are? I'd love to see how it looks. My Yokohamas are quite nice looking, the older Yoko's I had were even better (A509) - but I think the Petlas will be fine.

I have no idea how good they are from a performance stand point, so I look forward to hearing your feedback once you get a few km on them - they're still fresh as fresh can be!

Thanks for the pics! Fantastic!

I have bought from Demon Tweeks with great results

I am running Falken ZE-512s on the 87 X1/9 and really like them. The ZE-912s have replaced the ZE-512s and Demon Tweeks has them in stock.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/tyres-2

A few years ago, I had them shipped surface USPS for less than $100. It took 4 weeks to arrive, but I was in hurry.

There are choices if you look hard.

Stop by when yur in the 'hood, I'll treat you to a FREE...

Screwdriver Set, a VOM, or a Magnetic Parts Tray and with my CLOUT, also give you a 20% discount off one item of your choice at MY local HF store.

(I was once enrolled in their VIP program as well... but that's another long, but great story!)

What a guy, I am... huh!

HA!

I bought 8 912's when Tire easy had them a couple years back

I bought the tires and bagged them for storage.
IM002992.jpg

I will be mounting a set this year at some point. Given the experience some others have mentioned with TireEasy tires (although not the Falkens specifically)... I just hope they are round. :)

tires

first, take the tires off and check rotor run out then check run out at the hub sans the rotor.
then take the x to a shop that does dynamic balancing which will tell you what the corner the problem lies.
front or rear, it could be a bearing, or (rear a cv joint). or something that was not installed correctly. don't know, wasn't there for the install, so check all that before condemning the tires and the people that sold you them.
caa caa occurs.
back in the day we had to move the tires from front to rear to balance them, especially on the 128.
hopes this helps!
mikemo90*aol.com

Petlas tires Ontario

Myron

I would be interested in getting 4 of these tires for my 128, I am located in Waterloo. What local dealer carries these tires.

thanks
Rino

Hey Myron. Might just be potentially a good find on the Petlas tires, but.....

I'm kinda wondering why you get them when you still have 4 brand new Yoka's in your stash. You seem to like their performance. If you don't use them soon they will eventually become too old to use. Just sounds like you are worried they might not be round enough for your liking.

Since I sense you would really like to use them, why not mount them up and check them out. They are not doing you much good just sitting there in your basement.....

Quite possibly they are just fine. Possible too your wheels aren't straight. Have you checked them for run-out and wobble ?

I have here a tire machine and a nice Hoffmann two plane balancer. You could come out here some Saturday when I'm not busy and we could putz around. My balancer is rigged so that I can raise the guard when in motion so we can check the wheels and tires visually for run-out and wobble.

We could also shift the tires on the wheels. Sometimes helps. If you have 4 new and 4 good used Yokas, hard to believe that we couldn't get a set of at least 4 to balance up and run perfectly.....

Mike... By DYNAMIC balancing...

Do you mean the old on-car balancer like the Hunter?

484327.jpg

I used one of these for YEARS with great results!

All I can find these days are ROAD_FORCE Balancers that "emulate" the FORCE of weight on the tire, but only "simulate" the SPEED.

I've spent a lot of money trying to balance tires with one of these and have had some mixed results.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhgM2TcQpI"]Hunter Road Force® GSP9700 Wheel Balancer - YouTube[/ame]

If there is another DYNAMIC balancer out there... let me know. I'm even considering finding an old Hunter...

A great thread on tread!

Hi Guys,

Good info here - all I can say is that I'm quite tired of the vibration.

So, to rule out that it's not the car, I've measured runout at the rotor before using a dial indicator. Dead nuts perfect. This winter I'll measure the hubs, but I suspect they're fine since the rotors measured ok.

My wheels were professionally straightened and refinished in 2006 when I mounted these tires - big bucks.. but worth it. (five CD91, all slightly bent on the inside - but they were nicely refinished) One wheel has a slight bend now, hit a pot hole but it's very minor and it's actually not the root cause of the vibration. I will straighten it this winter, doesn't need to be refinished as it's the inside.

I should take a video of how the out of round condition looks, as the outside of the tire is perfectly fine - just the inside has radial runout, it gets "smaller", not bigger if you know what I mean.

Doug - well, hmm... you're right - I do like these Yokos - they're nice! I just don't want to find out that there are no good tires left out there when I finally need new ones. The Petlas are true summer tires, where the Falken are not. It's a sports car, so summer tires are a must. R compounds are my last resort I guess, and they're a challenge too. I don't think the tire's age is that big of a deal as long as they're in great shape and properly cared for. I found an interesting article published by Hagerty on this very topic - they certainly understand that vintage cars don't get driven much. They interviewed Coker and another classic car tire supplier and they store tires for years until they're sold - carefully stored of course. I may need to take you up on your offer! :) and thanks!! Very kind of you.

Tony - I took my rims/tires to a shop with a RoadForce and they couldn't get the little arm thing to fit inside my CD91!!! WTF?!? So, they couldn't balance them. My friends have a dynamic balancer, I did my Alfa that way. Worked like a charm!

This winter I'm working on suspension and brakes.. much overdue. I've got new SS flex lines (that I bought years ago), better top mounts, Plaia plates, and new rear control arm bushings. I did the front suspension in 2006, new control arms, new struts all around and tie rod ends + track rod bushings. Next year I want vibration free driving :)

Oh, check these guys out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAasIWzUJaU

Oh, Rino - the dealer is called Bach-Run Equipment. Close to Kitchener I guess. I emailed a guy named Chris (if I remember correctly!) He got back to me quickly, and said he can get them. Maybe we can order them together and save on the shipping to Ontario. I imagine they can stuff them into a tractor tire :)

http://www.bachrunfarms.com/petlas_tires.php

Closest size to original

Hi Myron
About 5 years ago I bought 4 Sumo 195/60/13 the closest size to my original 165/70/13.
Although I slightly regret the trimming required to the front wheel well cowling, I have never had any vibration even at high very high speeds.
About 3 years ago I bought 4 Falken 185/60/13 as reserves.
By chance does Peltas offer 195/60/13.

Joe A

Anotehr tire story

Myron

That tractor place/dealer is 20 mins from my house. I would interested in ordering 4 tires. I could easily pick them up. When were you thinking of ordering them? Send me an email and we can talk.

thanks
Rino

Back