Just out of curiosity....

engelme

True Classic
Why would the battery on an x1/9 discharge spontaneously over several weeks if the car is just sitting in the garage? I can see it in a modern car replete with all manner of electrical doohickeys drawing power, but frankly, the only thing in my car that draws power is the clock and perhaps the stereo. Insight appreciated.

In a word...

The Clock. (I guess that's 2 words... :))
The clock takes way too much power to keep the clock chip (internal) alive.
Old technology.

Wow! Really?

I had no idea. We've been having terrible weather here lately, and with travel and clinical duties I've not been able to drive the X in 4 weeks. Went out to the garage to take here for a spin today and got nothing but dim lights in the door cards briefly. I've got the trickle charger (battery tender Jr. ) on her now. How long do you think before I can try to start her up?

With the trickle charge,

You should be good for tomorrow AM if the battery is still good.
Consider leaving the trickle charge on it when you park it. (home)

Good luck!

Why would the battery on an x1/9 discharge spontaneously over several weeks if the car is just sitting in the garage? I can see it in a modern car replete with all manner of electrical doohickeys drawing power, but frankly, the only thing in my car that draws power is the clock and perhaps the stereo. Insight appreciated.

The age of the battery can have something to do with discharging as well as electric clock and any juice your stereo might pull. Lead acid batteries self discharge at just under 1% every 24 hours. The older the battery the higher the internal resistance so the higher the % rate of self discharge. If a battery is drawn down below minimum level the battery can be damaged to the point that it will never be reliable again. Even a new battery drawn down too far can be ruined.

Yeah, Mr. Engle, I know of your plight, but not with my X!

I also have a stereo as well as the clock and my battery will still start the car well after a month or so. I don't usually let it sit that long though. (I have a $50 AutoZone battery in the X, a $90 dollar one in the Vette.)

I have a 10 year older car with a clock and same kinda stereo... and it won't last but a few days! I chased down the DRAWS for over a few weeks to finally decide, it was NOTHING but the clock usually, and POSSIBLY a worn ignition switch that MAY engage, or partially engage an Alarm Relay. Anyway... getting to that battery to jump it on this OLD Vette is a real PIA. So I wired a connector to the + Post of the alternator and also to a - Ground point... and it exits out a side vent where I plug it into a small trickle charger when parked.

I've been meaning to do the same with the X also but just never got to it. Even a $5 dollar trickle charger from HF will work... and has worked for me, for years with no problems. I believe the one on the Vette was about $30 bucks, and I have a bigger, faster charger that I use for quick charges every so often on other projects... about $50 bucks.

HTH...

Hopefully the battery comes back to life

This evening when I got home from work, I went right out to the garage to see my trickle charger still glowing red. Battery tender Jr's flash red at 80% charge, then turns green at full charge. I was hoping to see green, but not even flashing red. Battery may be compromised. I'll try to turn her over after dinner. Fingers crossed.

I guess I should be glad the clock in my Scorpion only works when it wants to. I do tend to put the smart charger on it every once in a while though.

Ya, I do feel stupid

I should have just disconnected the battery, but I remained ever hopeful that the weather would clear on a day when I had the time to take her out for a spirited run. After several weeks I get my chance and....thud (sound of my heart, not the car). My other X has the permanent connector for hooking up the trickle charger, so I had to use the alligator clips for charging Mia's battery. Unfortunately, I got essentially no charging overnight, as the voltmeter shows only 8.4V. I'm pretty sure my trickle charger works, as I use it during the winter frequently. So either the alligator clips don't work as well as the permanent connector, or the battery is shot. Took it to autozone to see if we can charge it, otherwise it's time for a new battery. Perhaps it's time to invest in a couple more trickle chargers so I don't have this problem again. Or lose the clock.... Or perhaps I should do what Tony suggests and install a plug. Got any pictures Tony? I like the idea.

A trickle charger may not have the oomph to bring it back, try a normal (but smart) charger. Or a jump start then charging it. Sometimes it takes some charger muscle to bring a battery back up.

jump it and drive around for a while, get it tested at a shop in route, worst case, they have to jump it again, or you buy a new battery on the spot (go to a "good" shop though, the folks at the chain stores aren't always trained enough to test things correctly)

Charged

Sounds like the clock, but worst case I've had the voltage regulator go out and drain my battery too. My X has been in hibernation for several months now and I have a $65 Auto Zone battery in it. Somehow it keeps a charge, and even when I let it sit for one or two months it starts right up within a few tries!

Back