My Fiat x1/9 manifold repair

arc12111

True Classic
I was wondering when I install my new manifold gasket, do I need to use any type of sealer. Will I be okay just installing the gasket as is? If anyone can tell me I would really appreciate the help. Thank you.

I was wondering when I install my new manifold gasket, do I need to use any type of sealer. Will I be okay just installing the gasket as is? If anyone can tell me I would really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Just the gasket, no sealer needed.

Do the studs still have good threads? (if not, you should "double nut" them to extract and replace), the nuts should spin on decently (copper nuts are often recommended so they don't corrode to the studs as much I guess). Make sure the mating surfaces of the manifolds (exhaust and intake runners) are clean. Tighten everything up in sequence; lightly tighten the manifold then the exhaust then go back and snug up (don't go crazy!) and then the exhaust. At least that's what I do, on my '81 with fuel injection the exhaust position and manifold/engine position fight each other a bit, perhaps due to sagging motor mounts. My point is don't over stress any one connection point until the others are also happy.
You might want to go to the User CP menu at the top of the window here and add info about your car to your signature as carburetor vs. fuel injection, 1300/1500 4 speed vs. 5 speed, all that makes a difference, nice for others to know at a glance.

Back